Game Day Pre Season 2 - Port vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Farrell’s game was the most interesting I thought. Looks like they are trying to get him to win his own ball. Started around the centre bounces a lot.
I thought he went alright. He looked like a wingman/midfielder and the goal he kicked was a classy way to finish an inspired passage of play from Gray and Amon. He also looked pretty good providing a short option for our defenders when they were trying to clear the backline.

As Macca said, it is probably between him and Motlop (and ultimately Mead or Bergman too) for that extra flanker/wingman we select in our 22. Motlop got the nod after Marsh 1 and Farrell after Marsh 2.

And I also think it’s a bit weird that Marshall only played 60% of the game compared to MG’s 73% and Dixon’s 63%.

Surely he would have the tank to play a little more than that. Only Lycett (inj) Huston (sun out?), Ebert, Drew and Lienert (who all played a half) were less.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably because he played the U23 game?

Marshall was much, much better. He had the sort of presence we have been asking for and attacked the ball confidently in the air. I'm frustrated by his 50-50 set-shot goal conversion though. We've spent more than a decade lacking any sort of confidence in Westhoff's ability to finish off his big marks by kicking accurately for goal. Really hope Marshall can be more reliable than that.

Our defenders are legit

The reason they got beaten 1 on 1 is because mids got carved early...and diabolical turnovers

There was only 2, 1 on 1where I thought the defenders were beaten McKenzie early and Bonner late.

But for the most part our defenders are absolutely solid with improvement to come with experience.

Last edited:
Good win yesterday, watched the replay in the evening (cost me $25 to reactivate kayo)

Few things.

In the context a good win, good signs by the young guys but yeah it's preseason so can't give it anymore credence than that

Marshall, Georgiadis, SPP, Rozee looking good

The old crew (Boak Gray Rockford) seemed like they were still just blowing out the cobwebs, saw enough in them to give them a tick

I missed Marsh 1 and only just forgot we had Burton when so I was delighted to see him again. Hopefully a big year for him

Bonner eh, he did land a tackle but he and Amon occasionally turn it over in bad parts of the ground

McKenzie, I've said it before. Brings that big man speed and agility combined with that medium defender accountability: a perfect SANFL defender. Why is he called the cannon when I've never seen him live up to that (when it counts)

Rather, I'd prefer to keep seeing those long goals from Hartlett thank you

Butters - again with the deft touches at critical moments

All up, considering who was on the park, very promising signs

Lastly, there were lots of melts on this but I didn't see the umpiring being any worse than we usually get, maybe I'm desensitized but gee the commentary was the aural equivalent of lemon juice in the eye

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lastly, there were lots of melts on this but I didn't see the umpiring being any worse than we usually get, maybe I'm desensitized but gee the commentary was the aural equivalent of lemon juice in the eye

One of the problems I have judging umpiring from Foxtel's telecasts, is differentiating between the actual umpiring and the commentators' interpretation of what the frees should be. I ended up shaking my head much more about the commentators' calls for frees yesterday than the umps.

I don't think there are any other sports in the world in which commentators voice their opinions about umpiring decisions/non-decisions more than AFL. Dwayne Russell is relentless in this. Every bloody contest raises the possibility of a push slightly in the back, or a slightly high tackle etc.
It's much more enjoyable muting the game.

One of the problems I have judging umpiring from Foxtel's telecasts, is differentiating between the actual umpiring and the commentators' interpretation of what the frees should be. I ended up shaking my head much more about the commentators' calls for frees yesterday than the umps.

I don't think there are any other sports in the world in which commentators voice their opinions about umpiring decisions/non-decisions more than AFL. Dwayne Russell is relentless in this. Every bloody contest raises the possibility of a push slightly in the back, or a slightly high tackle etc.
It's much more enjoyable muting the game.

Yeah its simply appalling. Unprofessional biased whingers proudly yelling about how little they understand the rules of the game. Dwayne and poo two of the absolute worst.

The issue i have is that i actually need the play by play, especially for opposition players

The second round is the point by which the draft will be most compromised when compared to usual pick priority, so its a weird strategy unless we are using them for points for Schofield/NGAs

Its kind of like trading into the first pick of second round in the draft. Regardless of whether you plan to use that pick, its a valuable commodity to everyone else.

In this case there's a tonne of clubs with academy/father son players that need points. That means we can extract good value from these picks regardless.

I enjoyed Derwaynes commentary in the third when Doggies kicked a goal to go 20 points up...”A much needed goal against the grain...”

Thoughts:

- Ebert is no longer best 22. We just have better players than him.

- Marshall will play every game this year.

- If a fast team like the Dogs still struggles to move the ball against us on a larger ground like that, it bodes well for our defence.

- Georgiades will play as many games as his body allows.

- Dixon is set to rip open games.

- Lycett is basically a 2014 Lobbe that can kick goals. And that's just fine with me.

- Bonner is getting better and better. He's played himself into my 22.

- We're about a 5-10, semi-final exit team at the moment in terms of ball movement, defence and skills.

Lots of talk here about McKenzie being poor but he really wasnt that bad at all except for some simple errors which we see a lot at this time of year (e.g. missing the punch against Bruce in the first qtr).

The main thing McKenzie has over Lienert is his positioning is good. McKenzie reads the play better and gets easy intercepts because he positions well - Lienert doesnt do this.

McKenzies kicking out of half back is still exceptional and nowhere near as one-sided as Lienert. When Watts is back at full capacity he might take this spot, but there's no way Id prefer Lienert to McKenzie.

Watched the replay ... 20 points down with 10 minutes to go .. No Lycett, Dixon, or Houston.
Then our players went into overdrive and kicked 5 goals to win by 10 points.
I know its only a practice match, but geez I hope they can do that during the season.
I wonder if Houston is OK after that sling tackle.
Speaking of Troy Chaplin - he was the master finger pointer of his era. Rewatching the last quarter of the match yesterday, the finger pointing role was ably filled by Brad Ebert especially around stoppages. Is this a sign of Brad's decline?
No. Its called experience around the ball. Hodge was great at telling teammates where to go, he never declined. Brad isn't best 22 anymore but not for pointing, just current ability.

Preseason games remind me of tennis players who seemingly hit effortless winners when returning a service fault. It’s amazing how the same player can tighten right up seconds later when you add value to the point.

The Port board's master troll just casually lays another one out there. Well played.

I didn’t think Bonner should have played at the start of last year, but he did and he got better by the end of the year.

He *s up a bit but he’s not the defensive liability he has been.

That being said, he wasn’t in my original best 22 for this year, but neither was Powell-Pepper or Motlop. I’ve always said there is a spot for him when he learns how to defend better.

You are allowed to change your opinion based on watching games, you know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back