Training Pre-season 2016/2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Went to open training this morning but only got there about 9.30.

Not a lot to report but I'll post what I remember. It was mainly ball skills and non-contact stuff.

- Dustin Martin, Griff, and Hamspon the only noticeable absentees
- Morris, Rance, Graham, and Soldo in the rehab group doing laps and sprint work. Rance and Morro looking very fit and we're seriously motoring.
- Maric looks to have shed about 5-10kg. He has also cut the mullet, rip. There is a noticeable size difference between he and Nankervis
- Menadue has put on some size in the arms and no longer stands out as being rake thin.
- Markov had an athletes body but still needs a lot more weight (5-10kg)
- Conca looks in good nick
- Bolton very light, noticeably lighter than Stengle.
- Garthwaite\moore quite wirey
- Butler looks super fit.

Skill wise we were just okay. A few too many balls going to ground. Houli, Vlaustin, Hunt, Short and Markov did the kicking out. Chol and Elton seemed to be training more as forwards.

Lennon, Brandon Ellis and short were all doing some extra sprint, speed training at the end.

Players ran laps as a warm down. It probably does mean anything but one concern was that by the end it was the same olds in Riewoldt, Cotch, Edwards and Houki who were leading their group. Others in the same group were miles, caddy and a few others. Stengel and Bolton were both in the group too and they finished WAY behind the others. The group ran 4 laps and Riewoldt and cotchin would have lapped them if there was a fifth so I wouldn't expect either of these guys round 1.

Oh and Rioli is still too thin but is just silk. Need to get him into the midfield asap

Hmm concerned that Vlastuin was taking kickouts.

Dimma must have come back from the US and changed whatever was happening the last open training I went to, and put Vlas back in defence.

There goes my optimism.

His been back for weeks

Vlas will be in the midfield but will probably rotate down back..

but what about my ******* golf clubs!
Their in the..
caddyshack-pic.jpg

Went to open training this morning but only got there about 9.30.

Not a lot to report but I'll post what I remember. It was mainly ball skills and non-contact stuff.

- Dustin Martin, Griff, and Hamspon the only noticeable absentees
- Morris, Rance, Graham, and Soldo in the rehab group doing laps and sprint work. Rance and Morro looking very fit and we're seriously motoring.
- Maric looks to have shed about 5-10kg. He has also cut the mullet, rip. There is a noticeable size difference between he and Nankervis
- Menadue has put on some size in the arms and no longer stands out as being rake thin.
- Markov had an athletes body but still needs a lot more weight (5-10kg)
- Conca looks in good nick
- Bolton very light, noticeably lighter than Stengle.
- Garthwaite\moore quite wirey
- Butler looks super fit.

Skill wise we were just okay. A few too many balls going to ground. Houli, Vlaustin, Hunt, Short and Markov did the kicking out. Chol and Elton seemed to be training more as forwards.

Lennon, Brandon Ellis and short were all doing some extra sprint, speed training at the end.

Players ran laps as a warm down. It probably does mean anything but one concern was that by the end it was the same olds in Riewoldt, Cotch, Edwards and Houki who were leading their group. Others in the same group were miles, caddy and a few others. Stengel and Bolton were both in the group too and they finished WAY behind the others. The group ran 4 laps and Riewoldt and cotchin would have lapped them if there was a fifth so I wouldn't expect either of these guys round 1.

Oh and Rioli is still too thin but is just silk. Need to get him into the midfield asap

Thanks for the report DG, disappointing in the skills and Vlas back down back.

How did Lennon look? Quicker?

Thanks for the report DG, disappointing in the skills and Vlas back down back.

How did Lennon look? Quicker?

Hard to say on Lennon. I hope that sprint training he was doing is a special regiment to make him a bit quicker. I personally don't see him anywhere near our best 22 round 1. Rioli and Lloyd look a million bucks and I reckon that's who he is competing with .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched all of training today and although there is not much to report on this is my take on things.

Martin was the only player that wasn't there.
Rance, Morris, Graham and Soldo were in the rehab group. Grahams body looks AFL ready (can't believe he is 18)
Nankervis is a huge bloke and moves pretty well for his size.
Liked the look of Bolton. He is tiny but geez he can run and jump. Can't wait to see him play.
Vlaustin looks the fittest I've seen. Markov, Menadue and Rioli have put on muscle but obviously still have a lot more to put on. Corey Ellis looks even lighter than last year but just love watching him kick a footy.
As we all know Garthwaite has an awkward kicking style but I didn't see him miss a target the whole session.
On a side note does anyone know if is there a reason they don't open up the other gate and the grandstand? Would make it easier for people that bring kids along if there was somewhere to sit.

I agree, but I don't think there would have been any time where a player could front the media and say "nah coaches are crap, I don't see excitement in our players, we are very average"
Yes but maybe something similar is needed. Everyone at the game could see a coach get his pants pulled down but thats not how it goes. Drivel flows in the presser and especially with hardwick talking up the other team.

Would be nice to see hardwick, Buckley, Clarkson etc come out and say "hey, we were outplayed and out coached today. A couple of guys had bad days and they will know about that shortly". Nope that gets glossed over and players like Griffiths have to speak other than the truth. Again how great would it to hear Griffiths say "coach moved me away from my opponent when i thought i had the upper hand".

Even in the preseason when fans are starved of footy to come out and talk of what role they are intending to play. We all want to hear jack say he is focused on 60 plus goals under our new game plan etc. The ducks & drakes approach doesnt work anymore with so many club spies and even media flogs watching training etc. To be honest most clubs would expect a revamp style each year.

I watched all of training today and although there is not much to report on this is my take on things.

Rance, Morris, Graham and Soldo were in the rehab group. Grahams body looks AFL ready (can't believe he is 18)
Liked the look of Bolton. He is tiny but geez he can run and jump. Can't wait to see him play.
Vlaustin looks the fittest I've seen. Markov, Menadue and Rioli have put on muscle but obviously still have a lot more to put on. Corey Ellis looks even lighter than last year but just love watching him kick a footy.
As we all know Garthwaite has an awkward kicking style but I didn't see him miss a target the whole session.
On a side note does anyone know if is there a reason they don't open up the other gate and the grandstand? Would make it easier for people that bring kids along if there was somewhere to sit.

Thanks for write up :thumbsu:

Really like your report on Garhwaite being a dead eye dick

Anyone down at training today that can report?

Was there... have photos which I'll upload later.

A quick run down of what I saw.
No dusty ar training today
Lot of skill work, handballing, kicking, ground work.
Good lively 15 min session of ball transfer from back line to forward line, with a deliberate focus on moving the ball quickly at all costs and no backwards movement. All focus on moving forward using either right wing or centre.
Chol and Elton spending a lot of time up forward with Griff running laps (as were Morris, Hampton and Rance for the whole session).
Prestia and Caddy will improve the midfield out of sight.
Rioli has improved immensely!
Nank looks great. Was beaten in tap outs by Maric a few times, but moved well around the ground and clunked some great marks up forward.
Was great to see Conca and McIntosh moving freely down the wings too.
All of our draftees look ready to me.
What struck me most with all of our new additions is that they're all very confident. Not afraid of mixing it up with the vets and had plenty of voice. Not one bit shy when walking the boundary line signing stuff for the kids too.
Plenty of chat and swagger about this group to be honest. They all appear fairly confident of making a serious run at the finals.
Cotch was smooth as ever, Miles put in well, and Bachar was like silk kicking out of the back line.
Feeling good about what I saw.
Will upload some pics later today.

Cheers Ivvy.... Sounds like garthwaite doesn't need to change his style if it works. Who cares if it looks funny unless it means he's restricted in how long he can kick it or it takes him longer to get the kick away.

Good lively 15 min session of ball transfer from back line to forward line, with a deliberate focus on moving the ball quickly at all costs and no backwards movement. All focus on moving forward using either right wing or centre.
Chol and Elton spending a lot of time up forward with Griff running laps (as were Morris, Hampton and Rance for the whole session).
Nank looks great. Was beaten in tap outs by Maric a few times, but moved well around the ground and clunked some great marks up forward.
What struck me most with all of our new additions is that they're all very confident. Not afraid of mixing it up with the vets and had plenty of voice. Not one bit shy when walking the boundary line signing stuff for the kids too.
Plenty of chat and swagger about this group to be honest. They all appear fairly confident of making a serious run at the finals.
Cotch was smooth as ever, Miles put in well, and Bachar was like silk kicking out of the back line.
Cheers for that appreciate the info!

Thanks mate , can't wait until 2017 after reading your observations.
PS:What was DH doing?

Garthwaite's kicking accuracy is going to have a cult following by the start of the season the way he's going!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back