Training Pre-season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair the reason I like BP is because I have read about him watched his highlights and think I am a reasonable judge of talent. The issue with Cockatoo for me is I am not sure he reads the game that well. I think there may also be a slight question mark on his decision making. He has freakish ability and Cyril went from very inconsistent to amazing so there is no doubt it is way way way too early to write off nakia. I just see some flaws which may be difficult to correct. BP to me seems to have an all around game in the mould of Selwood. He could fail and nakia could be a star but right now my money would be on BP. I hope they both go down as the greatest indigenous players of all time and cats supporters can enjoy the ride!!

I agree with Cockatoo's decision making. I think his biggest flaw, and it's certainly nowhere near what Smedts had, is his kicking. At least Cockatoo has little to no mechanical faults. He just fails to hit a clear target more often than most at his age so far.
It's very strange but some players can do the more difficult like dodging a couple of tackles, dancing around another better than most but then once they are in the clear, it's that seemingly 'easy' skill like kicking to a leading forward which brings all their work undone. The truly great ones who had that unbelievable athleticism but were also able to execute almost every single time . . . Ablett Snr/Jnr, McLeod, Koutoufides, Akermanis, Matera etc.
Chris Judd was never the best deliverer but he worked on it to the point he was above average by the end of his career.

The one area of Dangerfield's game which consistently lets him down is his passing. If he could hit a target 7 times out of 10 opposed to 5 times out of 10, he could be on the verge of becoming an all-time midfielder.
I just hope Cockatoo can correct this deficiency in his game.
He absolutely smashed it when he was at the AFL draft combine. Kicking tests were something like 98% which is ridiculous.
The speed from a standing start, leaping ability, hip/core strength and the kicking penetration. It's rare to have it all in one compact package.

Marvellous to see - if it's a vest it's a 6-pack embossed one:

View attachment 327803
Seems like Steven has taken the man talks that he had directed at him to heart over the off-season

Tom Hawkins said:
“I would say he’s had some pretty honest conversations,” Hawkins said.

“I know from speaking to him over the break he’s certainly been training and he’s looking forward to playing next year.

“Steve would admit himself, he didn’t put himself in the best position when he turned up to the start of the 2016 pre-season in bad shape.

“He would admit again that he didn’t have his best year of footy. He certainly played some great games, but wasn’t as consistent this year.

“I think he’s learned a lot about himself this year. I love playing with him ... the year wasn’t a disaster for him by any means.

“I’m very happy that he’s staying.”

Motlop said this week he is in much better shape than this time last year after training heavily during his off-season break.

“I’ve got no injuries, which is great, and I’m feeling fit,” Motlop said.

“I’m definitely tracking a bit better than last year and I’m just looking forward to the season starting.”

Motlop signalled his desire to play more midfield minutes in 2017 as the Cats attempt to spread the load up the ground.

Geelong relied heavily on superstar duo Joel Selwood and Patrick Dangerfield last season and have called on their mid-tier players to step up a level next season.

“For me, I want to play a bit more midfield this year. I didn’t play too much last year, so obviously just building my fitness and being able to play those roles (is the aim),” Motlop told the club’s website.

“You need a variety of guys going through there so I’ve been doing a bit in training and that’s where I want to play this year.

“I’ve obviously played forward a lot as well. I’ll keep working on my craft on that side of my game but hopefully spend more time midfield than forward this year.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...d/news-story/a4436201b240ddf7a4223acdfdfab046

it's already a bad sign if Motlop is trying to dictate where he wants to play. For starters, he hates getting crashed into so why even try to shift yourself into that position of the ground?
He's timid and will always look to hover at the side or base of the packs. He may have the devastating speed to break away but he is arguably the worst contested ball winner we have in the team. He simply can't work his way through heavy traffic without dropping the ball onto his boot asap or getting pinned for holding the ball.

Put Horlin-Smith in there instead. Slow as a turtle but wins the contested footy.
With Caddy, Johnson and Bartel gone, we can now afford to play a slow midfielder as Dangerfield, Duncan and Selwood have gears.

Without caddy and Johnson we no longer have someone who loves a blind u-turn back into traffic. Made caddy look twice as slow as he was.
it's already a bad sign if Motlop is trying to dictate where he wants to play. For starters, he hates getting crashed into so why even try to shift yourself into that position of the ground?
He's timid and will always look to hover at the side or base of the packs. He may have the devastating speed to break away but he is arguably the worst contested ball winner we have in the team. He simply can't work his way through heavy traffic without dropping the ball onto his boot asap or getting pinned for holding the ball.

Put Horlin-Smith in there instead. Slow as a turtle but wins the contested footy.
With Caddy, Johnson and Bartel gone, we can now afford to play a slow midfielder as Dangerfield, Duncan and Selwood have gears.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes more garbage to call you on bob. How is wanting more midfield minutes dictating where he wants to play? Are you going to answer this one because you never seem to reply when your baseless comments are questioned. Also do you understand how midfields work. They require a combination of different skill sets. So when you have two great inside midfielders it is the perfect time to have an outside runner combine with them. You do understand that not everyone is a strong inside player don't you and that it is fine when they are surrounded by quality ball winners!! Only you could find a negative out of a story where a player had come back fitter in order to contribute in more areas of the ground!! Your really need to either back your points up or make more sense because your opinions are turning into farce!

Also can anyone who went to training let us know what went down. I wouldn't continue to ask but it seems that the Geelong media managers are incapable so I am forced to rely on the hard work and generosity of big footy posters!

Yes more garbage to call you on bob. How is wanting more midfield minutes dictating where he wants to play? Are you going to answer this one because you never seem to reply when your baseless comments are questioned. Also do you understand how midfields work. They require a combination of different skill sets. So when you have two great inside midfielders it is the perfect time to have an outside runner combine with them. You do understand that not everyone is a strong inside player don't you and that it is fine when they are surrounded by quality ball winners!! Only you could find a negative out of a story where a player had come back fitter in order to contribute in more areas of the ground!! Your really need to either back your points up or make more sense because your opinions are turning into farce!

Sorry but you are either blind or have a memory of a gold fish if you can honestly sit there and tell me what Motlop has said can only be a good thing.
He is rotten when heat is applied and that is a midfielder's bread and butter by trade.

The last thing Geelong need is more outside runners. Don't you know you footy foodles?
What we have in Duncan, Guthrie (certainly best suited as a carrier) and Lang is enough outside run. We need to look at moving Motlop and Blicavs out of the middle all together because they are not good users of the ball when they are pressured. Murdoch should stay in the VFL permanently if the club is to compete with the Dogs, GWS and Sydney this year.
Dangerfield, Selwood and Menegola are good inside workers. We need someone like Cockatoo in the middle instead of Motlop. He likes it physical and actually gains an adrenaline rush when it gets testing. Motlop looks for a place to hide if the going gets tough. Won't change now at 26 years of age so get that through your head foodles.

You also single me out quite often in the short time you have been on here. Mods should check out your ip as I reckon you have been banned from this site under a certain username in the past.

Hows about we stick to the facts about players and go with less of the personal mud slinging.

Its too early in the year to be issuing cards for stupid s**t.

GO Catters

Sorry but you are either blind or have a memory of a gold fish if you can honestly sit there and tell me what Motlop has said can only be a good thing.
He is rotten when heat is applied and that is a midfielder's bread and butter by trade.

The last thing Geelong need is more outside runners. Don't you know you footy foodles?
What we have in Duncan, Guthrie (certainly best suited as a carrier) and Lang is enough outside run. We need to look at moving Motlop and Blicavs out of the middle all together because they are not good users of the ball when they are pressured. Murdoch should stay in the VFL permanently if the club is to compete with the Dogs, GWS and Sydney this year.
Dangerfield, Selwood and Menegola are good inside workers. We need someone like Cockatoo in the middle instead of Motlop. He likes it physical and actually gains an adrenaline rush when it gets testing. Motlop looks for a place to hide if the going gets tough. Won't change now at 26 years of age so get that through your head foodles.

You also single me out quite often in the short time you have been on here. Mods should check out your ip as I reckon you have been banned from this site under a certain username in the past.
They certainly should and they will find out that I have never been banned just don't post much. However I feel your unsubstantiated comments must be addressed. As you will note however I am not personal so good luck with the mods having any problem with me. I can't believe how much you dodge your own comments. My central issue was your suggestion that he was dictating where you should play like a spoilt brat or something. There is no way you can draw that conclusion from what he said! However when I ask you in the first sentence of my reply how you can justify saying that you completely ignore it and I can only assume it is because you realise it can't be justified! Ball carriers and line breakers are exactly what we need running through the middle. Because I am sure you will agree we were too stagnate moving from defence to attack last year. At his best that is what Mots provides. Also I must disagree about Guthrie. I think he is the perfect combination of inside and outside. Wins it hard and then runs, carries and uses it well. I thought he was our best player in the first half of last year and I think he has the ability to become a truly elite midfielder!!

They certainly should and they will find out that I have never been banned just don't post much. However I feel your unsubstantiated comments must be addressed. As you will note however I am not personal so good luck with the mods having any problem with me. I can't believe how much you dodge your own comments. My central issue was your suggestion that he was dictating where you should play like a spoilt brat or something. There is no way you can draw that conclusion from what he said! However when I ask you in the first sentence of my reply how you can justify saying that you completely ignore it and I can only assume it is because you realise it can't be justified! Ball carriers and line breakers are exactly what we need running through the middle. Because I am sure you will agree we were too stagnate moving from defence to attack last year. At his best that is what Mots provides. Also I must disagree about Guthrie. I think he is the perfect combination of inside and outside. Wins it hard and then runs, carries and uses it well. I thought he was our best player in the first half of last year and I think he has the ability to become a truly elite midfielder!!

I don't agree we were too stagnate going from defence to attack last year. You assume I think that way just as you assumed I am saying Motlop is a spoilt brat.
I simply don't trust our coach and feel he plays blokes out of their best position all too often. I think Motlop's comments come from a false sense of security. It's almost like no one has told him some home truths about his game. It may be why young players stagnate.

Motlop is arguably our most destructive forward. One of the best small forwards in the entire competition. The very epitome of x factor. Why he feels the need to transition himself and become something he's not is worrying. The coaches need to let him him know he stinks at winning contested footy and his best position on the ground is the one which actually got him a game in the first place.
Steve Johnson made the transition because he was always a hard nut who showed aggression in his first ever game. Mathew Stokes made the transition because he too displayed insane courage and aggression.
It's really not rocket science.

Not much in this apart from an acknowledgment that we got out-pressured by the swans in the prelim and need to up our intensity, but worth a read nonetheless:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-gain-advantage-in-2017-20170117-gtszzf.html

Wasn't just that game which was embarrassing.
The narrow escape over Richmond was a lot more worrying than the Sydney game.
The losses to Collingwood & Carlton and the way we were outplayed by Essendon's reserves for 3 quarters should be highlighted.
The way Ross Lyon out coached Chris Scott again despite Ross having no Sandilands, Fyfe, Johnson, de Boer or Duffield.

Losing to teams like St Kilda and GWS you accept as they have ridiculous talent thanks in part to high draft pick selections but this is where certain performances appear to get brushed underneath the carpet and only the blatantly obvious loss is talked about by the media and supporters alike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back