Training 2018 Training, Pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Should Kennedy stand up and be the support we'd want him to be for Cripps, it opens up all sorts of possibilities.
It's probably unfair to expect Dow or even Petrevski-Seton to do too much heavy-lifting this year, but Kennedy is capable.

There's plenty of class around the ground but to have two genuine inside bulls, would be a fillip for the whole team.

Agreed about Kennedy. If he and Cripps Can smash the centre bounce, life as a blues fan will be a lot nicer

We were the second worst stoppage team for clearances last year. If Matthew can add just 3 clearances per game (career avg is 2.625), on last years totals that will put us in the top 6/7 teams. With first use, you would assume that should translate into more goals (or at least more opportunities to score) from general ground and centre stoppages.

Completely agree if this trade frees up Smurph, his delivery into F50 will be an asset to the team.

Ok guys, a bit more info...

Fisher, killing it! Looks sharp and ready to take the next step, dare I say ‘training the house down’, not surprised at all by his showing in the X games...

Charlie, wow just wow... seriously does some things that makes you shake your head, not seen this much talent in one kid for many years, dominating one on ones in the air and on the ground...

Kennedy, super strong and knows when to give it, definite starter, could be a new favorite!

Just what I wanted to hear! Awesome stuff thanks mate.:D

We were the second worst stoppage team for clearances last year. If Matthew can add just 3 clearances per game (career avg is 2.625), on last years totals that will put us in the top 6/7 teams. With first use, you would assume that should translate into more goals (or at least more opportunities to score) from general ground and centre stoppages.

Completely agree if this trade frees up Smurph, his delivery into F50 will be an asset to the team.
You’ll still need the 5.09 clearances per game by Bryce Gibbs but you do get to add Curnow and Cripps’s last 10 games averages of 3.08 and 6.67 (huge and he can go bigger).

Top class - Murphy, Cripps

Tear below - Ed Curnow, Kennedy, Dow, SPS, Fisher

Fillers - Lang, LOB, Kerridge, Cuningham

Not a "great" midfield yet, but if we add a ready made gun through draft/trade, fisher, SPS, Dow start to push to "top class" we are moving in the right direction from 2019, even with the excepted decline in Murph due to age.

You’ll still need the 5.09 clearances per game by Bryce Gibbs but you do get to add Curnow and Cripps’s last 10 games averages of 3.08 and 6.67 (huge and he can go bigger).

Gibbs is a obviously a loss. Can't argue with that and Kennedy won't be Gibbs, but he doesn't need to be.

Cripps: Had next to no pre-season last year, played with broken ribs and finally succumbed to a broken leg.
Petrevski-Seton: As with Cripps, he had a very limited pre-season, but showed good signs in the centre. Can only get better.
He's not the one we're talking much about right now, but he could become a real point of difference for us and he can find the ball. The use is sublime.
Dow: We can't expect much, but won't be surprised should he deliver plenty. Doesn't have to do it a lot, but just at the right times.
Kennedy: He's not Gibbs, but again, he doesn't need to be. Just bull enough to support Cripps, as we have a little more back-up this year.
Fisher: Stronger than last year and can find the ball, even though he looked half kick away at times last year
ECurnow: Losing Ed for the last 10 games of the year, didn't particularly help us, either.

The wild-card may be; Sam Kerridge.
I don't know when Carrazzo turned it around from being a fumbler and ball-butcher, to a starting mid, but if any player could do that on our list, Kerridge may be the one the coach would love to do so. Still pretty young as he's currently 24 and will play the year out as a 25 year old. Don't be too surprised should something click for Sam and if it doesn't, we know it won't be for not trying.

Gibbs is a obviously a loss. Can't argue with that and Kennedy won't be Gibbs, but he doesn't need to be.

Cripps: Had next to no pre-season last year, played with broken ribs and finally succumbed to a broken leg.
Petrevski-Seton: As with Cripps, he had a very limited pre-season, but showed good signs in the centre. Can only get better.
He's not the one we're talking much about right now, but he could become a real point of difference for us and he can find the ball. The use is sublime.
Dow: We can't expect much, but won't be surprised should he deliver plenty. Doesn't have to do it a lot, but just at the right times.
Kennedy: He's not Gibbs, but again, he doesn't need to be. Just bull enough to support Cripps, as we have a little more back-up this year.
Fisher: Stronger than last year and can find the ball, even though he looked half kick away at times last year
ECurnow: Losing Ed for the last 10 games of the year, didn't particularly help us, either.

I don't know when Carrazzo turned it around from being a fumbler and ball-butcher, to a starting mid, but if any player could do that on our list, Kerridge may be the one the coach would love to do so. Still pretty young as he's currently 24 and will play the year out as a 25 year old. Don't be too surprised should something click for Sam and if it doesn't, we know it won't be for not trying.

Everyone forgets Richie!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will be interesting to see how we line up on the ball this year. We may find that Cripps and Kennedy lack a bit of pace and we lose the pressure at the contest with them all in there. Probably add Murphy to that list too as his tackling isn't great. We might have to split up our big bodied midfielders a bit if it's not working. Might be one of those things where if we're winning the ball it's great but if we're not then it's hurting us a bit. All part of the getting used to this team and playing together I suppose. We may find that Cripps, Kennedy and Murphy are paired with SPS, Fisher, Dow, Curnow etc just to get the right makeup in there. Just a pity we Can't add Docherty to that mix!

I thought Geelong did well splitting up Dangerfield and Selwood late in the season.

The other thing to consider is, we all have McKay pigeon holed to take over Casboult's position. The thing is that if Casboult is going alright and McKay is screaming for a game and tearing it apart in the VFL. If he can step up into Charlie Curnow's role and do it just as well, then Curnow could become a part of our center square setup and go forward for stints or put pressure on Silvagni's role as a mobile leading forward. It's a bit unlikely that someone will step up to Curnow's standards as he's a bit of a freak but you just never know.

It's good to potentially have options and good players unable to get a regular game. We're in a situation where we have time and depth should keep building.

Good point re: Kerridge early career similarity to Carazzo

Has a tonne of dedication, and is a good clubman. Not afraid to let a teammate know when they need a lift on field, but also very quick to get in and fly the flag when it needs to be.

Really busted a gut in the seconds, trying to return to the seniors last year. Good indication of character

I'd be pretty impressed if he can turn his disposal around. Would be a tremendous asset to the side.

I really think that Kerridge's role in the side is as a tagger, not too dissimilar to how Ben Jacobs reinvented his career. Enormous tank, incredibly hard working and has mongrel. Stop your opponent first, then go and find the footy. I reckon he would thrive doing that.

Problem is that's eds best position. Not a pure tagged but he often 'minds' the oppositions best mid especially around stoppages. Then can still find the ball.

Not sure ed would be as good as a pure attacking mid, doesn't have the skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Problem is that's eds best position. Not a pure tagged but he often 'minds' the oppositions best mid especially around stoppages. Then can still find the ball.

Not sure ed would be as good as a pure attacking mid, doesn't have the skills.
Correct, and IMO you run the risk of playing too negative if you play multiple taggers in your side.

The wild-card may be; Sam Kerridge. I don't know when Carrazzo turned it around from being a fumbler and ball-butcher, to a starting mid, but if any player could do that on our list, Kerridge may be the one the coach would love to do so.

I don't remember Carrots ever being a fumbler. He always had issues with his feet, but I thought he had clean hands all the way through.

Clearance logic is flawed as we have lost Gibbs who averaged 5 clearance a game last year.

But if as you said Kennedy can contribute 3 a game and we can keep Cripps & Ed on the park who averaged 10 between them last year, it will go a long way to improving the differential.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our starting 5 mids in rd 23 was Murphy, Gibbs, SPS, Fisher and Boekhorst. The sum of their individual 2017 averages was 13 clearances, 37 contested possessions and 13 inside 50s.

Our best 5 mids was probably Murph, Gibbs, Cripps, Ed and SPS who gave us 22 CLE, 51 CP and 16 I50.

Our starting 5 for rd 1 could be Murph, Cripps, Ed, Kennedy and SPS who's numbers last year add up to 19, 49 and 14 which isn't too far behind the 'best 5' last year but is a bit ahead of our rd 23.

Factor in 2nd year improvement to SPS (maybe 3 CL, 9 CP & 2.5 i50), Kennedy playing as a bona fide onballer (4, 10 & 2.5), Cripps getting his clearance and CP work back to his 2016 form (8.8, 16.6) and those total numbers rise up to 23 clearances, 56 contested possessions and 17 inside 50s. That's roughly a 9% improvement across all three metrics compared to our 2017 'best 5' and compared to our rd 23 mids it's a 75% improvement on clearances, 53% on contested possessions and 31% on inside 50s. Which I reckon clocks in pretty close to the Swans and Giants best 5... although I think it's fair to say they bat a bit deeper for midfielders right now.

I don't remember Carrots ever being a fumbler. He always had issues with his feet, but I thought he had clean hands all the way through.

So just a ball-butcher then? Fair enough, as I missed the early part of Carrazzo's career

Sam isn't the cleanest of ball-handlers in the middle, yet it improves when he's forward.
At times watching him in the VFL last year, i felt he just got spooked for making a mistake and once the mistakes came into play, they compounded.

Our starting 5 mids in rd 23 was Murphy, Gibbs, SPS, Fisher and Boekhorst. The sum of their individual 2017 averages was 13 clearances, 37 contested possessions and 13 inside 50s.

Our best 5 mids was probably Murph, Gibbs, Cripps, Ed and SPS who gave us 22 CLE, 51 CP and 16 I50.

Our starting 5 for rd 1 could be Murph, Cripps, Ed, Kennedy and SPS who's numbers last year add up to 19, 49 and 14 which isn't too far behind the 'best 5' last year but is a bit ahead of our rd 23.

Factor in 2nd year improvement to SPS (maybe 3 CL, 9 CP & 2.5 i50), Kennedy playing as a bona fide onballer (4, 10 & 2.5), Cripps getting his clearance and CP work back to his 2016 form (8.8, 16.6) and those total numbers rise up to 23 clearances, 56 contested possessions and 17 inside 50s. That's roughly a 9% improvement across all three metrics compared to our 2017 'best 5' and compared to our rd 23 mids it's a 75% improvement on clearances, 53% on contested possessions and 31% on inside 50s. Which I reckon clocks in pretty close to the Swans and Giants best 5... although I think it's fair to say they bat a bit deeper for midfielders right now.
Love the data work. I'm sold. Our starting 5 WILL be a top 8 midfield at least in 2018. Bring it on.

If we can avoid players in the side with poor hands that would be good. Most important skill of the game. Handling the ball cleanly under pressure is what makes a lot of the guns of the game what they are. We used to be loaded with players with poor hands and we're getting rid of that. Kerridge is poor. A few others aren't great, Fisher wasn't great last year but I think he's capable of improving as I don't think it was from lack of hand coordination, more his approach and spending it before he had it.

I would rate handling number one skill, then disposal, then footy IQ (game sense, smarts, competitiveness) then a gap, then physical and athletic attributes. Was a time when our recruiting had that list up the other way but now it seems to have changed.

Kerridge is a tagger or makeshift inside mid when we have injuries. Curnow is a better tagger. Curnow's disposal isn't great but his ball handling is good and he's getting better at working within his limits. Both players seem to have good footy IQ and competitiveness.

Poor ball handling leads to missed/wasted opportunities (get possession, score, clear the ball etc), putting that player under pressure and causing poor disposal and putting his team under pressure. So Not what we want in our team.

Last edited:
Love the data work. I'm sold. Our starting 5 WILL be a top 8 midfield at least in 2018. Bring it on.
Hey, slow down there...

I think if things go right our core group of mids could do fairly well. Our issue is teams have more than 5 midfielders and as you continue through the group we start to drop off quicker than others.

Compare 9 mids/mid-types that could possibly get picked on match day. Here's a possibility for ours:

CAR: Cripps, Murphy, Ed, Kennedy, Samo, Lang, Fisher, Cuningham, Dow

and here's a guess at the top 9 for some other clubs:

SYD: Kennedy, Parker, Heeney, Hannebery, Lloyd, Jack, Jones, Mills, Newman
GWS: Kelly, Ward, Shiel, Coniglio, Scully, Whitield, Griffen, Hopper, Taranto
COL: Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliot, Wells, Greenwood, Phillips
WBD: Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Wallis, McLean, Liberatore, Hunter, Daniel, Dale
ADE: Sloane, M Crouch, Gibbs, B Crouch, Greenwood, Douglas, Atkins, Seedsman, Gibson
PTA: R Gray, Wines, Rockliff, Boak, Ebert, Wingard, Polec, Motlop, Powell-Pepper
GEE: Dangerfield, Ablett, J Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, C Guthrie, S Selwood, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch
Fair to say there's a bit of a difference at this stage of our development...

If we can avoid players in the side with poor hands that would be good. Most important skill of the game. Handling the ball cleanly under pressure is what makes a lot of the guns of the game what they are. We used to be loaded with players with poor hands and we're getting rid of that. Kerridge is poor. A few others aren't great, Fisher wasn't great last year but I think he's capable of improving as I don't think it was from lack of hand coordination, more his approach and spending it before he had it.

I would rate handling number one skill, then disposal, then footy IQ (game sense, smarts, competitiveness) then a gap, then physical and athletic attributes. Was a time when our recruiting had that list up the other way but now it seems to have changes.

Kerridge is a tagger or makeshift inside mid when we have injuries. Curnow is a better tagger. Curnow's disposal isn't great but his ball handling is good and he's getting better at working within his limits. Both players seem to have good footy IQ and competitiveness.

Poor ball handling leads to missed/wasted opportunities (get possession, score, clear the ball etc), putting that player under pressure and causing poor disposal and putting his team under pressure. So Not what we want in our team.
Hard to fault this post

Hey, slow down there...

I think if things go right our core group of mids could do fairly well. Our issue is teams have more than 5 midfielders and as you continue through the group we start to drop off quicker than others.

Compare 9 mids/mid-types that could possibly get picked on match day. Here's a possibility for ours:

COL: Pendlebury, Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom, De Goey, Hoskin-Elliot, Wells, Greenwood, Phillips
WBD: Bontempelli, Macrae, Dahlhaus, Wallis, McLean, Liberatore, Hunter, Daniel, Dale
ADE: Sloane, M Crouch, Gibbs, B Crouch, Greenwood, Douglas, Atkins, Seedsman, Gibson
PTA: R Gray, Wines, Rockliff, Boak, Ebert, Wingard, Polec, Motlop, Powell-Pepper
GEE: Dangerfield, Ablett, J Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, C Guthrie, S Selwood, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch

If you rank the 9 you've got compared to ours

1. PTA
2. SYD
3. GWS
4. WBD
5. GEE (don't rate bottom 3)
6. ADE (don't rate bottom 5)
7. COL (don't rate bottom 5, 3 are injured) - I would place CAR in front of them this year on potential.

Hey, slow down there...

GWS's midfield is just ridiculous - then also list Deledio, de Boer, Setterfield, Bonar :eek:

Flag favourites for mine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back