Training Pre-season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Come off it. If Viney and Oliver miss as well as Tom Mcdonald that trumps us hard.
They can play us with those three if we can have Wells, Degoey, Elliott, Fasolo, Greenwood and Goldsack fit and ready to go. Oliver and McDonald were playing in the final game last year when we were minus Pendles and we won after controlling the game all day. You saw Wells tear Adelaide apart. Wells makes an enormous difference to the way our team moves the pill. Elliott 100% fit is dynamite, Degoey getting better all the time...... I beg to differ.

Saint, no disrespect but "Rowdy" played the same sort of game as Lethal did (without the coathangers!) He was fearless and his courage and ability to do extraordinary team lifting things was legendary. He didn't need to talk too much, his footy and his attack on the contest spoke volumes.
Tucky....lots of people think Tucky was quiet because he didn't rant on the field. But he had blokes like Kennedy, Jeans, Brereton, Matthews, and a pretty handy side that he captained to premierships. Tucky was sly with his sledging but he sure did a number on Carman in '77 that made the Fabulous one hit him and miss the Granny!
Pendles has been a great player, absolute silk. But would you follow him into battle or would you rather have a Rowdy, Lethal, Tuck, Tuddy or Bobby Rose out in front of you. Me...I know who I'd choose.
Pendles is our most courageous player. Never known anyone to be as resilient as he is considering the injuries he plays with. Highly underated in this area. He is also our best clearance player and close to our best tackler.

Saint, no disrespect but "Rowdy" played the same sort of game as Lethal did (without the coathangers!) He was fearless and his courage and ability to do extraordinary team lifting things was legendary. He didn't need to talk too much, his footy and his attack on the contest spoke volumes.
Tucky....lots of people think Tucky was quiet because he didn't rant on the field. But he had blokes like Kennedy, Jeans, Brereton, Matthews, and a pretty handy side that he captained to premierships. Tucky was sly with his sledging but he sure did a number on Carman in '77 that made the Fabulous one hit him and miss the Granny!
Pendles has been a great player, absolute silk. But would you follow him into battle or would you rather have a Rowdy, Lethal, Tuck, Tuddy or Bobby Rose out in front of you. Me...I know who I'd choose.
I think we under rate Scott.
I’m surmising hs team mates absolutely respect him and value him.
That’s good enough in my book.

He may not be tony Shaw or rowdy but he’s no less a leader by example.

That includes training through summer, through cold winters, through adversity etc.

Ps Lethal lives on a different plane to mere mortals

Pendles is our most courageous player. Never known anyone to be as resilient as he is considering the injuries he plays with. Highly underated in this area. He is also our best clearance player and close to our best tackler.

I think I'll just agree to disagree. I love Pendles for his vision and maneuverability (used to love his kicking too but its dropped as he's got older). But when it comes to see ball get ball (at all costs) then Rowdy (and Tuddy and Bob Rose) would just do what had to be done to get it. It may be the "cold blooded gene" I don't know, but some have it and some don't.

First game of the year in 2017 due to injury or non selection of key players.

Wells round 5
Elliott round 4
De Goey round 7
Thomas round 15
Greenwood round 3
Dunn round 6
Cox played round 1 but missed the next 4
Scharenburg round 10
Langdon round 12
Varcoe missed round 2, Aish played round 2 only

Thats a lot missing early in the year last season and on top of some poor depth goes a long way to explaining our poor start to 2017 (which turned out to be chronic).

Sure we still have plenty of the above named also missing but nothing like last year and hopefully not for nearly as long. And probably better depth.

I think I'll just agree to disagree. I love Pendles for his vision and maneuverability (used to love his kicking too but its dropped as he's got older). But when it comes to see ball get ball (at all costs) then Rowdy (and Tuddy and Bob Rose) would just do what had to be done to get it. It may be the "cold blooded gene" I don't know, but some have it and some don't.
I dont think Pendles is quick enough to see ball get ball!! He gets it way more than most though. But all good we do see things differently. I think Pendles is a great captain. His one fault in my opinion is he is not selfish enough. He tries to bring other players into the game only for them to stuff it up.

I dont think Pendles is quick enough to see ball get ball!! He gets it way more than most though. But all good we do see things differently. I think Pendles is a great captain. His one fault in my opinion is he is not selfish enough. He tries to bring other players into the game only for them to stuff it up.

That is a very good point. So hopefully he'll be more selfish and use his skills to score himself before giving it to other mere mortals and having them stuff it up. That trait of "wanting the ball in your hands" and "wanting to be the one to take that clutch shot"...its the sort of stuff I'm talking about with Pendles. All the great leaders have it. Take responsibility skipper, win the game for us!

If I had to follow anyone into battle I'd opt for Mick Nolan, I'd be right behind him.

No argument on his skills or abilities Saintly - he caused a few turnovers in his days and certainly wasn't special on the ground.

But he always WENT when he needed to go, he always revved the guys up when they needed it and like his flag captain predecessor he always found a way because he bled black and white.

He was very good in his role as captain to gel the team and get them playing hard footy/selfless acts through his own actions ect and great guy off field from all reports too.

In saying that he was a mediocre player for the most part and at times his role in the 22 was questionable especially in the later years. But I guess you can carry lesser players especially when they provide the quality leadership he did (something I appreciate more now than I did then) when your overall team is strong like 2010-2012 side was.

I guess there is more then 1 way to skin a cat.

Did you hate it in the 2010 drawn GF?
Think: his intercept mark and run that led to Cloke's goal that put us back in front.
I'm betting like me you were going "Thank God for you Maxy!"

The occasion you are talking about was one of the few times Maxy actually dropped his eyes and went short (all be it wobbly) to Didak in the centre; who kicked to Sidebottom on the flank; who bombed deep to a Dawes contest (who should of got a free for in the back) with shaw going for the mark after Dawes falls over; ball spills to Dawes who handballs to loose Cloke for a goal.

So yes great mark (that most defenders worth there salt would of intercepted in similar position) but the ball exchanged quite a few hands to get to the end result. Like Shaws attempt at mark over the taller Goddard or Dawes quick fire handball to Cloke to free him in the Goal square.

Don't get me wrong Maxwell had some big moments in the dying minutes of the game as did quite a few players who don't seem to get the same Kudos, I guess due to people not feeling the need to defend them.

I actually rate Maxwells desperate lunge to save a certain goal as a higher moment then his mark.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, a man mountain.

He hired me as a consutant on one of his properties many years ago. When I met him he hardly said more than yes or no - monosyllabic? - but his daughter was there and did all the talking. The way he played footy, he didn't need to say much.

If I had to follow anyone into battle I'd opt for Mick Nolan, I'd be right behind him.
He’s dead, the big fella. Died youngish. Not sure had best health practices.
When alive though, big big unit.
Tried his heart out.
Took a puff of the gaspers when he could.
The Galloping Gasometer.
A great great nickname.

12 months is a long time for flag predictions for the following season.

Are we better than Essendon? I expect them to be in the top four next year, perhaps in the box seat to play in the Grand Final, let your friend know that.

Yep. We’re better than Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back