Training Pre-season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. But I found it odd they both got a JLT game when Shaz didn't, even though he was seemingly available.

Shaz was being managed wasn't he? He had been missing at training I thought. Which made me think he had a niggle, but not an injury. And explained why he wasn't playing.

That’s not my take.

Ps he’s no sook.

A guy with all his comeback from injury and setbacks that works as hard as he does is no sook.

Whatever happens happens; but I for one won’t get sucked in by the bigfooty dark clouds (which sometimes hang low) and treat him poorly.

He’s no sook.
On that, I’m definitive.
Saintly always respect your view

But to me Mate he sooked up when chastised by a senior player for his effort

Maybe it doesn't mean as much to him and he's a knowledges the bird has flown

Confidence , demeanour or circumstances

It ain't good

Saintly always respect your view

But to me Mate he sooked up when chastised by a senior player for his effort

Maybe it doesn't mean as much to him and he's a knowledges the bird has flown

Confidence , demeanour or circumstances

It ain't good
Well have to agree to disagree on this one.

I love your passion.

But we can’t all be right always :)

New pics up for the players profile on club website.

Except Magden
I'm pleased to see they've finally got this job (more or less) done! Why they've ignored Madgen is a bit of a mystery. And they're still showing Josh Thomas on the Seniors List page. Most likely he'll be in the senior team on Saturday, and of course Category A Rookie List players can be chosen any time they're needed now, but that doesn't change the fact that he belongs on the Rookie List page!

On the Seniors List/List View page there are four players (C. Brown, Daicos, Kirby and Wills) who have made their AFL debut yet they haven't put anything under "Debut" to show when they played that first game. Wills debuted in 2016 so they've had enough time to get that one updated!!

I'm pleased to see they've finally got this job (more or less) done! Why they've ignored Madgen is a bit of a mystery. And they're still showing Josh Thomas on the Seniors List page. Most likely he'll be in the senior team on Saturday, and of course Category A Rookie List players can be chosen any time they're needed now, but that doesn't change the fact that he belongs on the Rookie List page!

On the Seniors List/List View page there are four players (C. Brown, Daicos, Kirby and Wills) who have made their AFL debut yet they haven't put anything under "Debut" to show when they played that first game. Wills debuted in 2016 so they've had enough time to get that one updated!!

For all we know Thomas has already been given his senior list players card for 2018

For all we know Thomas has already been given his senior list players card for 2018
No matter what, he's on the wrong page. :mad::mad::mad: He is officially on the Rookie List; even if he plays 25 senior games for us this year he still belongs on the Rookie List page! They moved him last year and haven't gotten around to moving him back!!

No matter what, he's on the wrong page. :mad::mad::mad: He is officially on the Rookie List; even if he plays 25 senior games for us this year he still belongs on the Rookie List page! They moved him last year and haven't gotten around to moving him back!!

Usually when they promote them mid season they also move them to the senior list page on the website or at least thats my recollection.

As you said...they moved him last year when promoted midseason....maybe hes already been promoted for 2018 already (but they havent announced it)

Usually when they promote them mid season they also move them to the senior list page on the website or at least thats my recollection.

As you said...they moved him last year when promoted midseason....maybe hes already been promoted for 2018 already (but they havent announced it)
I just presume they no longer need to announce anything since Cat. A Rookies can be chosen for the seniors at any time now, without the need to "promote" them as has been the case in the past.

Edit: In a convenient bit of timing this story has just bobbed up on the AFL website home page:- http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-19/irish-cat-bolts-into-round-one-contention

GEELONG Irishman Mark O'Connor has emerged as a contender for round one selection against Melbourne on Sunday, promoted from the rookie list.

As a category B rookie, the 21-year-old needed to be upgraded to the senior list, compared to traditional rookies who don't need an elevation, after off-season rule changes.

I just presume they no longer need to announce anything since Cat. A Rookies can be chosen for the seniors at any time now, without the need to "promote" them as has been the case in the past.

Fair point

Then they should all be on the same page

Just give the rookies an asterisk !!

Fair point

Then they should all be on the same page

Just give the rookies an asterisk !!
Yes, that would do nicely! Showing them exactly the same way they do it in the Football Record and AFL Season Guide would be the sensible way of doing it now the rules have changed. I think some of the clubs now opt for the "one-page" option. Edit: Port Adelaide and Geelong do it that way (but without the asterisks!).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pies have a few injuries yes but after looking at everyone's injury list most teams have quite a few so maybe not as bad as first though

I tipped us to win by 23 on Saturday Night

That’s not my take.

Ps he’s no sook.

A guy with all his comeback from injury and setbacks that works as hard as he does is no sook.

Whatever happens happens; but I for one won’t get sucked in by the bigfooty dark clouds (which sometimes hang low) and treat him poorly.

He’s no sook.
On that, I’m definitive.

200% agreement on him not being a sook - I posted this before but have any of the 'sook accusers' actually persevered through equivalent physical hardships at the very start of their career ???

I'd be very, VERY surprised if they have.

Much like Nick Maxwell many moons ago, even after being appointed Captain

Not similar at all.
Maxy played within his limitations and always did the basics right.
He always sacrificed and was team first.
He also went on to be AA at one point and was one of the best "loose men" in defence in his time.

Langdon often gets bags kicked on him especially due to his stupidity out the back or going 3rd man up whilst his man crumbs easy goals.
He also is a poor kick of the footy/decision maker, yet plays as if he is silk by foot off half back missing regulation kicks more often than not.

Unless his disposal cleans up or his defensive capabilities improve out of sight, he will always be a whipping boy.

He should see Lynden Dunn as an example of a player who was a career whipping boy at the Dees and now has actually become respected and a more than capable footballer.

Jono Brown, on 'On the Couch', just gave us a thumbs down on our pre-season. His view seems to have been based on observing one training session only, but he described us as lacking intensity and compared us badly to a Richmond session (he'd also observed), where the players sprinted between drills and the leaders were vocal and prominent.

It's unsettled me. The reports of Pendles and others lacking intensity in the JLT games would appear to support this position.

Guess we'll know soon enough. But its not an assessment we can easily bat away.

Jono Brown, on 'On the Couch', just gave us a thumbs down on our pre-season. His view seems to have been based on observing one training session only, but he described us as lacking intensity and compared us badly to a Richmond session (he'd also observed), where the players sprinted between drills and the leaders were vocal and prominent.

It's unsettled me. The reports of Pendles and others lacking intensity in the JLT games would appear to support this position.

1 training session? Spare me.

What a flog judging a pre season on a single session

Jono Brown???

One of the bravest players ever to play the game . . .

but . . . .

I don't see the line of club officials going around the block waiting to beg for his coaching services . . .

Let's see how we go. Really don't take much stock in what the journos say.

Reality is, Pies aren't hot at the moment. We barely even show up in the Foxtel season preview advertisements. Does that actually matter, no of course not. Just saying that no one is interested in us at the moment like in 10 and 11. That's fine with me. Let us fly under the radar and do our thing.

Not similar at all.
Maxy played within his limitations and always did the basics right.
He always sacrificed and was team first.
He also went on to be AA at one point and was one of the best "loose men" in defence in his time.

Langdon often gets bags kicked on him especially due to his stupidity out the back or going 3rd man up whilst his man crumbs easy goals.
He also is a poor kick of the footy/decision maker, yet plays as if he is silk by foot off half back missing regulation kicks more often than not.

Unless his disposal cleans up or his defensive capabilities improve out of sight, he will always be a whipping boy.

He should see Lynden Dunn as an example of a player who was a career whipping boy at the Dees and now has actually become respected and a more than capable footballer.

I wasnt comparing the players, just the vocal outside critics of Maxwell early in his career who had to eat their words when he later became an AA Premiership Captain.

In game style hes more like Harry O'Brien. Does some cringeworthy things at times but is always trying to be creative.

Lynden Dunn was a very respected reliable if dour player at Melbourne until he was squeezed out in 2016 by a new breed of talls. He just went to a club that needed him and at age 30 surprised everybody when they saw that his career wasnt over yet. Not sure he was a whipping boy or suddenly found a better attitude at Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back