Training Pre-season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Jono Brown, on 'On the Couch', just gave us a thumbs down on our pre-season. His view seems to have been based on observing one training session only, but he described us as lacking intensity and compared us badly to a Richmond session (he'd also observed), where the players sprinted between drills and the leaders were vocal and prominent.

It's unsettled me. The reports of Pendles and others lacking intensity in the JLT games would appear to support this position.

Guess we'll know soon enough. But its not an assessment we can easily bat away.

How inflammatory of him.

Not similar at all.
Maxy played within his limitations and always did the basics right.
He always sacrificed and was team first.
He also went on to be AA at one point and was one of the best "loose men" in defence in his time.

Langdon often gets bags kicked on him especially due to his stupidity out the back or going 3rd man up whilst his man crumbs easy goals.
He also is a poor kick of the footy/decision maker, yet plays as if he is silk by foot off half back missing regulation kicks more often than not.

Unless his disposal cleans up or his defensive capabilities improve out of sight, he will always be a whipping boy.

He should see Lynden Dunn as an example of a player who was a career whipping boy at the Dees and now has actually become respected and a more than capable footballer.

He was referring to Maxy getting bagged on here, which he used to. You've been on here long enough, surely you remember it.

But I also reckon you've got the rest wrong.

In terms of Langdon leaking more goals to his direct opponent. That's true for the second half of Maxy's career - but only because Maxy never had a direct opponent. In the first half of his career, he leaked a heap of goals in a very similar way to Langdon and also through being out-positioned in the air. He was a poor one on one defender.

Disposal wise, I reckon Langdon is better. It's just that Maxy was allowed the luxury of being expected to do nothing more than bomb it down the line.

Basically, if Langdon for the rest of his career was granted the luxury of being loose man (by our and opposition coaches) and was allowed to just bomb it down the line like Maxy did (often without looking) he'd also have an AA year within him. Personally, I reckon he'll go close anyway playing as a genuine defender.

Don't get me wrong, I rated what Maxy offered, but reckon that Langdon could play Maxy's old role with ease and probably more effectively, because he'd mark the ball rather than just punching.

He was referring to Maxy getting bagged on here, which he used to. You've been on here long enough, surely you remember it.

But I also reckon you've got the rest wrong.

In terms of Langdon leaking more goals to his direct opponent. That's true for the second half of Maxy's career - but only because Maxy never had a direct opponent. In the first half of his career, he leaked a heap of goals in a very similar way to Langdon and also through being out-positioned in the air. He was a poor one on one defender.

Disposal wise, I reckon Langdon is better. It's just that Maxy was allowed the luxury of being expected to do nothing more than bomb it down the line.

Basically, if Langdon for the rest of his career was granted the luxury of being loose man (by our and opposition coaches) and was allowed to just bomb it down the line like Maxy did (often without looking) he'd also have an AA year within him. Personally, I reckon he'll go close anyway playing as a genuine defender.

Don't get me wrong, I rated what Maxy offered, but reckon that Langdon could play Maxy's old role with ease and probably more effectively, because he'd mark the ball rather than just punching.

But Langdon /could/ just bomb it down the line and it'd be an infinitely better choice than what he currently does. Would it be as effective as having Cloke/Rocca to bomb it to? Absolutely not, but you have to understand your own limitations and if he can't improve his kicking and decision-making then kicking it to ensure either a throw-in or contested mark is probably the better option.

Think Browny was selective in his DAY that he visited training. I'll give him 2 out of 3, which aint bad... but the one he missed is a big one. My comments, having seen multiple sessions this pre-season as follows...

1. Intensity was v high earlier on in the pre-season, higher than Melbourne, though I cant comment on Richmond. It was the highest I've ever seen it in fact, which no doubt was aimed at building the tanks up early. I dont doubt that they have prob tapered off in the lead up to the season, to manage loading... pretty sensible if you ask me, even if its isnt common. Maybe the tigers have a diff approach, but there's no point being knackered for round 1.

2. Sadly Browny is right about poor skills. This isnt due to lack of intensity though, its purely due to lack of... skills. I think Bucks has maybe become a bit soft in this area, to be more of a relaxed, millenial 'people's person' type coach. I mentioned in my training notes that poor kicks went unpunished and almost 'accepted'. He's not afraid to drop people who can't kick, but such things need to be cut off at the stages of incubation. Not good...

3. the lack of voice from the leaders actually relates to one person... Pendles. He is right again here, Pendles is no alpha male... leading by example and quiet words instead.
Adams, Howe & Dunn are though, and are v vocal. Sidey also chirps up, as does Varcoe, Crisp a bit, plus a few others. Not going to change anytime soon, but Bucks seems to like his quiet, loyal brethren, with Sidey the clear no. 2. I'd have Adams straight to the top job, personally. Will see how it pans out, as the current regime is virtaully set in stone.

At the end of the day, who gives a f$&k what the media says about our team. Richmond lost to Sydney by 116 points in the final round of 2016. People were calling for Hardwick to be sacked. 12 months later, they’re holding the cup.

In the media world, if you’re not winning, you’re gonna get a mouthful especially when you’re the biggest club in the land.

Actions > Words.

At the end of the day, who gives a f$&k what the media says about our team. Richmond lost to Sydney by 116 points in the final round of 2016. People were calling for Hardwick to be sacked. 12 months later, they’re holding the cup.

In the media world, if you’re not winning, you’re gonna get a mouthful especially when you’re the biggest club in the land.

Actions > Words.
Oath media experts picked Bulldogs and Richmond to fail the Years they won. Means nothing what they think.

Broomhead seems to have hit a plateau. Half forward flank/forward pocket is a notorious desert. Partly because of injuries but also because he's too good for midfield in the VFL but not good enough for a spot in our star-studded senior midfield.

So, could he play at half-back? Is it worthwhile to try out? It worked for Fasolo a few years ago. Opinions?

Jono Brown, on 'On the Couch', just gave us a thumbs down on our pre-season. His view seems to have been based on observing one training session only, but he described us as lacking intensity and compared us badly to a Richmond session (he'd also observed), where the players sprinted between drills and the leaders were vocal and prominent.

It's unsettled me. The reports of Pendles and others lacking intensity in the JLT games would appear to support this position.

Ex-Footballers doing commentary, need to make outlandish comments to give the appearance they are still relevant.
All you need do is take a look at people like Luke Darcy, David King, Kane Cornes and Mark McClure

Broomhead seems to have hit a plateau. Half forward flank/forward pocket is a notorious desert. Partly because of injuries but also because he's too good for midfield in the VFL but not good enough for a spot in our star-studded senior midfield.

So, could he play at half-back? Is it worthwhile to try out? It worked for Fasolo a few years ago. Opinions?

Broomhead will never make it unfortunately.

Too small to have an impact in the midfield, is a little bit soft.. doesn't hit the scoreboard enough to be a forward but is a class above the VFL. Can't see a move to half back changing his fortunes.

There's nothing wrong with being a quality VFL player, probably even go close to a Liston Medal one day, Shane Valenti 2.0

I agree. But I found it odd they both got a JLT game when Shaz didn't, even though he was seemingly available.

Without having any greater insights into what is actually happening than others, I'd assume Schaz is being managed through a transition to another role given the discussion earlier by the coaching staff about building body size to play more KPP. Team lists are extremely unreliable in terms of providing accurate metrics but he's apparently gained a couple of kilos (88kg last preseason, 90kg this one). I think we'll see him find his way into the senior team soon enough.

Madden has his picture correctly done

On the club website.

They’ve got there, finally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Pendles even play JLT? Barley even saw him and when he was it looked like he was just Going Thru the Motions and out for a Run.

I have Real Doubt that Pendles is a Good Captain as I going by the Record he is NOT a Good Captain

Think Browny was selective in his DAY that he visited training. I'll give him 2 out of 3, which aint bad... but the one he missed is a big one. My comments, having seen multiple sessions this pre-season as follows...

1. Intensity was v high earlier on in the pre-season, higher than Melbourne, though I cant comment on Richmond. It was the highest I've ever seen it in fact, which no doubt was aimed at building the tanks up early. I dont doubt that they have prob tapered off in the lead up to the season, to manage loading... pretty sensible if you ask me, even if its isnt common. Maybe the tigers have a diff approach, but there's no point being knackered for round 1.

2. Sadly Browny is right about poor skills. This isnt due to lack of intensity though, its purely due to lack of... skills. I think Bucks has maybe become a bit soft in this area, to be more of a relaxed, millenial 'people's person' type coach. I mentioned in my training notes that poor kicks went unpunished and almost 'accepted'. He's not afraid to drop people who can't kick, but such things need to be cut off at the stages of incubation. Not good...

3. the lack of voice from the leaders actually relates to one person... Pendles. He is right again here, Pendles is no alpha male... leading by example and quiet words instead.
Adams, Howe & Dunn are though, and are v vocal. Sidey also chirps up, as does Varcoe, Crisp a bit, plus a few others. Not going to change anytime soon, but Bucks seems to like his quiet, loyal brethren, with Sidey the clear no. 2. I'd have Adams straight to the top job, personally. Will see how it pans out, as the current regime is virtaully set in stone.

Very Well Said cityslick1 I agree what you said.

You can't take anything from him seeing 1 Training Session but Our Skills are Still s**t and Lack of Real Good Captain like Maxwell was

Thanks for that.

I actually like the sound of most of that, with the exception of poor skills.
1. Early intensity and then tapering sounds like a good approach to me.
2. I like a lower focus on errors. I've always suspected that with Bucks and Pendles being such perfectionists that there was probably too much focus on errors. Which to me explains why you've seen so many blokes just seem to lose confidence and form. Additionally, anyone who has played a bit of golf knows once you stand over the ball and start thinking about not hitting it into the water, you dramatically increase the likelihood of hitting it into the water.
3. Does it matter if the guy with captain on his resume is the one being vocal? From a cricket perspective, it's pretty rare for the captain to be leading the noise. Often seen as the wicketkeeper's role, who is often a vice.

3. Does it matter if the guy with captain on his resume is the one being vocal? From a cricket perspective, it's pretty rare for the captain to be leading the noise. Often seen as the wicketkeeper's role, who is often a vice.

Maxwell was and he was a Way Better Captain then Pendles

Maxwell was and he was a Way Better Captain then Pendles
Agree with that. I just reckon that as long as you've got players who are vocal and willing and capable of directing traffic in each part of the playing group, it doesn't matter if they have the title of captain or not. It sounds like we have that covered in defence and midfield, but I suspect that our forward line lacks leadership. I can't imagine who would be capable of that up forward. As silly as it may sound, I'd be encouraging Fasolo to take on the role. For all his flaws, he has a bloody good understanding of space and isn't shy. I also suspect that this may have been part of what we thought Mayne was going to contribute.

I kind of think the captain has to be a good communicator, sure there has been players who are less vocal and led by example but they still have strong communication, I think the best ones have both elements to their personality.

Ideally you'd have strong voices on every line around the captain, I'm not sure we have that, certainly not to the extent of some clubs.

I do think Brown is pretty much on the money, small sample size sure, but he's also watched us over previous seasons, the club is saying not much is changing from a gameplan point of view, there's been minor coaching changes which may or may not make any difference given the caliber coming in is only so so. It's a popular opinion on here to dismiss any critical feedback of outsiders, which is wrong, and it's also popular to discount his opinions as he's a bogan and has had a few head knocks, but this is a bloke whose won premierships, been one of the best players in his position in recent times, an absolute general of the forward line setup and function and been part of absolute quality team environments.

Development is an area we have struggled with, there's been a few exceptions but we haven't seen that excellent player development we saw under most of the Malthouse tenure. That has to change, maybe Buckley won't see the results of that if on field success doesn't eventuate sooner rather than later but it is imperative for looking at the next decade and making it successful.

I kind of think the captain has to be a good communicator, sure there has been players who are less vocal and led by example but they still have strong communication, I think the best ones have both elements to their personality.

Ideally you'd have strong voices on every line around the captain, I'm not sure we have that, certainly not to the extent of some clubs.

I do think Brown is pretty much on the money, small sample size sure, but he's also watched us over previous seasons, the club is saying not much is changing from a gameplan point of view, there's been minor coaching changes which may or may not make any difference given the caliber coming in is only so so. It's a popular opinion on here to dismiss any critical feedback of outsiders, which is wrong, and it's also popular to discount his opinions as he's a bogan and has had a few head knocks, but this is a bloke whose won premierships, been one of the best players in his position in recent times, an absolute general of the forward line setup and function and been part of absolute quality team environments.

Development is an area we have struggled with, there's been a few exceptions but we haven't seen that excellent player development we saw under most of the Malthouse tenure. That has to change, maybe Buckley won't see the results of that if on field success doesn't eventuate sooner rather than later but it is imperative for looking at the next decade and making it successful.

We barley had anyone Develop really well and we got players that gone Backwards after Joining Collingwood

Agree. As people are all too often keen to do, you look at the Hawthorn team. Roughy was the captain last year but he hardly said boo out on the field. But he didn't need to with the likes of Hodge, Gibson and Gunston constantly shouting and pointing. I think Roughy will find it a lot tougher this year with the diluted on-field support. We need to continue to develop that broader on-field leadership.

Howe goes alright now. So does Crisp. Dunn even had a very good season.

Crisp I agree on. Howe has got better and Dunn is about the Same. WHE is probably the Biggest Improver but there also been some that not worked out like:

• Jesse White
  • Tony Armstrong
  • Clinton Young(Injuries did not Help)
  • Jordan Russell
  • James Aish(I am a Fan but not Really Come on since being Traded to us Sadly)
  • Chris Mayne

Crisp I agree on. Howe has got better and Dunn is about the Same. WHE is probably the Biggest Improver but there also been some that not worked out like:

• Jesse White
  • Tony Armstrong
  • Clinton Young(Injuries did not Help)
  • Jordan Russell
  • James Aish(I am a Fan but not Really Come on since being Traded to us Sadly)
  • Chris Mayne
Those guys who didn't work out, were experienced and crap before they arrived. It can't be blamed on our development.

A captain needs to have presence, doesn’t need to be incredibly vocal, but needs to be able to strongly communicate a message and direct expectations.

In this case, Pendles doesn’t need to be as vocal if his deputies can do the talking. Dunn, Adams, Howe, Treloar, Varcoe, Maynard, Moore can all say enough- can even add Greenwood and (Blair)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back