Training Pre-season 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

First of all, Pendles played 50% ToG in the second game, can't even be bothered looking at game 1 because it's a ridiculous notion to scrutinise him on his pre-season performances.

Secondly, whilst you often have to take a lot of what's said regarding training standards with a grain of salt, I find it pretty easy to readily believe Warburton Lad/Mazzarjo etc when they say they feel training intensity has increased over previous years. These are guys who go to dozens of training sessions every year, as opposed to one country lad whose greatest aspiration is being the next Brereton in the media.

Anyway, the proof will be in the pudding, but having melts on here three days out from the season, because apparently we went light - for what was probably the 15-minutes of a single session that Brown could be stuffed hanging around for during his morning stroll - is really bizarre.

Wow what a horror pre season for so many. I felt bad about injuries but I feel like most are in the same boat.

Viney, Oliver, McDonald
Crouch, Walker ect
Hill brothers, spur ect
picken, Morris, adams
Danger, Ablett, s selwood (both might play)

Annoying but heaps of teams are in similar boats

Wow what a horror pre season for so many. I felt bad about injuries but I feel like most are in the same boat.

Viney, Oliver, McDonald
Crouch, Walker ect
Hill brothers, spur ect
picken, Morris, adams

I guess most of the angst over injuries is of the historical "here we go again" variety. It's the names on the list and their quality that worries rather than the quantity, one in particular. Elliott if you're wondering. It's compounded because we don't have much in the way of depth on the forward line to cover his loss, and the best of the depth (Fasolo) is injured too. Take out Wells whose delivery forward could cover some of the loss and the fears make some sense. That said, Our forward structure is new, and If Cox and Reid can upset tall defences then the loss of our small foci may not be so devastating as history might suggest.

But Langdon /could/ just bomb it down the line and it'd be an infinitely better choice than what he currently does. Would it be as effective as having Cloke/Rocca to bomb it to? Absolutely not, but you have to understand your own limitations and if he can't improve his kicking and decision-making then kicking it to ensure either a throw-in or contested mark is probably the better option.

Half of Maxwell's bombs led to them rebounding it for us to then re-defend it, I hated that he did it all the time rather then looking for a better option.

But Langdon /could/ just bomb it down the line and it'd be an infinitely better choice than what he currently does. Would it be as effective as having Cloke/Rocca to bomb it to? Absolutely not, but you have to understand your own limitations and if he can't improve his kicking and decision-making then kicking it to ensure either a throw-in or contested mark is probably the better option.

I'm not privvy to the coaches instructions to Langdon, but I doubt he'd have the green light for this.

Viney, Oliver, McDonald
Crouch, Walker ect
Hill brothers, spur ect
picken, Morris, adams

I thought it was just Collingwood.

I realise I'm coming in a little bit late on this but Browny's sledge at our training standards "On The Couch" was actually a funny segment. Even Garry, who is a seasoned commentator, was obviously having a bit of fun with him - hyping up his upcoming, explosive exposé on Collingwood and then pumping him to go hard! And then that! Hilarious!

I thought it was just Collingwood.
When it's been happening for seven straight years it tends to wear a person down. Given the outs of other teams I still think ours is worst of the comp.. Ablett will play. We have five and arguably six best 22 missing. Hawk fans are citing O Rourke and Ceglar as outs. Ceglar hasn't played for a year and a half and O Rourke is not best 22. Riolo is said to be playing. Most teams have around two good players missing-and Dogs/Hawks/ GWS aside, they have not endured the long years of constant injury we have.

When it's been happening for seven straight years it tends to wear a person down. Given the outs of other teams I still think ours is worst of the comp.. Ablett will play. We have five and arguably six best 22 missing. Hawk fans are citing O Rourke and Ceglar as outs. Ceglar hasn't played for a year and a half and O Rourke is not best 22. Riolo is said to be playing. Most teams have around two good players missing-and Dogs/Hawks/ GWS aside, they have not endured the long years of constant injury we have.
Come off it. If Viney and Oliver miss as well as Tom Mcdonald that trumps us hard.

Crisp I agree on. Howe has got better and Dunn is about the Same. WHE is probably the Biggest Improver but there also been some that not worked out like:

• Jesse White
  • Tony Armstrong
  • Clinton Young(Injuries did not Help)
  • Jordan Russell
  • James Aish(I am a Fan but not Really Come on since being Traded to us Sadly)
  • Chris Mayne
But you’re really talking about the fillers.

Aish is different as he’s still making his way in the game.
All the others are either fillers or tail of career.

We’re probably like every other club, some work out, some don’t.

Also Treloar has improved, though that was always going to happen.
Maynard has developed well.
Grundy continues to go on with it.
Cox keeps improving, which was always going to happen.

Some players keep improving, some get lazy.

Half of Maxwell's bombs led to them rebounding it for us to then re-defend it, I hated that he did it all the time rather then looking for a better option.
I’m ready to duck, but Maxwell was just a player. Nothing special.
Respected as captain and all that, made his career.

But as a player, pedestrian

Re: Captaincy of Pendlebury.

Simple really, does the group as a whole respect him, and feel he is THEIR captain?

If so, he’s a fine captain, if not then and only then is any criticism valid.

(Do people rate the quiet Michael Tuck?
Do people rate the quiet Gavin Brown?)

No argument on his skills or abilities Saintly - he caused a few turnovers in his days and certainly wasn't special on the ground.

But he always WENT when he needed to go, he always revved the guys up when they needed it and like his flag captain predecessor he always found a way because he bled black and white.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maxy was fearless, a good leader of men, got the most out of himself and could lay a good tackle or do the inspirational when called upon but, he was not a star player, there was no silk, he was in the Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer vernacular a 'Good Ordinary Footballer'. Maxy had a wonderful career and covered himself in glory more than a few times throughout, he was not elite, not a star per se, but he was, in my view, a very, very good captain, a premiership captain of the Collingwood Football Club and that makes him a champion.

Last edited:
No argument on his skills or abilities Saintly - he caused a few turnovers in his days and certainly wasn't special on the ground.

But he always WENT when he needed to go, he always revved the guys up when they needed it and like his flag captain predecessor he always found a way because he bled black and white.
Very good summation.

Maxy was fearless, a good leader of men, got the most out of himself and could lay a good tackle or do the inspirational when called upon but, he was not a star player, there was no silk, he was in the Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer vernacular a 'Good Ordinary Footballer'. Maxy had a wonderful career and covered himself in glory more than a few times throughout, he was not elite, not a star per se, but he was, in my view, a very, very good captain of the Collingwood Football team and that makes him a champion.
Good points, well made.

I’d be very surprised if Rioli was selected. It goes against everything the Hawks have done in regards to his injury management in the past to rush him back this early.

Simple really, does the group as a whole respect him, and feel he is THEIR captain?

They have a chance to vote for a new captain each season.

Everyone knows this.

It was never the skill that made Maxy stand out, it was his leadership and fearlessness in what he did, he'd of ran through a brick wall for any teammate on the list.

I don't know enough about other clubs, not really bothered, and without a proper listing at each it's pretty hard to assess. Be interesting to see the teams this weekend and get an up-to-date injury listing.

I’d be very surprised if Rioli was selected. It goes against everything the Hawks have done in regards to his injury management in the past to rush him back this early.

It will surprise me also Apex,my concern is how many small pacey forwards cut us to pieces last season.

Did you hate it in the 2010 drawn GF?
Think: his intercept mark and run that led to Cloke's goal that put us back in front.
I'm betting like me you were going "Thank God for you Maxy!"

Saint, no disrespect but "Rowdy" played the same sort of game as Lethal did (without the coathangers!) He was fearless and his courage and ability to do extraordinary team lifting things was legendary. He didn't need to talk too much, his footy and his attack on the contest spoke volumes.
Tucky....lots of people think Tucky was quiet because he didn't rant on the field. But he had blokes like Kennedy, Jeans, Brereton, Matthews, and a pretty handy side that he captained to premierships. Tucky was sly with his sledging but he sure did a number on Carman in '77 that made the Fabulous one hit him and miss the Granny!
Pendles has been a great player, absolute silk. But would you follow him into battle or would you rather have a Rowdy, Lethal, Tuck, Tuddy or Bobby Rose out in front of you. Me...I know who I'd choose.

Saint, no disrespect but "Rowdy" played the same sort of game as Lethal did (without the coathangers!) He was fearless and his courage and ability to do extraordinary team lifting things was legendary. He didn't need to talk too much, his footy and his attack on the contest spoke volumes.
Tucky....lots of people think Tucky was quiet because he didn't rant on the field. But he had blokes like Kennedy, Jeans, Brereton, Matthews, and a pretty handy side that he captained to premierships. Tucky was sly with his sledging but he sure did a number on Carman in '77 that made the Fabulous one hit him and miss the Granny!
Pendles has been a great player, absolute silk. But would you follow him into battle or would you rather have a Rowdy, Lethal, Tuck, Tuddy or Bobby Rose out in front of you. Me...I know who I'd choose.
It would depend on what type of battle you are referring to.
Pendles is very underrated by quite a few

Remove this Banner Ad

Back