Training Pre-season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
At his size, one beer with me wouldn’t even affect him, simmilar to Andre the giant.

Yes, he looks like a big unit in the TV/replays etc...but you never really understand how big players can be until you stand next to them. Then you understand how it must feel to be hit by these guys at full pace....

And yet...We still have dinosaurs who say the game is soft...

Yes, he looks like a big unit in the TV/replays etc...but you never really understand how big players can be until you stand next to them. Then you understand how it must feel to be hit by these guys at full pace....

The collisions are still there. Only difference is the elbows are down and no fists are thrown. Surely it’s more on its merits physically now more than ever.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

I've been one of those dinosaurs, and would like the right of reply........

From my perspective, the game was once too brutal, too reckless, and endangered the players too much.

Rules were quite rightly brought in to protect the player, but in doing so - and this is where opinions diverge - they've gone too far the other way.

The shirtfront is dead, and players are now so unsure about incidental contact / injury (see Dangerfield's ludicrous suspension) that they hesitate before instigating contact. Now, if you're hesitating you're not going full speed, and it has less impact if you're built like a D10 but hit the contest like a Corolla.

That in no way is to say that the players aren't hard in their desire or attitude, but that the game itself has become so.......careful, hence 'soft'........that it has lost some of its appeal.

Sticksman

Club Legend
Feb 7, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The shirtfront is dead

Tell that to Dangerfield after Sloane lined him up and smashed him right down the middle with no intention of winning the footy. "Play on!" cried the umpire. The SF is still in the game though no where as common as decades earlier. It should not only reportable but should incur a significant penalty. Four weeks as a minimum if I was the MRP officer.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Tell that to Dangerfield after Sloane lined him up and smashed him right down the middle with no intention of winning the footy. "Play on!" cried the umpire. The SF is still in the game though no where as common as decades earlier. It should not only reportable but should incur a significant penalty. Four weeks as a minimum if I was the MRP officer.

Ok, I should've been more specific and said 'near dead'.

But whether it should be eliminated entirely is likely another divergence of opinion.

I stood next to Shaun McKernan once and he has the biggest thighs I've ever seen. He was a mountain of a man and could have picked me up with one hand. Biggest hands I've ever seen too.

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
and this is part of the problem.. the players down time is becoming less and less..

Id rather see them get longer off but be more open and involved when they are "in season"

Just my 2c.

Go Catters
Have wondered if getting back into pre-season training early has actually lead to a better performance in the real season

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I stood next to Shaun McKernan once and he has the biggest thighs I've ever seen. He was a mountain of a man and could have picked me up with one hand. Biggest hands I've ever seen too.

I know AFL ruckman would be bigger than him but the sportsperson I met who was jaw droppingly big was John Hastings. Absolutely massive that guy and I think stands out a lot more when your frame of reference is other cricketers rather than AFL footballers.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
I know AFL ruckman would be bigger than him but the sportsperson I met who was jaw droppingly big was John Hastings. Absolutely massive that guy and I think stands out a lot more when your frame of reference is other cricketers rather than AFL footballers.

Mark Bradtke
Funniest thing I've seen was him trying to get to his rear seat on a 737. Literally had to turn sideways all the way down the aisle as his hips barely fitted between the seats and his shoulders went very close to the overhead storage if he walked normally :)
Wasn't in an exit row either :eek:

I read that. I had a beer with him a couple of weeks ago, absolute mountain of a man.
I had a drink with him last year round Christmas, I don't think it's a coincidence that he improved his game dramatically and was in the seniors this year when fit.

I eagerly await seeing what a beer with your good self does for him

I had a drink with him last year round Christmas, I don't think it's a coincidence that he improved his game dramatically and was in the seniors this year when fit.

I eagerly await seeing what a beer with your good self does for him
Drinking with Hack DJs has not been known to improve footballers historically, but who knows?

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Liking the fact that Krueger is at the club training on the first day of preseason considering the fact that he's not required to start until next week.
I'd imagine that after missing out on being drafted last year he was probably pretty keen to get into things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back