Training Pre-season 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can make a strong argument that he is quite simply the greatest player ever to pull on football boots so just everyone should just chill with the great man.
Lol, no you couldn't. It's his old man then daylight.

Glad to see the news about GAJ playing mainly forward this season, I think it’s best for the team.

Agree with the posters saying that he won’t be much of a marking target considering those shoulders, but more of a crumbing front-and-centre player with great goal sense.

I reckon GAJ will play more of a HF role though. Menegola did it very well last season, starting most centre bounces at HF then pushing up and helping around stoppages. I think GAJ can still do that and help around the ball at times with his smarts but staying close enough to the forward 50 that he can quickly run back inside 50 if we kick it in there, where he can time his run and crumb the ball off marking contests.

It also allows someone else to take his full time centre-bounce midfield time from last season like a Duncan & Parfitt which I think is best for the team too.

GAJ mainly forward. Jelwood a bit more back. Danger as a full-time inside mid again, Duncan in the centre again with Kelly, then Parfitt & Narkle given a lot more time in there I think will work very well.

Glad to see the news about GAJ playing mainly forward this season, I think it’s best for the team.

Agree with the posters saying that he won’t be much of a marking target considering those shoulders, but more of a crumbing front-and-centre player with great goal sense.

I reckon GAJ will play more of a HF role though. Menegola did it very well last season, starting most centre bounces at HF then pushing up and helping around stoppages. I think GAJ can still do that and help around the ball at times with his smarts but staying close enough to the forward 50 that he can quickly run back inside 50 if we kick it in there, where he can time his run and crumb the ball off marking contests.

It also allows someone else to take his full time centre-bounce midfield time from last season like a Duncan & Parfitt which I think is best for the team too.

GAJ mainly forward. Jelwood a bit more back. Danger as a full-time inside mid again, Duncan in the centre again with Kelly, then Parfitt & Narkle given a lot more time in there I think will work very well.

Yep. Totally agree :thumbsu:

Yep. Totally agree :thumbsu:

I reckon a FWD line of:

HF: Ablett - Ratugolea - Menegola
FF: Dahlhaus - Hawkins - Rohan

Would work well :thumbsu: Two good marking targets. Ablett & Menegola can push up the ground into stoppages at times. Then Dahlhaus & Rohan to provide pressure along with one or two of Cockatoo / Tarca / Atkins (coming off the bench) to help with that pressure I50 as well.

Why was the comp's best player not selected?
Dusty, I refer to of course.

Apparently he tried to nominate but couldn't spell AFLX. ;)

Can we get you in a coaching role!

I reckon a FWD line of:

HF: Ablett - Ratugolea - Menegola
FF: Dahlhaus - Hawkins - Rohan

Would work well :thumbsu: Two good marking targets. Ablett & Menegola can push up the ground into stoppages at times. Then Dahlhaus & Rohan to provide pressure along with one or two of Cockatoo / Tarca / Atkins (coming off the bench) to help with that pressure I50 as well.

Still just a touch too cumbersome for me. Assuming he is fit I would have Cocky and if not then Atkins instead of Menegola. Would play Menegola further up the field.

Still just a touch too cumbersome for me. Assuming he is fit I would have Cocky and if not then Atkins instead of Menegola. Would play Menegola further up the field.

I’ve got Menegola at HF because that’s where he’ll always start, but he’s one that pushes up into stoppages consistently.

So in reality the forward line would be:
Ablett - Ratugolea - Cockatoo
Rohan - Hawkins - Dahlhaus

Which is a good mix of marking targets, pressure & goal sense.

Just had Menegola at HF because that’s where he’ll start at centre bounces but yes he will push up into the midfield the most out of himself, Ablett, Dahlhaus, Cockatoo.

Making him accountable for his defensive efforts would be a good start...
Sure, but there seems to be a question over ability as much as willingness. Can he actually stick serious tackles anymore?

hahaha if junior is the biggest concern with our team and there is a question as to whether what he contributes makes him a best 22 player, then we are PREMIERHSIP FAVOURITES and actual certainties!!!

I’ve got Menegola at HF because that’s where he’ll always start, but he’s one that pushes up into stoppages consistently.

So in reality the forward line would be:
Ablett - Ratugolea - Cockatoo
Rohan - Hawkins - Dahlhaus

Which is a good mix of marking targets, pressure & goal sense.

Just had Menegola at HF because that’s where he’ll start at centre bounces but yes he will push up into the midfield the most out of himself, Ablett, Dahlhaus, Cockatoo.
Personally, I would love to see Esava and Tom switch spots.

Tom plays best when he is working up the ground then back, saves him from just planting himself and inviting other defenders to roll off and outnumber him.

Would also swap Ablett and Rohan, having Ablett down next to Esava would make the deep defender less likely to roll off and support the FB on Esava because they would be nervous about Ablett that close to goal roving a contest where there is no-one down manning him

I'll never understand this line of thinking. The medicos know there is an issue with groins that lead to games being missed at the end of last season, so the choice is made to do nothing and hope that they'll come right by themselves but means compromising the coming pre-season something that is of vital importance to 1-4 years players.

So now here we are 4 weeks before the season starts and Lachie is off for surgery he could have had in October. He has missed out on doing a pre-season due to hoping the issue will correct itself and is now a year behind his contemporaries in building a fitness base.

What happened to the review we were meant to do into all things off-field?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll never understand this line of thinking. The medicos know there is an issue with groins that lead to games being missed at the end of last season, so the choice is made to do nothing and hope that they'll come right by themselves but means compromising the coming pre-season something that is of vital importance to 1-4 years players.

So now here we are 4 weeks before the season starts and Lachie is off for surgery he could have had in October. He has missed out on doing a pre-season due to hoping the issue will correct itself and is now a year behind his contemporaries in building a fitness base.

What happened to the review we were meant to do into all things off-field?

Why do you think medical issues are so black and white?
Do you have medical qualifications to back up your suggestion?
Essentially you are calling our club doctors inept.
I know some supporters find criticising everything about the club a sport, but without access to Lachie's medical records, I'm just wondering how you come to this conclusion.

I know some supporters find criticising everything about the club a sport, but without access to Lachie's medical records, I'm just wondering how you come to this conclusion.
How long was Menzel at Sydney before they put him in for surgery on his groins that our medical team tried to treat with injections?

Linc McCarthy was at the Lions for how long before they found a screw was installed incorrectly?

How long was Menzel at Sydney before they put him in for surgery on his groins that our medical team tried to treat with injections?

Linc McCarthy was at the Lions for how long before they found a screw was installed incorrectly?
I don't know, do you?
Do you think the Geelong medical staff perform surgery themselves?
Do you think Menzel getting the injections outside of the club might have had something to with it?
I can only speculate, because I'm not a medical practitioner.

A pretty reasonable set of questions I reckon.

I don't know, do you?
Do you think the Geelong medical staff perform surgery themselves?
Do you think Menzel getting the injections outside of the club might have had something to with it?
I can only speculate, because I'm not a medical practitioner.
Do you think that after the ASADA saga that any club doesn't know what a player is being injected with and by whom?

Does that the club medicos approved the injections by whoever provided them and how the injection turning out not give you pause as to the decision to try the injection rather than look at a surgical solution?

Wouldn't how the Menzel situation ended up make you think that the next time a player presents with a groin issue similar not make you think you'd treat it in a manner different to the last one to present?

What is the definition of insanity again?

Isn't speculation what this site is all about?

Do you think that after the ASADA saga that any club doesn't know what a player is being injected with and by whom?

Does that the club medicos approved the injections by whoever provided them and how the injection turning out not give you pause as to the decision to try the injection rather than look at a surgical solution?

Wouldn't how the Menzel situation ended up make you think that the next time a player presents with a groin issue similar not make you think you'd treat it in a manner different to the last one to present?

What is the definition of insanity again?

Isn't speculation what this site is all about?
Speculation isn't declaring someone guilty without evidence.
You've asked a lot of questions there without giving answers. Presumably you know them.
As a club supporter (fanbois?) I don't have direct access to any of the above information, so yes I would be speculating.
The club might well have made a mistake in their treatment of Menzel, Linc and Lachie.
Nobody gets everything right 100% of the time.
I'm willing to bet we have similar rates of success/failure with medical issues that other clubs experience.
That, of course, is me speculating again, because I don't have any figures to back that up.
What I'm not doing is jumping to conclusions.

Danger a full time inside mid... I know some would love that but I can not see that happening

Shocking news about Fogarty. Another promising pick struck down for longish periods early in his career with a chronic issue.

As for the club's approach, it appears to follow the same m.o. that we have seen over quite some time now. And has been happening at other clubs as well. Hence the reason that a number of players across the comp don't go in for surgery immediately post-season. But end up there some time down the track.

Ultimately, more clubs that just the GFC are doing all that they can possibly can to avoid surgical interventions with players where the medical staff see a reasonable prospect of recovery with rest and a slow build.

And, as for the Menz scenario, whatever happened there is hardly likely to give rise to a spike in medicos at footy clubs recommending drastic interventions to seek to overcome chronic issues. It's actually a reason for doctors (and players, for that matter) to sense the inherent value that might be found in not going under the knife/needle and simply resting instead.

In any case, we're clearly not alone as a sporting organisation in advocating surgery or the like as the very last resort in a number of cases.

So this gross incompetence of medicos in sport runs surprisingly deep, it would appear.

Tuohy in doubt for round 1.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/surgery-sidelines-cats-youngster-for-start-of-season

GEELONG youngster Lachie Fogarty is set to miss the start of the season, while doubt surrounds the future of defender Zach Tuohy's consecutive games streak.

Tuohy has failed to return to full running as he works through the rehabilitation of post-season knee surgery.

With much of his summer spent behind closed doors, Tuohy has worked on his fitness through cross-training exercises.

The Irishman, who holds the longest current active streak in the competition with 138 consecutive matches, is expected to ramp up his running inside the next fortnight.

Our preseason scratch match against Nth Melb is at torquay in two weeks.

Geelong will hold match simulation against North Melbourne in Torquay in two weeks' time before its first JLT Community Series match against West Coast on March 1.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/surgery-sidelines-cats-youngster-for-start-of-season

I hope we've done proper due diligence on our knee surgeon(s)
First Henderson and now Zac T taking a while to recover from relatively minor clean-ups/surgery :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back