Training Pre-season 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope we've done proper due diligence on our knee surgeon(s)
First Henderson and now Zac T taking a while to recover from relatively minor clean-ups/surgery :eek:

I'm sure they have.

There can be a multitude of post op complications no matter how good the surgeon is. It's the human body after all, and they often respond differently to invasive procedures.

Sure, but there seems to be a question over ability as much as willingness. Can he actually stick serious tackles anymore?
To my eye his elbow was troubling him more last season than what his shoulder was. His shoulder is fine and has been for a couple of years. His range of motion may not be what it once was but there is nothing wrong with the stability of the joint due to the type of surgery that he had last time around. Even in his last season at the Suns he was averaging more tackles than what he did last season with us...

Has his elbow healed over the off season? No idea but the fact that he's been in full training over the pre season gives me confidence that it has. So to answer your question, yes I do believe that he still has the ability to stick tackles provided that his elbow is no longer troubling him.

For arguments sake let's just say that he doesn't have the ability to stick strong tackles anymore. That's still no excuse to not be in the right positions to enable him to be able to chase, pressure and corrall his opponents when necessary. Last season he picked and choosed when he wanted to actually put in defensively from an effort or application POV and that's what frustrated me the most but more importantly shouldn't be accepted by either his coaches or his teammates.

To my eye his elbow was troubling him more last season than what his shoulder was. His shoulder is fine and has been for a couple of years. His range of motion may not be what it once was but there is nothing wrong with the stability of the joint due to the type of surgery that he had last time around. Even in his last season at the Suns he was averaging more tackles than what he did last season with us...

Has his elbow healed over the off season? No idea but the fact that he's been in full training over the pre season gives me confidence that it has. So to answer your question, yes I do believe that he still has the ability to stick tackles provided that his elbow is no longer troubling him.

For arguments sake let's just say that he doesn't have the ability to stick strong tackles anymore. That's still no excuse to not be in the right positions to enable him to be able to chase, pressure and corrall his opponents when necessary. Last season he picked and choosed when he wanted to actually put in defensively from an effort or application POV and that's what frustrated me the most but more importantly shouldn't be accepted by either his coaches or his teammates.

To my mind, even if the concerns are accurate Gaz will still represent a net increase in our forward pressure if you think of him as coming in for Menzel. And I honestly think the concerns are overblown and he's going to be a more than handy forward.

To my mind, even if the concerns are accurate Gaz will still represent a net increase in our forward pressure if you think of him as coming in for Menzel. And I honestly think the concerns are overblown and he's going to be a more than handy forward.
Could not agree more... will kick more goals, give more assists and doesnt have to do very much, if anything at all to add defensively

Last edited:
Not high volume sports in Australia.

No but your being sexist a bit like brain Taylor wowee look at me. Women are 2-10 times more likely to do an acl compared to men. We know this from you know all the other sports lol. Soccer, Basketball where female pro leagues are a big business.

Are we going to stop women playing these sports ? Like AFLw ? Because of the increased risk of injury ban these sports for women?

It's a boom in womens sport with that comes injuries and better preventative measure and much more research. Melbourne university, monash etc all currently running studies. The initial stats on AFLW say exactly what we already knew!!!! It's just someone wrote an article on AFL.com and boom now it's this incredible issue that came from nowhere.

Australia has the highest rate of ACL surgery in the world why becaus we created ridiculous games where we tackle each other off balance, jump pivot and have contact.

The number of young people having acl surgery has risen 70% in the last 15 years.

50-80% of acls are preventable through agility and strength training.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/amp.abc.net.au/article/10364518

The studies on AFLW are revolving around how much contact or physical sports female have played before taking up AFLW. Are they used to landing playing the game, preventative training methods etc. This is the major stepping stone to lowering the statistics training methods etc.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-11/womens-football-acl-injury-prevention/8465100

So the stats you having been harping on is
Acl injuries
Women 6.47% per 1000 hours
Men 0.7% per 1000 hours

None of this is new evidence it's old as previously stated we already have this data from the huge amount of data coming from other professional female sport soccer, basketball. It's extremely likely on sample size data in growing sports with not refined programs to get higher numbers especially in AFL.

Netball is the no.1 contact sport for women in australia

The 5th most popular outside of school hours

38% of ACLS were sustained in netball

20% of meniscal injuries came from netball.

But yeah let's ignore other sports where majority of these injuries are happening. All these injuries are coming in netball lets stop women playing netball while we are at it to.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.thefemaleacl.com/blog/female-acl-injury-statistics.amp

Females across all sports 3.5 times more likely injure ACL.

So in summary other than 4 - 5 years of data on AFLW

Tell me something new

That’s impressive Ray. Well done. I have learnt something from big footy.

Just as a note still seems pretty low incident rate. I remember there was a period in men’s footy when there seemed to be allot of ACL’s and they looked into it and changed certain strengthening programs and footwear designs also changed which could be the reason it seems footballers fall over more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So we have lost Fogarty to hip surgery... Wonder how long he will be out of action.

I like this idea of the Mid-Season draft, however, I'm not sure if it is the right thing for the competition.

Poor Fogarty the small forward second year curse strikes again. At least it's not a foot hopefully back training in 2 months.

Hip injury geelong seems confident to get him back first half of year. Personally I hope they take it really slowly I don't mind if we don't see him at senior level until after the bye.

The first surgery generally the most difficult to work out rehab, recovery speed.

Wish him all the best

Screenshot_20190208-004729_AFL.jpg

Poor Fogarty the small forward second year curse strikes again. At least it's not a foot hopefully back training in 2 months.

Hip injury geelong seems confident to get him back first half of year. Personally I hope they take it really slowly I don't mind if we don't see him at senior level until after the bye.

The first surgery generally the most difficult to work out rehab, recovery speed.

Wish him all the best

View attachment 616183
I don't mind if we don't see him at senior level full stop. Love Fogarty, but happy for him to just have a development year.

With Fogarty gone, Constable might get a run, has Charlie been full training?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Considering how close he was last year I'd almost be more surprised if Chook didn't get a game, although I do wonder about how it will impact on our midfield setup/balance.

As far as I can tell he doesn't have much scope to develop as a defender or forward like Fogarty or Parfitt have.

In any case, we're clearly not alone as a sporting organisation in advocating surgery or the like as the very last resort in a number of cases.

It is commonly said in the medical world to use surgery as a last resort as any surgery has complications and risks. Seems reasonable the risks vs benefits would also be carefully weighed in professional sports....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering how close he was last year I'd almost be more surprised if Chook didn't get a game, although I do wonder about how it will impact on our midfield setup/balance.

As far as I can tell he doesn't have much scope to develop as a defender or forward like Fogarty or Parfitt have.
I just hope they play anyone rather than Scott Selwood

A poor hope. All well and good to wish success, but failure?

There is not a player on our list that I don't hope has a career year and plays every game.
If 40 odd players play every game I can't see how we don't win the flag.

Can see Constable coming in and having immediate impact feeding Parfitt and Kelly.
There was a recent article about Selwood saying they expected him to play him more outside the centre square and planned to use the likes of Fogarty, Narkle, Kelly and Parfitt in the engine room with no mention of Constable.

Also interesting was it mentioned how Selwood has more clearances than any player since 2007.

https://outline.com/sq4UPp

There was a recent article about Selwood saying they expected him to play him more outside the centre square and planned to use the likes of Fogarty, Narkle, Kelly and Parfitt in the engine room with no mention of Constable.

Also interesting was it mentioned how Selwood has more clearances than any player since 2007.

https://outline.com/sq4UPp

With our clearance issues lthink Constable will be essential if Sels moves out.
None of those you mentioned inspire me much as inside animals.
I think they're more outside link players with the exception of Narkle to a degree.
Maybe Atkins and Dahlaus should be considered as well.

Last edited:
With our clearance issues lthink Constable will be essential if Sels moves out.
None of those you mentioned inspire me much as inside animals.
I think they're more outside link players with the exception of Narkle to a degree.
Maybe Atkins should be considered as well.
I'm hoping it was an oversight more than anything or the opinion of the author. I think Constable will get a crack in the JLT series.

I'm hoping it was an oversight more than anything or the opinion of the author. I think Constable will get a crack in the JLT series.

A guy that averaged 25 possessions in his first season with some injury interuptions that upset his season would be top of my list.
Imagine what he looks like now compared to last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back