Training Pre-season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a recent article about Selwood saying they expected him to play him more outside the centre square and planned to use the likes of Fogarty, Narkle, Kelly and Parfitt in the engine room with no mention of Constable.

Also interesting was it mentioned how Selwood has more clearances than any player since 2007.

https://outline.com/sq4UPp
Free kicks also get you a clearance stat. He’s topped that nearly every year for the last 5 or so.

There was a recent article about Selwood saying they expected him to play him more outside the centre square and planned to use the likes of Fogarty, Narkle, Kelly and Parfitt in the engine room with no mention of Constable.

Also interesting was it mentioned how Selwood has more clearances than any player since 2007.

https://outline.com/sq4UPp
Free kicks also get you a clearance stat. He’s topped that nearly every year for the last 5 or so.

Also helps that he's played the most games since he debuted in 2007 too.

Free kicks from stoppages gets you a clearance stat, not from direct play.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Hahaha what the actual * is wrong with so called "supporters" on this board. Are well now looking for ways to downgrade Joel Selwood's career!! Jeezus people ffffing support him and the cats. I notice you don't make other observations around context like for the first 2 seasons of that period he was a teenager and played in an unbelievable team where so so many greats took opportunities away from him by getting their own clearances. I swear some people on this have become so bitter on this that they seem to hate Geelong!

Hahaha what the actual **** is wrong with so called "supporters" on this board. Are well now looking for ways to downgrade Joel Selwood's career!! Jeezus people ffffing support him and the cats. I notice you don't make other observations around context like for the first 2 seasons of that period he was a teenager and played in an unbelievable team where so so many greats took opportunities away from him by getting their own clearances. I swear some people on this have become so bitter on this that they seem to hate Geelong!
An entire pre-season of negativity based on an elimination final loss. I'd hate to be around this place when we finally start sinking down the ladder.

Hahaha what the actual **** is wrong with so called "supporters" on this board. Are well now looking for ways to downgrade Joel Selwood's career!! Jeezus people ffffing support him and the cats. I notice you don't make other observations around context like for the first 2 seasons of that period he was a teenager and played in an unbelievable team where so so many greats took opportunities away from him by getting their own clearances. I swear some people on this have become so bitter on this that they seem to hate Geelong!
Lol, what are you even on about?

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

I have been a huge fan of Joel Sellwoods - at one point i thought he was nearly Geelongs greatest ever player - just an absolute champion

However one thing id like him to do this year - is stop complaining to the umpires - just totally ignore them - and concentrate on the game . Because to me in the last couple of years - hes appealing to the umpires for a Geel free kick constantly - when he isnt actually in the play - but is around the scene . That begins to grate and i wish he would eliminate it from his game - and hopefully this year

I have been a huge fan of Joel Sellwoods - at one point i thought he was nearly Geelongs greatest ever player - just an absolute champion

However one thing id like him to do this year - is stop complaining to the umpires - just totally ignore them - and concentrate on the game . Because to me in the last couple of years - hes appealing to the umpires for a Geel free kick constantly - when he isnt actually in the play - but is around the scene . That begins to grate and i wish he would eliminate it from his game - and hopefully this year
Yeah I agree. Good post.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

I'm not always a fan of his appeals to the umps, but I suggest, in his defence, that it could be a manifestation of his frustration with the scragging and cheap shots he's had to endure for a long time now.

What has started out as a personal frustration has possibly seen him lose some focus at times and now affects his judgement with incidents that don't necessarily involve him.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA

You read winty's post as trying to downgrade Joel's career,Stans right to ask what are you on about dude.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not always a fan of his appeals to the umps, but I suggest, in his defence, that it could be a manifestation of his frustration with the scragging and cheap shots he's had to endure for a long time now.

What has started out as a personal frustration has possibly seen him lose some focus at times and now affects his judgement with incidents that don't necessarily involve him.

Well it depends which team you support !!! - when they have shots of him in the box (and i like that he shows emotion when Geel kicksay an important goal - compared to say bland old Don Pyke ) but i hadnt taken much notice ( or didnt bother me ) when they had shots of C Scott complaining about umpire decisions

Then Nth Melb played Geel in a final ( so there was a bit at stake ) they had constant shots of B Scott complaining about every decision - that got on my nerves - i thought you whinging baarstard

Thus thats the reason id like Joel to cut it out of his game

Hahaha nothing at all Stan. Just don't understand the negativity to one of the true greats of our club. Perhaps you can explain it to me?
I love our skipper aswell mate but no one is perfect. Unless there are posts that I haven't seen no one has written anything that is all that bad I wouldn't have thought.

There are far worse things written on this board that I would have taken offense to, but that's just me I guess.

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Well it depends which team you support !!! - when they have shots of him in the box (and i like that he shows emotion when Geel kicksay an important goal - compared to say bland old Don Pyke ) but i hadnt taken much notice ( or didnt bother me ) when they had shots of C Scott complaining about umpire decisions

Then Nth Melb played Geel in a final ( so there was a bit at stake ) they had constant shots of B Scott complaining about every decision - that got on my nerves - i thought you whinging baarstard

Thus thats the reason id like Joel to cut it out of his game
Side tracking a bit but I reckon big Tom Hawkins gets a better run from the umpires when he just plays the game.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
An entire pre-season of negativity based on an elimination final loss. I'd hate to be around this place when we finally start sinking down the ladder.

Think it was based on more than just one finals loss.

It was also based on:

- A sad repeat of previous poor finals performances;
- Another goalless opening quarter in a final (that’s three straight seasons);
- A lot of highly touted senior players getting exposed again; and
- Selfishness and poor discipline from senior players.

In any case, we’re not going to sink down the ladder. The club has embraced free agency, which I’m reliably informed, has changed the landscape.

It was also based on:

In any case, we’re not going to sink down the ladder. The club has embraced free agency, which I’m reliably informed, has changed the landscape.
There's no point dwelling on the past with a new season ahead.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

It was also based on:

Its changed the landscape, for sure, but the jury remains out on just how exactly.

Clubs are trying to find a benefit in such a player movement, and you can't blame them for that. To remain successful you need to look at all avenues.

Can it be used to advantage? Will it? Will some clubs be better at this strategy than others?

Only time can tell us.

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
The members of the 44 year club will still be here as loyal as ever.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I love our skipper aswell mate but no one is perfect. Unless there are posts that I haven't seen no one has written anything that is all that bad I wouldn't have thought.

There are far worse things written on this board that I would have taken offense to, but that's just me I guess.

I honestly didn't take offence but I do find this board to be quite critical and pessimistic on the whole but maybe that is just me

Nov 7, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
There's no point dwelling on the past with a new season ahead.
We need to dwell on it long enough to learn the lessons,there has been little evidence the last few years that we have learnt anything,nether lone implemented any counter measures.This year fingers crossed.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Side tracking a bit but I reckon big Tom Hawkins gets a better run from the umpires when he just plays the game.

Probably, but that also reinforces the fact that the umps are swayed by personalities and their sense of ego when the only factor should be the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back