Pre Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Where is Corbett? He’d be a logical replacement for Sexton if available. I guess he’s not.
I know he's one of your favourites but Corbett and Sexton are nothing a like.
Apparently he played in the NEAFL game and did quite well though.

There is room for him as a 3rd tall forward with 2 of Day / King / Wright. Reckon he'll get a chance this year - didn't really take his chance with both hands last year.

I know he's one of your favourites but Corbett and Sexton are nothing a like.
Apparently he played in the NEAFL game and did quite well though.

There is room for him as a 3rd tall forward with 2 of Day / King / Wright. Reckon he'll get a chance this year - didn't really take his chance with both hands last year.
They are alike in that they are both medium sized forwards. That’s all. Their styles are different & Sexton is way ahead in performance. I thought Corbett played ok for a first year player. He’s a strong mark. His kicking was inaccurate. Apparently his kicking was a strength in previous years, so maybe it was just panic as he gets used to AFL. If he tidies up his kicking, I think he could be a regular multiple goal kicker in AFL. I think delivery to our forwards in 2020 will be better than 2019, which will give our forwards a better chance. I rate Corbett between our 20th and 30th best player. If he improves a bit from his 2019 form, he could scrape in to our best 22. The fact he hasn’t featured in our Marsh Community matches suggests he won’t. If he was ready to play, in my view, he’d be a logical replacement while Sexton is out. The step up from NEAFL practice match to round 1 AFL is huge, so I doubt he will come in. By the time he is match fit, Sexton will probably be back. Hopefully Sexton will even be back for round 1. It would be better for Corbett to gain some consistency in the NEAFL before getting another chance at AFL level. He was rushed in last year.

For Corbett to play IMO there are 2 conditions
- We want to play with 3 tall forwards
- He is deemed better than one of the current 3 incumbents.

Certainly not impossible.

For Corbett to play IMO there are 2 conditions
- We want to play with 3 tall forwards
- He is deemed better than one of the current 3 incumbents.

Certainly not impossible.
Yes, I agree that Corbett would play probably only if we go 3 tall forwards.

He just need to get into form, get some games under his belt. Personally I would prefer firing Corbett with King and Wright over Day, King, Wright.

He is much quicker, creates more pressure than Day, runs all day. For a 3rd tall he has a great leap, marks well. Too early to say his kicking is a weakness. He played just handful of games. Definitely, AFL quality for me.

Yes, I agree that Corbett would play probably only if we go 3 tall forwards.

He just need to get into form, get some games under his belt. Personally I would prefer firing Corbett with King and Wright over Day, King, Wright.

He is much quicker, creates more pressure than Day, runs all day. For a 3rd tall he has a great leap, marks well. Too early to say his kicking is a weakness. He played just handful of games. Definitely, AFL quality for me.
Definitely has an avenue to games, I reckon he'll get his chance.
His marking is great, pressure is great. Jack Darling would be the absolute ideal comparison. Biggest difference for me is he doesn't seem to add a lot with ball on the ground in open play. Very much mark kick. Limits his offensive impact IMO.

Very early on though. Has bene int he AFL system for less than a year when he got his chance. Can see him improving.

Just some thoughts on the pre-season, I watched the whole Geelong game and the first quarter or so of the Adelaide game.

PRESEASON GAMES
  • Geelong are a veteran team, don't be surprised if they get off to a slow start, but they will come home with a wet sail - too much top-end talent.
  • Adelaide was always going to struggle with some significant gaps.
SUNS EXPECTATIONS
  • Some genuine YOUNG top-end talent now, but there isn't much to get excited about outside of Ainsworth, Anderson, Rowell, Rankine, King, Budarick, Sharp and most will be expected to play. We need to develop 5-10 young players who will push these real top-end talents for their spots and can fill in when required - I don't think those 5-10 development players currently reside on our list (I know this is a point of disagreement).
  • Greenwood and Ellis will obviously help, but in the aggregate - good but not great players.
  • The suns need to make early calls on 2MD, Day, Hanley, Thompson, Murdoch and Horlin-Smith - I don't like to talk about another man's job, but they are list stuffers to be traded, de-listed or other. We should look to the state leagues for some big-bodied replacements (Kane Mitchell types) who can come in and swing the bat and are good for 15-25 per game while our young players get adjusted.
  • Injuries - they are going to happen and because we are light-on in list positions 22-30, the effect will be more pronounced.
  • Game style - as has been commented, we are fitter and getting more numbers to the contest which has shown up as more pressure acts. I still hate us forward of 50 as we tend to bomb rather than pinpoint. A huge improvement will come if players like Touk, Rankine, Sexton and King can start working together and our mids can deliver the clean ball. I'm not sure this will happen this year. Love our defensive pressure coming out of our own forward 50.
  • Fans - Would be nice if the club could add 3-4k fans this year.
I hope Suns fans are a little measured in their expectations this year, 6 wins would be acceptable, 6-10 wins would be a success IMO.

I am also excited by Graham, Brodie, Powell, Mcpherson, Ballard, Luko, Bowes, Flanders, Rosas if we talk about young players. I guess, I am easier to get excited.

My bad - I should have qualified that as A-grade talent.

Statistically, 4/9 of those players will be delisted without playing 30 games for us.

Just some thoughts on the pre-season, I watched the whole Geelong game and the first quarter or so of the Adelaide game.

PRESEASON GAMES
  • Geelong are a veteran team, don't be surprised if they get off to a slow start, but they will come home with a wet sail - too much top-end talent.
SUNS EXPECTATIONS
  • Some genuine YOUNG top-end talent now, but there isn't much to get excited about outside of Ainsworth, Anderson, Rowell, Rankine, King, Budarick, Sharp and most will be expected to play. We need to develop 5-10 young players who will push these real top-end talents for their spots and can fill in when required - I don't think those 5-10 development players currently reside on our list (I know this is a point of disagreement).
  • Greenwood and Ellis will obviously help, but in the aggregate - good but not great players.
  • The suns need to make early calls on 2MD, Day, Hanley, Thompson, Murdoch and Horlin-Smith - I don't like to talk about another man's job, but they are list stuffers to be traded, de-listed or other. We should look to the state leagues for some big-bodied replacements (Kane Mitchell types) who can come in and swing the bat and are good for 15-25 per game while our young players get adjusted.
  • Injuries - they are going to happen and because we are light-on in list positions 22-30, the effect will be more pronounced.
  • Game style - as has been commented, we are fitter and getting more numbers to the contest which has shown up as more pressure acts. I still hate us forward of 50 as we tend to bomb rather than pinpoint. A huge improvement will come if players like Touk, Rankine, Sexton and King can start working together and our mids can deliver the clean ball. I'm not sure this will happen this year. Love our defensive pressure coming out of our own forward 50.
I hope Suns fans are a little measured in their expectations this year, 6 wins would be acceptable, 6-10 wins would be a success IMO.
We get 5 wins and a percentage above 90 that's a good year for us IMO

Statistically, 4/9 of those players will be delisted without playing 30 games for us.

Graham, Brodie, Powell, Mcpherson, Ballard, Luko, Bowes, Flanders, Rosas
4 of these won't play 30 games?
Maybe Graham Powell Flanders and Rosas- but you'd think 2 of those would go past 50
The others are near lock 200 game players excluding injury

Maybe Graham Powell Flanders and Rosas- but you'd think 2 of those would go past 50
Powell and Flanders will be long time players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistically....

PRESEASON GAMES
SUNS EXPECTATIONS
Measured expectations my ass!

I expect us to do well every year - where’s the fun watching football and being realistic!

top 8 this year -mark my words

IMHO The top clubs always have very high expectations and so do their fans, we shouldn’t accept anything less if we want to build a successful culture

I understand this year is a developmental year be we should go into each game thinking we are a chance

My bad - I should have qualified that as A-grade talent.

Haha. Maybe 4/9 of drafted players in general but not from these 9 players. Seven of them already played and showed more than enough except Graham. Three players already played your 30 games limit - Bowes 41, Mcpherson 39, Ballard 32. Three are not far off - Luko 21, Powell 20, Brodie 19.

What Graham showed this preseason indicates he should make it. In case of Flanders, Rosas - no AFL games but just watching highlights and 2 practice games (Rosas) - only silly person would suggest they will be delisted. Yes, there are also injuries.

All these players have potential to turn into A-grade. It does not mean it will happen. 2-3 is a good chance.

Last edited:
Haha. May be 4/9 of drafted players in general but not from these 9 players. Seven of them already played and showed more than enough except Graham. Three players already played your 30 games limit - Bowes 41, Mcpherson 39, Ballard 32. Three are not far off - Luko 21, Powell 20, Brodie 19.

What Graham showed this preseason indicates he should make it. In case of Flanders, Rosas - no AFL games but just watching highlights and 2 practice games (Rosas) - only silly person would suggest they will be delisted. Yes, there are also injuries.

All these players have potential to turn into A-grade. It does not mean it will happen. 2-3 is a good chance.
Was kind of a bizarre statement with zero assessment of the current status.

Was kind of a bizarre statement with zero assessment of the current status.
Not the sort of post from a new forum member that would necessarily inspire confidence for the future
But plenty of time to make amends!
Always good to have new people so I'm not discouraging opinions that may differ from the status quo

I have been super impressed with Graham, wouldn’t be surprised to see him hold his spot even when Thompson returns
I was thinking that too but re watched some games recently with Rory playing. I think we forget how good he is. I remember Hombsch last year saying he's far and away our best key defender. Hopefully the ACL hasn't wrecked him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back