Preview Pre-Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm, well that rules Sproule out from the third forward / relief ruck role that he filled for a bunch of games last year; at least for the start of the year.

Guess that opens up an opportunity for Brander, Riccardi or one of the spare rucks (maybe Flynn if Preuss wins the main role) to take that role.
I'm not sure anyone had Sproule in their first 22. But he did fill in quite well last year. Let's hope Brander and Riccardi can compete for that third tall role so we aren't relying on Sproule any minutes. He can focus on a VFL premiereship 😄

I'm not sure anyone had Sproule in their first 22. But he did fill in quite well last year. Let's hope Brander and Riccardi can compete for that third tall role so we aren't relying on Sproule any minutes. He can focus on a VFL premiereship 😄
Yeah, didn't mean he would have the position. And while I agree that most wouldn't have had Sproule in their 22 (I certainly didn't) ... technically he's the incumbent, which means the match committee might not be so forward in ruling him out.

Last edited:
Yeah, didn't mean he would have the position. And while I agree that most wouldn't have had Sproule in their 22 (I certainly didn't) ... technically he's the incumbent, which means the match committee might not be so forward in ruling him out.
What does your forward line look like for round one? Starting 6.
Who do you think gets first crack at solidifying their spot as that third tall?
Toby replacement?

What does your forward line look like for round one? Starting 6.
Who do you think gets first crack at solidifying their spot as that third tall?
Toby replacement?
I had Flynn as the third tall in my "best 22" team. Phil Davis recently commented favourably about Brander in pre-season, and also Riccardi, so it's probably pretty open.

I'd see Conor Stone as a good option to fill in for Toby at the start of the season.

What is the go with Callaghan? He has not been on the track yet and was mentioned a few weeks ago as in injury rehab group. It’s been a few weeks since the draft and he had the foot injury last year. I hate that the club is cagey with stuff like that.

What is the go with Callaghan? He has not been on the track yet and was mentioned a few weeks ago as in injury rehab group. It’s been a few weeks since the draft and he had the foot injury last year. I hate that the club is cagey with stuff like that.
Lets hope we get to see him in the preseason game, sadly there is only one hitout so they might just opt to go with the top team.
Kinda funny we will play them in preseason and then in round 1 at Accor.

Leek seems to be in main training and working hard so that's a huge positive.
I'm very excited about what Callaghan could bring, if he's even close to the draft wraps on him we have a Bont/Kelly hybrid on our hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had Flynn as the third tall in my "best 22" team. Phil Davis recently commented favourably about Brander in pre-season, and also Riccardi, so it's probably pretty open.

I'd see Conor Stone as a good option to fill in for Toby at the start of the season.
Yeah I think it's more a style choice currently.
Flynn/Riccardi play a similar style to Hogan, so I feel like they will have to basically eclipse him to grab that spot.

Brander gives us a different look at scoring and linking. Hoping for more of a JC style of up and back to compliment Himmel/Hogan. Obviously he won't be as dominant as Jeremy though.

Agree on Stone. Flying under the radar but I'd say he's a 🔒 to fill that role early.

Flynn/Riccardi play a similar style to Hogan, so I feel like they will have to basically eclipse him to grab that spot.

Brander gives us a different look at scoring and linking. Hoping for more of a JC style of up and back to compliment Himmel/Hogan. Obviously he won't be as dominant as Jeremy though.
Interesting comments on the style - and you may be right.

I'd agree about Flynn & Hogan being stylistically similar, though I would not have said Riccardi was that similar. But I don't mind that, and if Hogan does miss a few games through injury, then Flynn can comfortably continue with that role, as well as fulfill ruck relief duties.

I am keen to see exactly what Brander will bring. I do agree he's more in the linking role, which matches the Finlayson role from the last couple of years and that Sproule did last season. The question around Brander is whether he could take the relief ruck duties, and part of that will be who fills the main ruckman role and how much relief he actually requires.

I guess we'll see how the pre-season role-filling starts to stack up soon.

Agree on Stone. Flying under the radar but I'd say he's a 🔒 to fill that role early.
Seen a lot of wc games and brander needs a lot of work to become a scoring/linking option

Seen a lot of wc games and brander needs a lot of work to become a scoring/linking option
Yeah I haven't seen a lot of his work at WC tbh.
I know they were playing him on the wing and "out of position"...will be really interesting to see if he can have an Idun like glow up this year and cement a spot. Certainly sounds like they are liking his work in the preseason.
Another low risk acquisition for our forward line. Brander and Hogan would be the cheapest big forward line combo in the league. Which is handy given our midfield is basically made of gold at this point.

Yeah I haven't seen a lot of his work at WC tbh.
I know they were playing him on the wing and "out of position"...will be really interesting to see if he can have an Idun like glow up this year and cement a spot. Certainly sounds like they are liking his work in the preseason.
Another low risk acquisition for our forward line. Brander and Hogan would be the cheapest big forward line combo in the league. Which is handy given our midfield is basically made of gold at this point.
I definitely think he can be a 1st 22 player but needs to work on his marking in particular .... I’d say he was just unhappy at wc and could blossom at gws. Also agree that Hogan, brander, riccardi, sproule are a bargain forward group .... hope Jesse can play 18 games this year

Riccardi is one of the most interesting players for us this season imo, think if he hits and develops his game further and become a true key forward that really changes the dynamic of our entire forward line. Another genuine goal kicker and target up forward would be huge to have someone work with Hogan and also would be great insurance for when Hogan inevitably misses time (rest or injury). From the limited word we've heard from how pre-season is tracking he seems to look quite impressive amongst the group and hopefully that's just not general pre-season buzz but solid significant development in his game. Loved that he stayed when he probably would've had options elsewhere with a greater chance of playing time. Out of current KF stocks he's really our only chance at one of them developing into a proper number 1 forward while the others are probably old enough at this point for us to know what we have in them and can't expect much more improvement from them.

Does any other team have more of a budget forward tall forward line stocks?
(Not talking about quality I just mean what they were traded/drafted at)

Himmelberg was a pick #16.

But after that

Riccardi - pick 51
Hogan - traded pick 54
Brander - signed as Delisted Free Agent

I think Brander and Riccardi have a lot of improvement left in them, Hogan we have seen his best, it's just about getting back there, but he's hitting his prime age NOW....so that could still work.

If they actually get working and create some iteration of a threatening big 3. That will legitimately be some Moneyball s**t.

Does any other team have more of a budget forward tall forward line stocks?
(Not talking about quality I just mean what they were traded/drafted at)

Himmelberg was a pick #16.

But after that

Riccardi - pick 51
Hogan - traded pick 54
Brander - signed as Delisted Free Agent

I think Brander and Riccardi have a lot of improvement left in them, Hogan we have seen his best, it's just about getting back there, but he's hitting his prime age NOW....so that could still work.

If they actually get working and create some iteration of a threatening big 3. That will legitimately be some Moneyball sh*t.
Really good forwards a difficult to land because your're either spending high drat picks on them in the draft or via trade or handing out big bucks for them in free agency and I think we've probably done as good as anyone at getting the most out of not investing a ton in our KF's. Even as good as we've done I still think we dont' have enough in that posiiton if Hogan can't stay healthy, we can only get so far with not investing a lot in our KF without getting super lucky and maybe Brander or Riccardi we get really lucky with and they develop significantly the next couple years. But when everything's clicking for us up forward and everyone is healthy I think it's enough which is a major credit to our list management team and development team for being able to get the most out of a group that doesn't have a lot of highly regarded prospects, with the exception of Hogan but there was a reason we were able to get him for what he cost us.

I had assumed he may be recovering from COVID just given he was supposedly recovered from his foot hotspot by draft time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back