Preview Pre-Season 2022

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Just rewatched our final against the swans. Like many games, we faded badly in the second half.
Playing players in the best position for the team is so important. Eg Melbourne and Angus Brayshaw. He couldn’t fit into the midfield so they improved his running and he plays his role for a premiership team. Consequently, if we want to go to the next level we need to equally brave as a coaching group, and players need to be equally selfless and team oriented.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Whitfield Taylor Peatling
Ash Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill

Preuss/Flynn Hopper Green

Ward XOH Stone Sproule/Briggs/etc

I see a high ceiling in Peatling. He can kick well, is quick, agile and can leap. Expect him to push for a starting spot. More importantly, he gives our team more of an edge. That’s a great back six imo (if Davis is healthy).
Then Ash and Kelly on the wing. FWIW it could be someone like Angwin on the wing if he develops. My point is we need elite run out there. Ash could certainly be an elite winger. Has speed, endurance and can kick.
FWIW I can see Cogs playing the team oriented role as more of a defensive role when required.
Thoughts?

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Just rewatched our final against the swans. Like many games, we faded badly in the second half.
Playing players in the best position for the team is so important. Eg Melbourne and Angus Brayshaw. He couldn’t fit into the midfield so they improved his running and he plays his role for a premiership team. Consequently, if we want to go to the next level we need to equally brave as a coaching group, and players need to be equally selfless and team oriented.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill

I see a high ceiling in Peatling. He can kick well, is quick, agile and can leap. Expect him to push for a starting spot. More importantly, he gives our team more of an edge. That’s a great back six imo (if Davis is healthy).
Then Ash and Kelly on the wing. FWIW it could be someone like Angwin on the wing if he develops. My point is we need elite run out there. Ash could certainly be an elite winger. Has speed, endurance and can kick.
FWIW I can see Cogs playing the team oriented role as more of a defensive role when required.
Thoughts?
You are probably a defender short in that team and Idun will absolutely be the one to come in.

I agree regarding players needing to play their role but I genuinely cannot think of a player who would need to change to do this. I think they DO play roles dont they? I think they are team orientated already

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill

Thoughts?
Peatling over Perryman? Not sure you could point to anything Peatling has done to suggest he's going to be in the side over Perryman, Idun also has to be in the side he turned into a great small/medium lockdown defender. I really like Stone too and maybe he breaks into the side but he can't be playing over a proven players like Idun unless he really develops over the off-season and is a much better player next year. Rest of it seems pretty standard, not sure how much wing we're going to see from Kelly in the coming years he's developed into a really good inside midfielder and we need his ball use out of the centre, the more he touches the ball the better. I'd also play Bruhn over Stone and maybe even Hill unless we see some big improvement from Hill. Right there with you on Ash think he can be a star, thought his last 2 games of the year were some of his best of his short career so far saw him use his legs more and pulled off some really difficult kicks.

Haynes Davis Cumming
Ash Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Taranto
Daniels Hogan Hill

Thoughts?
No Perryman?
Perryman is one of our better player, especially if we are talking about tea orientated, 1% ers etc

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
No Perryman?
Perryman is one of our better player, especially if we are talking about tea orientated, 1% ers etc
I don’t see our best side with him on a wing unless his running improves a lot.
The argument is about having a side that doesn’t get run over the top of like we have been these last couple of years.
Do people on here genuinely think that we are a good enough running side?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Peatling over Perryman? Not sure you could point to anything Peatling has done to suggest he's going to be in the side over Perryman, Idun also has to be in the side he turned into a great small/medium lockdown defender. I really like Stone too and maybe he breaks into the side but he can't be playing over a proven players like Idun unless he really develops over the off-season and is a much better player next year. Rest of it seems pretty standard, not sure how much wing we're going to see from Kelly in the coming years he's developed into a really good inside midfielder and we need his ball use out of the centre, the more he touches the ball the better. I'd also play Bruhn over Stone and maybe even Hill unless we see some big improvement from Hill. Right there with you on Ash think he can be a star, thought his last 2 games of the year were some of his best of his short career so far saw him use his legs more and pulled off some really difficult kicks.
More dynamic… which is exactly what our team needs. Perryman is a good player but we have too many of his type. Good sides have the right balance.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
You are probably a defender short in that team and Idun will absolutely be the one to come in.

I agree regarding players needing to play their role but I genuinely cannot think of a player who would need to change to do this. I think they DO play roles dont they? I think they are team orientated already
Yeah Idun is good… he could be on the bench. We need more dynamic run though.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I am more referring to coaches to assign the right roles to the right strengths. Eg. I don’t think Perryman is a good enough runner to play on a wing consistently. He’s a good player but I think we have too many of his type.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Of course it would be great to get more run and explosiveness from the backline but Idun was one of the best small/medium defenders in the entire comp we can't just leave him out of the side, last season was his first season of getting consistent games I'd be willing to bet getting more games into him will help him develop the offensive side of his game a bit more. Perryman is good intercepter and a player that helps open up the game a bit more from the backhalf, he probably isn't a full time wing but his tank is good enough to rotate in there while playing majority half back.

I don’t see our best side with him on a wing unless his running improves a lot.
The argument is about having a side that doesn’t get run over the top of like we have been these last couple of years.
Do people on here genuinely think that we are a good enough running side?

Couldn't disagree more.

I dont think there is a single thing that Peatling does better than Perryman

I prefer him playing back pocket than wing, which is where you have Peatling, but over the last 2 years he has been very strong on the wing, he only missed out on the BnF by a point or 2 last year and probably would have won it if he stayed on the wing.

Perryman launches heaps of our attack with a very penetrating kick, he takes great options and is brilliant on the accountability stuff.

He is definitely not any chance of being left out, and I reckon that Peatling is about 5 or 6 back at best from first team football.

We got run over in games last year because we were playing a stack of inexperienced kids who haven't fully developed, swapping Perryman for Peatling makes that a bigger issue rather than solve it.

Guys like XOH, Bruhn and Ash last year were struggling to run games out due to experience, a common issue with kids.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Couldn't disagree more.

I dont think there is a single thing that Peatling does better than Perryman

I prefer him playing back pocket than wing, which is where you have Peatling, but over the last 2 years he has been very strong on the wing, he only missed out on the BnF by a point or 2 last year and probably would have won it if he stayed on the wing.

Perryman launches heaps of our attack with a very penetrating kick, he takes great options and is brilliant on the accountability stuff.

He is definitely not any chance of being left out, and I reckon that Peatling is about 5 or 6 back at best from first team football.

We got run over in games last year because we were playing a stack of inexperienced kids who haven't fully developed, swapping Perryman for Peatling makes that a bigger issue rather than solve it.

Guys like XOH, Bruhn and Ash last year were struggling to run games out due to experience, a common issue with kids.
Incorrect. Peatling is much quicker than Perryman and takes grabs and hangers… which Perryman doesn’t do or have in his game. Again, I’m not contesting whether Perryman is a good player. We have too many of his type in the side.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Of course it would be great to get more run and explosiveness from the backline but Idun was one of the best small/medium defenders in the entire comp we can't just leave him out of the side, last season was his first season of getting consistent games I'd be willing to bet getting more games into him will help him develop the offensive side of his game a bit more. Perryman is good intercepter and a player that helps open up the game a bit more from the backhalf, he probably isn't a full time wing but his tank is good enough to rotate in there while playing majority half back.
Didn’t I say Idun could be in there?

Mar 8, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Angels
Incorrect. Peatling is much quicker than Perryman and takes grabs and hangers… which Perryman doesn’t do or have in his game. Again, I’m not contesting whether Perryman is a good player. We have too many of his type in the side.
Agree 100%. Perryman is extremely slow. Not 100% sure he's suited to how the game has evolved (I often wonder how effective someone like Jimmy Bartel would be these days).

Perryman is a beautiful kick however. And hard as a cat's head.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Yep, that's the nub with Pez. Great in every aspect except speed.

Peatling is lesser (though still solid) in every aspect, but possibly more well-rounded when his speed is included.

Something for the coaching team to work out how to best use the two of them. Such as, can we use Perryman forward - though not quick, he is smart, and was leading the Coleman race for several rounds a few years ago so he can find the goals.

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I do find it interesting that after the year that’s been had Cogs isn’t one of the early starters.
Kelly, Whitfield, Idun, all 3 Rucks all back plus others but no Cogs…..

Entirely up to him of course, disappointing though.
Just because we see photos of guys training doesn't mean that if we don't see photos of other guys they're not training. It's hard to imagine anyone training right now is doing anything too serious it's probably just light work to keep the skills sharp, which he very well may be doing with Bobby, MDB and anyone else over in WA.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Just because we see photos of guys training doesn't mean that if we don't see photos of other guys they're not training. It's hard to imagine anyone training right now is doing anything too serious it's probably just light work to keep the skills sharp, which he very well may be doing with Bobby, MDB and anyone else over in WA.
I just hope he rests enough to get his feet and ankles right.

Back