Training Pre-Season 2023 (First game 18/3 v North)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good to see the Dominator back in the Media.
The Eagles missed him last year will be back with a bang.
Im Back Episode 4 GIF by Friends

Some positive(ish) news on Yeo

“He had a tiny calf niggle a month ago. We’ve been really conservative, he needs a really good run at it. He could start training with the group tomorrow, but we’re going to be really conservative with him. He needs to keep building that base.”

Simpson on Elliot Yeo

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any actual news on the Winder thing?

Isiah Winder looks set to retain his spot on West Coast’s rookie list despite being investigated for an alleged drunken physical assault while away at an Indigenous players summit over east.
Winder, 20, was understood to have been out drinking with several players from other clubs after the AFL/AFLPA Indigenous and Multicultural Players Summit on Friday night when the incident allegedly occurred.

It came just two days after the Eagles redrafted the Bunbury product as a rookie on Wednesday after two years on the senior list.

A source told The West Australian Winder was likely to retain his spot on the list despite the investigation.

They said Winder was “OK but frustrated” and remorseful for his actions, which resulted in him being stood down from the AFL program by the Eagles.

West Coast were informed on Saturday morning of the incident, with Winder meeting with club officials on Monday afternoon where he was told he would be demoted to the WAFL program, with the situation to be re-evaluated in early January.

Winder returned to Mineral Resources Park on Tuesday, where he is still allowed to use the facilities and is being supported and receiving counselling through the Eagles and the AFL Players’ Association.
Eagles teammate Jamaine Jones, who played seven games for Geelong between 2017 and 2019 before joining West Coast, was also at the gathering but is understood not to have been with Winder at the time of the incident.

Winder was not arrested and is awaiting to see if Victorian Police will charge him over the alleged incident.

The other party is understood to have not been seriously hurt, with the AFL’s integrity unit also holding an investigation.
Those close to the forward are shocked at the allegations, with Winder understood to want to be a role model to young children in the Indigenous community, as well as play football.

Winder was delisted by West Coast in October but convinced the Eagles to redraft him after returning to pre-season training in the best condition of his career.
The seven-game forward is believed to have responded to his axing by getting a personal trainer and also steering away from alcohol to ensure he gave himself the best chance to get on the rookie list.

He played six games for the Eagles in 2022, with the last coming in round 12 of this season, after being drafted with pick 57 in the 2020 draft.

West Coast will return to training on Wednesday morning.

Several players from several clubs all drinking together at a private gathering but also members of the public there? And then whatever has happened has been enough for either the venue to report it to police or a member of the public to report it to police?

It's all a bit strange. Coupled with JJ accusing people in Geelong for being racist or the Geelong Hotel for being racist/allowing racism, we are definitely not getting the full story.

Headed down to training this morning. Only arrived at 9:30 so missed the early part of the session. Some notes:
  • There was a group of about six who trained away from the main group with trainers. Bazzo, Barrass, Yeo, Foley, XON and Waterman.
  • XON, Foley and Yeo started with running some laps. Yeo left them after a little while, looks in good shape though. Both XON and Foley seemed to be hitting full stride and moved well.
  • Barrass, Bazzo and Waterman did some run throughs and stretching, before Barrass and Bazzo built up to doing some sprints.
  • Waterman looked hampered by something and stopped the sprints after a little while. Didn’t look overly comfortable hitting top speed and later did some stretching and exercises with a trainer while Barrass and Bazzo continued to progress. They then did some light kicking drills to finish off.
  • Darling I saw early in the session doing a very light walk/jog by himself around the oval before I think leaving the track shortly after
  • Five of the draftees - Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Long and Baker trained in a group away from the main group. They did a run/walk around the oval to start, increasing their pace as they went, before moving into some agility and some football-related drills.
  • Ginbey and Long were running a fair way ahead of Hewett, Burgiel and Baker. Was particularly impressed with Ginbey’s work on the track today, looks very fit and athletic.
  • Barnett only walked laps with a trainer and was joined by Allen for a couple of laps. Towards the end of the session he moved to the far side of the oval and did some skills with I think Dewar, though I couldn’t see super clearly who it was.
  • From when I was there, the session seemed more ball movement/skills related over running. Makes sense as they had the time trial this morning.
  • Those who I didn’t see - Gaff, Sheed, Naitanui, Ledwards, Chesser, Petch and obviously Winder.
  • All of the players were inside by 10:30, so about a 90 minute session.
  • Just as an aside, Zane Trew looked very sharp to me throughout. Hope us re-drafting him pays off this season.

Headed down to training this morning. Only arrived at 9:30 so missed the early part of the session. Some notes:
  • There was a group of about six who trained away from the main group with trainers. Bazzo, Barrass, Yeo, Foley, XON and Waterman.
  • XON, Foley and Yeo started with running some laps. Yeo left them after a little while, looks in good shape though. Both XON and Foley seemed to be hitting full stride and moved well.
  • Barrass, Bazzo and Waterman did some run throughs and stretching, before Barrass and Bazzo built up to doing some sprints.
  • Waterman looked hampered by something and stopped the sprints after a little while. Didn’t look overly comfortable hitting top speed and later did some stretching and exercises with a trainer while Barrass and Bazzo continued to progress. They then did some light kicking drills to finish off.
  • Darling I saw early in the session doing a very light walk/jog by himself around the oval before I think leaving the track shortly after
  • Five of the draftees - Ginbey, Hewett, Burgiel, Long and Baker trained in a group away from the main group. They did a run/walk around the oval to start, increasing their pace as they went, before moving into some agility and some football-related drills.
  • Ginbey and Long were running a fair way ahead of Hewett, Burgiel and Baker. Was particularly impressed with Ginbey’s work on the track today, looks very fit and athletic.
  • Barnett only walked laps with a trainer and was joined by Allen for a couple of laps. Towards the end of the session he moved to the far side of the oval and did some skills with I think Dewar, though I couldn’t see super clearly who it was.
  • From when I was there, the session seemed more ball movement/skills related over running. Makes sense as they had the time trial this morning.
  • Those who I didn’t see - Gaff, Sheed, Naitanui, Ledwards, Chesser, Petch and obviously Winder.
  • All of the players were inside by 10:30, so about a 90 minute session.
  • Just as an aside, Zane Trew looked very sharp to me throughout. Hope us re-drafting him pays off this season.
Came on to type up my impressions but this covers off basically everything I was going to say so you’ve saved me the trouble. Couple of things I’ll add

• Sheed was there
• Agree with your thoughts on Trew, he’s been training well
• Jamieson is also impressing me. Looks less like a baby giraffe than he used and is moving well. His kicking for a tall is also pretty respectable
• Cole is showing no lingering effect of his ankle injury and is covering the ground nicely
• Ginbey is indeed a very good trainer and the way he ran the laps showed he’s aerobically fit, moreso than Hewett which surprised me
• Simpson said on Duffield’s show that Naitanui is crook which explains why he wasn’t there today or Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back