Training Pre Season 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Did nice things for a first year ruck in the vfl last year. Held his own against senior rucks, tap work looks decent, he's a good mark, dead eye dick in front of goal, very clean at ground level for a bloke his size, agile and importantly he's got some real mongrel.

Once he bulks up I think he'll be special.

That’s great and all…. But this write up seems exactly like Coleman-Jones. Do we really need a hybrid ruck forward, master of none?
I hope he makes it, but will he be able to hold down a full time kpf position? Or is he a full time Ruck? Rarely do players excel in both positions, they usually end up neither here nor there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a limited but courageous footballer that has got the absolute most out of his ability. Good on him and Im wrapt he is a Tiger. The only thing I question is his choice in women (wannabe D grade celeb) and his one on one defensive skills.
Talking about his fiancé who was the Melbourne Cup ambassador?
I’m not sure you analysis on Broad is remotely correct. Considering he is a 3 time premiership player, was leading out b and f at half way last year before getting hurt. Rarely gets beaten.
I respect your somewhat misguided opinion based on the fact everyone is allowed to have one

People get excited on hope despite the fact his best footy has been as a defender by miles and that's the only place he's shown elite potential.

I dont know what the obsession is with wanting players to be something, when they've shown capability elsewhere to lock them in.

It reminds me of the "let's play Vlastuin as an inside midfielder" phase despite him never being much of a mid and a gun as a medium defender.
Until we have seen him play as a forward then you don't know if forward or back is his best position. You can't in all fairness use his few first games as an indicator. Besides we are in more need of a forward than a back, although it would be handy that he could play in both and go where needed. He is just a young player starting out, it is not going to harm his development. He could also be a great ruckman if he was needed there I reckon, which he isn't. He is a special talent.

Until we have seen him play as a forward then you don't know if forward or back is his best position. You can't in all fairness use his few first games as an indicator. Besides we are in more need of a forward than a back, although it would be handy that he could play in both and go where needed. He is just a young player starting out, it is not going to harm his development. He could also be a great ruckman if he was needed there I reckon, which he isn't. He is a special talent.
Dare say the coaches would have a fair indication of his best position

despite a less than underwhelming first game - i agree, i think he should have been picked on form before CCJ in just last years games on the few VFL games he played ....
It was a terrible selection by the match committee to bring him in that early and in those conditions. Copped a knock early and it was game over. CCJ was ready, Samson wasn't.

That’s great and all…. But this write up seems exactly like Coleman-Jones. Do we really need a hybrid ruck forward, master of none?
I hope he makes it, but will he be able to hold down a full time kpf position? Or is he a full time Ruck? Rarely do players excel in both positions, they usually end up neither here nor there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I reckon he'll be a ruck long term but while he matures and puts on weight he'll probably split his time between the two positions, especially when he plays @ AFL level. In the VFL last season we had Chol, Samson and CCJ all rotating through so with them gone he should be able to get a lot more time in the ruck this year.

What makes people think balta would be better as a forward? He doesn’t have good enough awareness and creativity IMO and looks much more like an athletic rebounding defender in the rance mould. What am I missing?

I don’t mind it as a break glass in case of emergency option. Or even a semi-regular brief rotation through there but primarily he is a defender for sure.

Club has a great record with switching players roles around so will be interesting to see what happens.
We need to develop someone behind Lynch and JR.
it’d be asking too much to throw him down forward without having played any forward time at training or in practice matches.
In my eyes he’s the most likely outside of Lynch and Reiwoldt of hitting the scoreboard.
We already know what he’s capable of in the back half let’s see what he’s got up forward

Training- whose flying whose not?
Man's Early Flight Attempts on Make a GIF

It was a terrible selection by the match committee to bring him in that early and in those conditions. Copped a knock early and it was game over. CCJ was ready, Samson wasn't.
Totally. And that's not even with hindsight - quite a few of us here called it when the teams went up the night before and we'd seen the weather conditions for that match. It's the most glaring error the match committee have made for a few years I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a limited but courageous footballer that has got the absolute most out of his ability. Good on him and Im wrapt he is a Tiger. The only thing I question is his choice in women (wannabe D grade celeb) and his one on one defensive skills.
Broad would have been close to leading our B&F over Grimes when he went down last year. Limited he was, but he has improved every year and now is a pretty complete backman.

He averaged 16.4 disposals and 6.5 marks per game last year, which is pretty good. Vlastuin over his career has averaged 16.2 disposals and 5.4 marks as a comparison, and has only had 2 years in his career where he has more possessions than Broad had last year, 6.4 marks a year his best marks.

His defensive skills are very good, but sometimes he is left isolated on the really big forwards which will trouble all but the best big bodies backs. Reckon you are selling him a fair bit short.

Last edited:
Broad would have been close to leading our B&F over Grimes when he went down last year. Limited he was, but he has improved every year and now is a pretty complete backman.

He averaged 16.4 disposals and 6.5 marks per game last year, which is pretty good. Vlastuin over his career has averaged 16.2 disposals and 5.4 marks as a comparison, and has only had 2 years in his career where he has more possessions than Broad had last year, 6.4 marks a year his best marks.

His defensive skills are very good, but sometimes he is left isolated on the really big forwards which will trouble all but the best big bodies forwards. Reckon you are selling him a fair bit short.
My only criticism of him is his overconfidence using the left peg. Misses targets too often when he could easily have used the right.

We need to develop someone behind Lynch and JR.
it’d be asking too much to throw him down forward without having played any forward time at training or in practice matches.
In my eyes he’s the most likely outside of Lynch and Reiwoldt of hitting the scoreboard.
We already know what he’s capable of in the back half let’s see what he’s got up forward
Tarrant, Grimes and Miller as the 3 KPDs isn't as good as Tarrant, Balta and Grimes.

Defence wins premierships.

Talking about his fiancé who was the Melbourne Cup ambassador?
I’m not sure you analysis on Broad is remotely correct. Considering he is a 3 time premiership player, was leading out b and f at half way last year before getting hurt. Rarely gets beaten.
I respect your somewhat misguided opinion based on the fact everyone is allowed to have one
His fiancé first appeared on Love Island which requires real talent to appear on - not. She got the Melb Cup gig off the back of one of our Board members

Shane Ellen is also a multiple Premiership player

Come on the board after a while what's new selling Broad short again would be picked in my team everyday of week improvement every year you want a job done no frills attached his your man.

Most underrated player in the league

New look lineup for backline being spruked by the club including Gibcus early in the season!

I freaking told you he would play and play early. Balta fwd.

Shame on you and yes, you know who you are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back