Training Pre Season 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

Saw Liam Buxton play a few times last year at Vermont in Eastern FL Div 1. Was a very good player at that level and is a giant of a man. As a break glass in case of emergency he is a good option

Sure is - 198cm and 104kg from what I can find, so he's ready to go size-wise at least, unlike Ryan.

Versus the Dees, Kennedy played in the position where Walsh would ideally play for the Blues, as an offensive side mid.
There are two ways of carrying the ball.
Run and spread, which has greater risks on the rebound, or channel to a loose link man.
They channeled to Kennedy.
Run and spread is a serious risk.

Last edited:
I understand all the Hoo Ha about Arts getting a run but he has actually played ok in the pre season. Love him or hate him, you cant actually deny that.
would still prefer caddy every day off the week. good luck if aarts gets a gig but still only filling in till jack graham is right. good depth when 25 tigers fighting for a game.

Cripps is still very important for the Blues.
More like a "burst" player these days, not running as widely.
He seems to play a tightly focussed, specific position.
Nailed the two long bomb goals on the 50-metre arc.

Cripps is still very important for the Blues.
More like a "burst" player these days, not running as widely.
He seems to play a tightly focussed, specific position.
Nailed the two long bomb goals on the 50-metre arc.
Cripps gets away with many many 25m bursts without bouncing it, umps give him a lot of leeway in that area.

Ross will line up on the wing. I’m nearly certain.
Actually really happy for him. I wasn’t overly excited about him coming into the pre season matches but he played well in all three games.

I hope he can cement a spot. He can definitely find the footy 20+ times a game on a wing. It’s just what he does with it after finding it.

If he kicks a goal on Thursday night in front of 75k at the G I’m going to be first up cheering loudly for the kid. 👏🏻

Actually really happy for him. I wasn’t overly excited about him coming into the pre season matches but he played well in all three games.

I hope he can cement a spot. He can definitely find the footy 20+ times a game on a wing. It’s just what he does with it after finding it.

If he kicks a goal on Thursday night in front of 75k at the G I’m going to be first up cheering loudly for the kid. 👏🏻
Spent the most amount of time in the middle behind Dusty in the first practice match, so you would think he might be also going through the middle and also playing wing. He might get a defensive role a bit on Cripps as well, he played that defensive mid in the first practice match. Cripps will need watching and Ross is pretty big and strong and a good tackler. It will be a choice between he and Aarts the way they have gone about it in the lead up, no chance you can play Aarts on Cripps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spent the most amount of time in the middle behind Dusty in the first practice match, so you would think he might be also going through the middle and also playing wing. He might get a defensive role a bit on Cripps as well, he played that defensive mid in the first practice match. Cripps will need watching and Ross is pretty big and strong and a good tackler. It will be a choice between he and Aarts the way they have gone about it in the lead up, no chance you can play Aarts on Cripps.
Ross just needs to find his role at senior level. He is at that stage going into his 4th year that he’s dabbled in a few different type of midfield roles and none of them have really shown his strengths as of yet.

If playing a defensive type role in the midfield suits him then hopefully flourishes and we find a diamond in the rough.

Ross just needs to find his role at senior level. He is at that stage going into his 4th year that he’s dabbled in a few different type of midfield roles and none of them have really shown his strengths as of yet.

If playing a defensive type role in the midfield suits him then hopefully flourishes and we find a diamond in the rough.
I rate him quite highly, just needs to get the confidence that raises players up another level. He is strong and uses the ball by hand well. Limited a bit by foot but no worse than half the AFL inside mids but is good defensively and probably our only true defensive mid besides Graham who is wasted as a defensive mid because he is actually a very attacking link player.

I think the wing thing is just to find another spot for him for structures/rotations. If he can learn that position and play it half well then that is a bonus. There will be plenty of heat coming on our wingman this season as Pickett has found out, with Stack, Hugo, maybe Sonsie, even Dow maybe, maybe even Short. Injuries and retirements are always a young players way in, so if Ross can play in the side and then take a more senior role in the guts then it is better than coming in via the VFL.

Last edited:

wingman are fast, he is slow as paint drying

Not fast necessarily but elite runners. He isn't one.
He's not slow over a short distance and has good change of direction speed, but ideally yes prefer quick wingman. Gaff is not fast, McCluggage and Robinson for Brisbane are not. Besides he is a mid who spells on the wing, so would not be there permanently just part of rotations with perhaps mids like Edwards.

He was also one of our best runners over the preseason so he has worked on that aspect as well. Won the preseason award with Broad.

As I said, finding a spot for a while until a midfield role more full time when one opens up. If he is found wanting, then he will be replaced by a young kid like Stack or Sonsie maybe. Seems to read the play well as he does find the footy even when on the wing.

He's not slow over a short distance and has good change of direction speed, but ideally yes prefer quick wingman. Gaff is not fast, McCluggage and Robinson for Brisbane are not. Besides he is a mid who spells on the wing, so would not be there permanently just part of rotations with perhaps mids like Edwards.

He was also one of our best runners over the preseason so he has worked on that aspect as well. Won the preseason award with Broad.

As I said, finding a spot for a while until a midfield role more full time when one opens up. If he is found wanting, then he will be replaced by a young kid like Stack or Sonsie maybe. Seems to read the play well as he does find the footy even when on the wing.
I'd much prefer Ralphsmith on a wing. He's a better runner and much better overhead. Dimma like his wingers to get back and chop out in defence. That isn't Ross.

I'd much prefer Ralphsmith on a wing. He's a better runner and much better overhead. Dimma like his wingers to get back and chop out in defence. That isn't Ross.
Yes me too, but Ross is not a wingman he is a mid who is going to the wings when not in the middle. He played predominantly mid in the first practice game with Aarts on the wing, the second one, they switched. So they are having a look.

So it is a matter of team balance. Ross is more use than Aarts both in the middle and on the wing in my opinion, but I think they are having a look. Ross will have spend the summer with this in mind, which includes getting back in defence. Developing mids have to have a second spots unless they are guns like Walsh. Petracca started as a half forward.

I think our game plan revolves around one pure winger (Macca). The other plays as a defensive mid - thus Ross and Aarts, and you see Caddy and other mids lining up there at the bounces. Perhaps people attending on Thu night can confirm the running patterns of that 'other' winger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back