Training Pre Season 21/22

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
" I am not going to mince my words there, he has still got a bit of work to do."

Three reasons they say that publicly:
1. Stack and his management are under no illusions how annoyed the club is.
2. Informs us of the reason why Stacky isn't getting games - and why he may not be a Tiger in '23
3. Final warning. Real Last Chance Saloon stuff.
You'd have to imagine that he's missed at least one of the performance metrics in his new contract. Hopefully seeing what he missed out on financially may give him the kick in the ass he needs. Though he's had a few now and doesn't look like they've made much difference.

poppa pump

All Australian
Jun 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
IMG_20211130_085614.jpg

Sep 19, 2006
AFL Club
Richmond
Gibcus - Would like to see him see out his career in defence, however not against pulling a Naughton and making him our next major target forward.
Brown - Really reminds me of Vlastuin! Hopefully can become his future replacement/play same role
Sonsie - Steal of the draft. Reminds me a bit of Shane Edwards and reckon will be a permanent mid long term.
Banks - Best of luck, but don't have a great feeling
Clarke - Hope to be proven wrong here but don't see much in him either. Shouldn't be too hard to overtake Aarts/George who are borderline best 22 now anyway.

I think Cotchin will impress. People have written him off. I don't see him playing close to 22 games, but if we can nurture him, will become a deadly weapon for us come finals time.

Massive year for RCD, Ross and Stack. I think Graham will take that next step too becoming more consistent. Should be given the captaincy.

nah mate no leg definition and his arse is ******* huge. I’m one of his biggest fans but that is not on

His leg is in the air and he's at an angle so him bum stands out. But he doesn't look to have definition in his legs. Can't really tell from that shot.

But WTF is going on with his teeth. Looks like tatts o_O. Maybe a guard.

Gibcus - Would like to see him see out his career in defence, however not against pulling a Naughton and making him our next major target forward.
Brown - Really reminds me of Vlastuin! Hopefully can become his future replacement/play same role
Sonsie - Steal of the draft. Reminds me a bit of Shane Edwards and reckon will be a permanent mid long term.
Banks - Best of luck, but don't have a great feeling
Clarke - Hope to be proven wrong here but don't see much in him either. Shouldn't be too hard to overtake Aarts/George who are borderline best 22 now anyway.

I think Cotchin will impress. People have written him off. I don't see him playing close to 22 games, but if we can nurture him, will become a deadly weapon for us come finals time.

Massive year for RCD, Ross and Stack. I think Graham will take that next step too becoming more consistent. Should be given the captaincy.

Funny, I agree on Gibcus.
Brown, not really Vlas. More liek a taller Bachar is my hope.
Sonie - steal of the draft. Cotchin Edwards mixture.
Banks - love this pick. Captain leader, inside outside mid, great reader of the game, elite kick. fast as f
Clarke - another fast pressure forward, but one who can kick straight. We're obviously trying to rebuild that area of the team. Or more correctly keep building it.

Infamy

🐯🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Oct 1, 2004
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
Richmond
I really have high hopes that Cotchin will show he's not nearly done, if he can become a ball winner again without the captaincy burden (he went grey after becoming captain), he might really prolong his career a bit.
I agree, he actually had a pretty strong finish to 2021, with less responsibility and a longer preseason, I'm hoping he'll show us he can play on 1 more year and make it to 300 games. He deserves it.

Funny, I agree on Gibcus.
Brown, not really Vlas. More liek a taller Bachar is my hope.
Sonie - steal of the draft. Cotchin Edwards mixture.
Banks - love this pick. Captain leader, inside outside mid, great reader of the game, elite kick. fast as f
Clarke - another fast pressure forward, but one who can kick straight. We're obviously trying to rebuild that area of the team. Or more correctly keep building it.

Is he super fast?

Would be good if one of these half backs could become an explosive mid with elite kicking.

59Stanley

Club Legend
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Gibcus will be a backline god.
Brown will surprise with his lateral movement and ball use
Sonsie is a bust he won’t do the hard work required
Banks will be silky, quick and highly skilled. Still a couple of years away.
Clarke will be a decent mid. Remember all juniors footy was midfield only played forward in the the TAC. Very good junior mid

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Clarke will be a decent mid. Remember all juniors footy was midfield only played forward in the the TAC. Very good junior mid

wow gone early with zero evidence

His leg is in the air and he's at an angle so him bum stands out. But he doesn't look to have definition in his legs. Can't really tell from that shot.

But WTF is going on with his teeth. Looks like tatts o_O. Maybe a guard.

If what you say is true let’s reflect on the public slap down he copped from Burge. That’s a terrible start to the season given his history.

59Stanley

Club Legend
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
wow gone early with zero evidence
It’s the vibe boxxie 😆 gee that Gibcus is going to be an out and out star I believe. Matt Clarke very happy with the Sonsie pick. Me I’m not so sure I reckon he may not put his head down and work.
I do wonder if this is the guy we had banked on being the elite talent for that pick. Whilst he was on the talent radar he kind of slipped way back in the order and we swooped. Tiger fan tanks his last year of TAC to get picked up by us ????

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
What sorta midfield possession numbers did Clarke average as a junior? I hope it's a high number.

I'm just really sick of us not drafting pure, pure mids, they always have some caveat like too small or being a hybrid forward/back flanker or pocket. Example being Lennon over Cripps.

This isn't a conversation about what it has/will cost us in general, given regardless we've been amazingly successful in the past few years, but I still don't get why we have so many hybrids in our team and a lack of pure mids. They even tried to turn Ross (a proven mid from his first game) into a half back and it seems to have wrecked him.

If Clarke is just another hybrid then yeah, unless he is a gun forward he may end up a bust. Even Sonsie appears to be a bit of a hybrid :(

Our amazing defence but sheer midfield numbers and pressure made us special from 2017 to 20, less so in 20 but we got the job done. People will say it was the forward pressure but no, it was also all of the numbers and pressure around the ball in the midfield, something we stopped in 2020 and massively stopped in 2021. I digress. But this is part of why I wanted Hobbs.

Melbourne won in 2021 the same way we won in 17 and 19, awesome defence built off a great midfield with numbers everywhere...

Jungle Noise

Senior List
Feb 22, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond

Regardless of our opinions if 2/5 become A graders, 1 B grade we have struck Gold

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Coach_Required

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool & Boston Celtics
It's gonna be a very long season, bookmark this post :(

Maybe but my guess is it will be longer season for the WA teams more so than the rest of us, especially with this new variant and WA never opening up to the rest of Australia ever again :tearsofjoy:

Is he super fast?

Would be good if one of these half backs could become an explosive mid with elite kicking.

He's fast. Not sure if super fast - Rookie me profile below. All the summaries I read/heard say he is fast, great kick, reads the game well and has great leadership. He played mid until last year. So his inside work supposed to be good, but not much evidence in the last year or so. Don't know if he is Markov fast or just fast.

Sam Banks has been a highly-touted Tasmanian prospect for a number of years now since winning the Most Valuable Player (MVP) Award for the Division 2 carnival at the 2019 AFL Under 16 Championships. Banks was a clear star for the Devils, and whilst the past two years have been tough on the Clarence ball-winner, he is a player who remains capable of being a really damaging asset when given the opportunity. With the right development, Banks is a player who in the future, could defy what is looming as a mid-to-late draft selection.

STRENGTHS:

Kicking
Decision making
Athleticism
Upside
Rebounding

IMPROVEMENTS:

Inside game
Defensive pressure

Banks is one of those players who just catches the eye. He does not need a lot of the ball to really impact a contest, and he is best utilised in a run-and-carry role, be it off a wing or half-back. He can play through the midfield as well, but his inside game is still an area which needs more consistency, and considering his ball use and decision making by foot, Banks is a player teams would rather be on the outside receiving, than wasting those talents burrowing in at ground level anyway. This season has been a bit of a write-off for Banks, who has had some injury issues that saw him play just four NAB League Boys games, and three Tasmanian State League (TSL) games for Clarence.

Banks' last game came on August 14, when he ran out for Clarence and helped the Roos upset Launceston. His full range of pinpoint kicking was on display, hitting targets over various distances. His consistency within games is still a question mark at times, with his involvement from quarter to quarter wavering, though when he is on, he is incredibly damaging and even if not opting to kick, he can open up the game with his line-breaking run, to give-and-go off half-back or in the middle to create scores in transition. Banks has that licence to hit the inboard pass, and his highlights package would be as impressive as any other player.

The areas to round out his game aside from the contested work inside include his defensive pressure, with Banks that receiver who, while he still can attack the contest, is ready to go and utilise that run and carry. Both these areas of improvement come with adding size to his frame, standing at just 73kg (season start). He is a good size at 187cm, and will be a player who can settle into half-back and drive his side forward, with Banks also being a capable marker. That is more his smarts to find space and burn off opponents in transition, but he is the player that teammates like getting the ball in the hands of. If he can get some continuity and is able to build on those knocks on his game, Banks is one who will be one to watch in the future.

DRAFT RANGE: 30-60

SUMMARY:

Sam Banks is the top Tasmanian prospect on offer, and at times opinions vary on where he might land. His strengths - decision making, kicking and athleticism - make him such a damaging prospect with ball-in-hand. Though his question marks - inside game and defensive pressure, amplified by a skinnier frame - are what have him lower down in the AFL Draft pecking order. He has shown enough of the journey to earn a higher draft spot than perhaps where he ends up, and could be a bargain pick for a club willing to iron out his areas of improvement and utilise his strengths.

59Stanley

Club Legend
May 14, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
What sorta midfield possession numbers did Clarke average as a junior? I hope it's a high number.

If Clarke is just another hybrid then yeah, unless he is a gun forward he may end up a bust. Even Sonsie appears to be a bit of a hybrid :(
Don’t know the numbers RJ except a good friend watched him most games and informs me that he was a mid and a jet was his phrase. Says Clarke has heaps of tricks and takes the Mickey out of the comp in a good way. Only played forward in TAC otherwise all the way midfielder. My friend could not praise Clarke enough for his talent and the way he used his talents.

Back