Training Pre Season 21/22

boxxie2022

Cancelled
Nov 28, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
New look lineup for backline being spruked by the club including Gibcus early in the season!

I freaking told you he would play and play early. Balta fwd.

Shame on you and yes, you know who you are.

That was Vlaustin observation. Cool the jets

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Biggie could surprise a few this year.
Imagine if all our talls showed improvement this year.
The worry of post Rance/Astbury/Jack/Grimes and a lesser extent Lynch would make the job of targeting a FA or draftee much easier.
Think we did well enough to take a KP in last years draft amongst a midfielders draft whereas this year is KP strong so we take the best available mid which in other drafts that Mid might have been snapped up.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Imagine if all our talls showed improvement this year.
The worry of post Rance/Astbury/Jack/Grimes and a lesser extent Lynch would make the job of targeting a FA or draftee much easier.
Think we did well enough to take a KP in last years draft amongst a midfielders draft whereas this year is KP strong so we take the best available mid which in other drafts that Mid might have been snapped up.
It would be unusual if they didn't. All are young and athletic, a good starting point. Would not surprise if Biggy became a forward either, tall fast and looks pretty comfortable in the air. He was recruited as a forward ruck.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
I love Ray Simpson!
Clint Eastwood GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Tarrant, Grimes and Miller as the 3 KPDs isn't as good as Tarrant, Balta and Grimes.

Defence wins premierships.
I don’t see the heir apparent at this stage to JR (who is 33) or Lynch (injury issues).

Agreed re defence being important but you still need to kick a winning score. Fwiw think Balta would be a star up forward.

Big watch this year on the development of Biggy, Miller and to a lesser extent Gibcus. Re the first 2 im hoping rather than expecting one will take the next step.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I don’t see the heir apparent at this stage to JR (who is 33) or Lynch (injury issues).

Agreed re defence being important but you still need to kick a winning score. Fwiw think Balta would be a star up forward.

Big watch this year on the development of Biggy, Miller and to a lesser extent Gibcus. Re the first 2 im hoping rather than expecting one will take the next step.
Definitely agree with the top statement. I felt we needed to draft/trade for one at the end of last season, now we almost certainly do at the end of 2022 season.

There's a huge chance this could be Riewoldt's final year, and Lynch not only injury issues, but he's 30 at the end of the season, so he's still got years, but it's not like he's a decade long chess piece.

Think in some way shape or form a KPF will be a big part of our off season trade, FA or draft plans.

I get the excitement of Balta as a forward, but I just think he is more suited and is on the verge of AA as a KPD in the next year or two.

The only way that could change is if one of Lynch/Riewoldt gets injured, or if Biggy or Miller really come on in 2022. Gibcus realistically is a slightly longer term option.

A forward line of Lynch, Riewoldt, Martin on the roaming HFF role, and then rotational smalls of Stack, Bolton, Edwards, Rioli Jr, Clarke and unfortunately Castagna is still good enough to kick a score, Sonsie might also be a smokey to play some games as a small forward if he's not midfield ready. We also need mids to keep hitting the scoreboard like Lambert and Graham who are always capable of popping up with a few, as will Bolton and Martin when playing there.

And of course we need the next wave to bring on a goal kicking mid, hopefully RCD could add that string to his bow.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The great Caesar says they are off to Bright this week for the training camp.

But some not so good news with some key mids, Lambert, Graham and Prestia potential minor injuries/setbacks as have missed some sessions or been in rehab.

Prestia in particular is a worry, he is almost a lock to miss chunks of games in 2022 as he always does, we really need to transition to a point where we are not so reliant on him at the coal face.

Chunky09

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
The great Caesar says they are off to Bright this week for the training camp.

But some not so good news with some key mids, Lambert, Graham and Prestia potential minor injuries/setbacks as have missed some sessions or been in rehab.

Prestia in particular is a worry, he is almost a lock to miss chunks of games in 2022 as he always does, we really need to transition to a point where we are not so reliant on him at the coal face.
Jeez that’s disappointing, All 3 are so important to us in different ways, we really need RCD and one of the other kids to step the F up this season.
Unfortunately Prestia just can’t get a good run at it, and lambert is becoming injury prone too.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
From memory I think Lambert had some issues with bone spurs on the hip ( from s poster on this site that knows him). It’s going to be a balancing act to get him, Prestia, Cotch, Shedda through the year. You need these guys on the field to finish top 4 but realistically you’d be happy to get 75% of the H&A season out of them.

Fingers crossed we can nurse these guys through the season and finish top 4. End up with a scenario similar to 2020, 2019 with the older players hitting their straps around r19

Back