Training Pre Season 21/22

Remove this Banner Ad

fu** you must of been a handy footballer. Or are you still playing?
Broad - 3 premierships
Eddie - 0
Lord of the wings - ?
Never mind broady has had 1G kicked on him in 3 GF thx to a dodgy free kick to danger conceded by cotch . Yea but he’s easily out muscled ,,,, lol mods shift to comedy thread ,,,, pppplease

Never mind broady has had 1G kicked on him in 3 GF thx to a dodgy free kick to danger conceded by cotch . Yea but he’s easily out muscled ,,,, lol mods shift to comedy thread ,,,, pppplease
He usually runs at 80% or better DE as well, but, apparently he can't kick.

Nah I like this. Noah is the JR replacement and lets Lynch lead up or bear-in-the-square it, which is where he's best suited imo. Opens up a spot for Miller and Nyuon to prove themselves on their last contract(s) before either long-term ones or delisting. Tarrant can hold a spot for 2-3 seasons before Gibcus is ready.

In two years, Miller is our full back and grimes chb, vlas and broad very likely around, gibcus as the great interceptor. Brown, mansell, short and rioli hanging around. maybe biggie comes on. imo, defence is sorted

issue is we need two or likely three of baker, dow, rcd, ross, martyn, sonsie, banks to become really really good mid options in the next 18 months. cotchin and edwards clearly on the decline, prestia's body is ****ed and martin's longevity just took a small hit (not saying this is an issue, but a timely reminder that he is at least a little bit human).

small forward depth important but clarke, stack, shai is encouraging.

Nah I like this. Noah is the JR replacement and lets Lynch lead up or bear-in-the-square it, which is where he's best suited imo. Opens up a spot for Miller and Nyuon to prove themselves on their last contract(s) before either long-term ones or delisting. Tarrant can hold a spot for 2-3 seasons before Gibcus is ready.

In two years, Miller is our full back and grimes chb, vlas and broad very likely around, gibcus as the great interceptor. Brown, mansell, short and rioli hanging around. maybe biggie comes on. imo, defence is sorted

issue is we need two or likely three of baker, dow, rcd, ross, martyn, sonsie, banks to become really really good mid options in the next 18 months. cotchin and edwards clearly on the decline, prestia's body is f’ed and martin's longevity just took a small hit (not saying this is an issue, but a timely reminder that he is at least a little bit human).

Bear in the square... Mmmm.. never heard of it... Perhaps needed single quotation marks to show an infrequent usage perhaps???

Something like.. kick it to me! Kick it to me!!!!!!!

bear-dance.gif

issue is we need two or likely three of baker, dow, rcd, ross, martyn, sonsie, banks to become really really good mid options in the next 18 months. cotchin and edwards clearly on the decline, prestia's body is f’ed and martin's longevity just took a small hit (not saying this is an issue, but a timely reminder that he is at least a little bit human).

really don't get this theory. Balta is clearly a possible AA full back. I don't see any real world where he possibly becomes an coleman medalist or AA KPF . So why play an elite player out of position just for the possible pay off that he might be quite competent in another role?

The sensible thing is to keep him down back as much as possible, using him sparingly as a swingman utility mid-games for a mismatch. He has no real history of being capable of kicking 5+ goals a game. Based on our list i think we are going to be better to try and copy a 2017 style forwardline if the s**t hits the fan. I personally don't think that style works very well in 2022, but i still think its a better option than playing a possible AA FB out of position

really don't get this theory. Balta is clearly a possible AA full back. I don't see any real world where he possibly becomes an coleman medalist or AA KPF . So why play an elite player out of position just for the possible pay off that he might be quite competent in another role?

The sensible thing is to keep him down back as much as possible, using him sparingly as a swingman utility mid-games for a mismatch. He has no real history of being capable of kicking 5+ goals a game. Based on our list i think we are going to be better to try and copy a 2017 style forwardline if the sh*t hits the fan. I personally don't think that style works very well in 2022, but i still think its a better option than playing a possible AA FB out of position
Defensive units win premierships only providing individual forwards kick winning scores to seal the deal.

We gotta play Balta forward. We need his weapons and attributes in the fwd half of the ground.

This is not a time to be cautious and die wondering what could have been. We have too many retirements coming.

Balta fwd is the answer.

Last edited:
Defensive units win premierships only providing individual forwards kick winning scores to seal the deal.

We gotta play Balta forward. We need his weapons and attributes in the fwd half of the ground.

This is not a time to be cautious and die wondering what could have been. We have too many retirements coming.

Balta fwd is the answer.

If you think Balta is a Premiership quality full forward then i think you are going to be very disappointed. Zero intel to base this on, he has shown he can be a competent tall forward, at best. People really underestimate the skillset of elite power forward - it takes more than being able to jump, mark and kick. Can';t really recall Balta being good on the lead, or even a great one on one mark. The greatest full forwards are not the ones that can take a big leaping mark, its the ones that can lead hard and be a beast in a one on one contest & are willing to be the alpha/hero/villian on any given Sunday. For example, Tom Lynchs best footy was when he was being a mean prick & allowing himself to be the center of the games narrative. I don't think Tom liked playing that role much, but he clearly has it in him to be it as that was exactly how he played in 2020 for excellent results.

Balta is no alpha - there is nothing about his personality which makes me think he is an "alpha" that will frothing at the mouth to take the game and contest by the scruff of the neck. Dusty has more of the skillset and alpha mentality to being an elite full forward than Noah. Its not a stab at Noah at all - his style, personality and skillset is PERFECT for an elite back - but not an elite forward. So why move him to be something lesser? If the club needed another key forward, then we should have targeted one instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Noah is a worthwhile option as a back up for a month, ala Chol - but thats it

Things like this really annoy me tbh. We have been gifted a possible elite full back for the next decade - why not just be happy with that and build around that? We have literally already won 1 flag with him there, & he looks to be the closest Alex Rance clone in the league & we all know how valuable Alex was to our success. So why on earth try to make him something lesser than he clearly is?

If you think Balta is a Premiership quality full forward then i think you are going to be very disappointed. Zero intel to base this on, he has shown he can be a competent tall forward, at best. People really underestimate the skillset of elite power forward - it takes more than being able to jump, mark and kick. Can';t really recall Balta being good on the lead, or even a great one on one mark. The greatest full forwards are not the ones that can take a big leaping mark, its the ones that can lead hard and be a beast in a one on one contest & are willing to be the alpha/hero/villian on any given Sunday. For example, Tom Lynchs best footy was when he was being a mean prick & allowing himself to be the center of the games narrative. I don't think Tom liked playing that role much, but he clearly has it in him to be it as that was exactly how he played in 2020 for excellent results.

Balta is no alpha - there is nothing about his personality which makes me think he is an "alpha" that will frothing at the mouth to take the game and contest by the scruff of the neck. Dusty has more of the skillset and alpha mentality to being an elite full forward than Noah. Its not a stab at Noah at all - his style, personality and skillset is PERFECT for an elite back - but not an elite forward. So why move him to be something lesser? If the club needed another key forward, then we should have targeted one instead of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Noah is a worthwhile option as a back up for a month, ala Chol - but thats it

Things like this really annoy me tbh. We have been gifted a possible elite full back for the next decade - why not just be happy with that and build around that? We have literally already won 1 flag with him there, & he looks to be the closest Alex Rance clone in the league & we all know how valuable Alex was to our success. So why on earth try to make him something lesser than he clearly is?
We won 2 flags without Rance.
We also won the same flags with 2 key fwds.

You sir, are going to have a mutiny on your hands if you keep going on along these lines.

He plays fwd end of story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, that one goal Hawkins got for the night nearly cost us the premiership :rolleyes: Did he even take a mark in the first quarter?

We moved Balta because Stanley was causing us headaches in the ruck. It’s mentioned on one of the docos. That’s when scott wet his pants with the astbury Hawkins match up the silly sausage thinking it was advantage them

You sir, are going to have a mutiny on your hands if you keep going on along these lines.

He plays fwd end of story.

Except he wont, thankfully the coaches don't fall in love with fantasy football pet wet dreams

We are going into this season with Jack and Tom being our #1 & 2 KPF. No one can argue that. Why you then want to make our #1 KPD our first backup KPF is a pretty wild daydream . I see no sense in that. What type of weird team management idea is it to go into the season moving your #1 tall defender to the far less important role of "back up" tall forward? Maybe if both Jack and Tom go down we might play Noah down there - but that is because we literally have no other options. He is not "our first" choice - he is quite literally "our last case" scenario.
If Noah is playing full forward, we know the s**t has hit the fan. It's not a "winning" move at all

Last edited:
From memory I think Lambert had some issues with bone spurs on the hip ( from s poster on this site that knows him). It’s going to be a balancing act to get him, Prestia, Cotch, Shedda through the year. You need these guys on the field to finish top 4 but realistically you’d be happy to get 75% of the H&A season out of them.

Fingers crossed we can nurse these guys through the season and finish top 4. End up with a scenario similar to 2020, 2019 with the older players hitting their straps around r19
Given their recent injury history we should even consider planning to nurse them to the Finals with Ross/RCD etc getting games while they are resting, all going well those 2 force their own way in. The injuries are a bit of a concern given it's the same guys each yr & they are all so important to the side, we can't afford to have too many of them missing games at once.

The sensible thing is to keep him down back as much as possible, using him sparingly as a swingman utility mid-games for a mismatch. He has no real history of being capable of kicking 5+ goals a game. Based on our list i think we are going to be better to try and copy a 2017 style forwardline if the sh*t hits the fan. I personally don't think that style works very well in 2022, but i still think its a better option than playing a possible AA FB out of position
I don't see the 2017 one-KPF working with anyone other than Jack Riewoldt.
And I hate to say it, but I don't think 2022/23 Riewoldt could do it if Lynch went down.
Unless Samson develops quicker than expected, I'm guessing one of Miller or Balta may need to swing forward at times this year.

My grandma could have those stats as a defender in the 3 GFs. The ball didn’t go into our backline for 9 of thr 12 qtrs. Try looking at his total games. He is very average.

This from Baltas debut year

Zero intel? You do understand that he has and is training as a forward currently?

Last edited:
We need backup for JR and Tom. We have Tarrant to hold 1 KPD spot, and Miller can do another (to what extent we don't know yet) - plus we have grimes and Broad to hold taller forwards as well.

It seems pretty much obvious that we would want coverage for the older KPFs, and Balta is the obvious choice.

Not sure why there is so much heat on this. It's just a blindingly obvious thing to do right now.

And we desperately need another young quality KPF. This year's draft is supposed to be strong in them, so here's hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back