Pre Season and Rookie draft thread!

Frank Gallagher

Diamond Encrusted Unobtainium Premium Member
Aug 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe or the fact he was picked in the AA under 18 team you know the best 22
Was just a question mate, I don't follow the u18s now days, but will say making the AA team doesn't mean you'll be rated highly by AFL scouts.

Kid seems to be the opposite of his brother who's a 191cm utility, and is considered an elite kick.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Was just a question mate, I don't follow the u18s now days, but will say making the AA team doesn't mean you'll be rated highly by AFL scouts.

Kid seems to be the opposite of his brother who's a 191cm utility, and is considered an elite kick.

His family has knee issues including his other brother, so you may have wasted a top 10 pick on Matt

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Academy kids are pretty much tied to their academy club in the Rookie draft, unless their academy club does not want them. There is no bidding for them from rival clubs.

I'm sure plenty of clubs would be interested in Sproule, but can't see GWS letting him go.

His family has knee issues including his other brother, so you may have wasted a top 10 pick on Matt
Matt will be fine. With proper rehab to strengthen the relevant muscles and the tendon graft being stronger than a natural ACL, he shouldn't have any more issues. He's super diligent, probably the most professional player on our list after Pendles. He's put in the hours, legs are huge now, confident that his knee problems are behind him. Any club that drafts Jonty though, would be wise to put him on a strengthening program to stabilise his knees as prevention.

Academy kids are pretty much tied to their academy club in the Rookie draft, unless their academy club does not want them. There is no bidding for them from rival clubs.

I'm sure plenty of clubs would be interested in Sproule, but can't see GWS letting him go.
Do academy clubs still get first dibs on players they've already overlooked in the ND?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Do academy clubs still get first dibs on players they've already overlooked in the ND?
yes, not sure if they had to nominate them for the ND though to take them as rookies. may be why the academy teams nominated some players that looked like they had no chance of going in the ND.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Not just first dibs, but priority access.

Say GWS have 3 Rookie picks. They can nominate Sproule and say they wish to draft him with their 3rd rookie pick, and draft other players with their first two rookie picks.

It wasn't just GWS who passed on Sproule in the ND, it was every club.

finn

All Australian
May 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
norwood, adelaide uni
Yes I think so. He's a decent size, excellent tackler and clearance winner, played very well in the SANFL reserves and a bit of seniors. He's not perfect but he's got enough to have made a name for himself without his brother. I wonder if his brother has actually hurt his chances given the number of serious injuries he's had. You'd want to check Jonty pretty carefully to see if his knees or feet have any signs of the same predisposition to injury as Matt's.
Certainly his family think that Jonty is the better footballer out of matt and him.

Back