Pre Season and Rookie draft thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Silvagni to Carlton. Got to be cover for Rowe and don't want to expose the young KPD's to the gorilla's.

Lol, if Silvagni isn't picking up GWS players his plan B is to pick a player that he thinks he is related to.. what an embarrassing muppet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, if Silvagni isn't picking up GWS players his plan B is to pick a player that he thinks he is related to.. what an embarrassing muppet!

Just following in gws lead in picking up freo rejects

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He cost us a rookie spot.
I'd be more worried about Chris Mayne's 4 year deal at Collingwood, or recruiting Lynden Dunn.

SOS as a recruiter is still unproven as he burnt a stack of high picks at GWS and didn't show any ability to get later picks correct, albeit GWS didn't have many later picks!

The jury is out until this rebuild at Carlton is tested but it sure has foundations of a lot of GWS cast offs.

SOS as a recruiter is still unproven as he burnt a stack of high picks at GWS and didn't show any ability to get later picks correct, albeit GWS didn't have many later picks!

SOS's job was list manager, not recruiter. He's always making the big picture point in regards to list building, rather than individual trades or draft selections. I'd say the list he built at GWS is one of the most balanced in the league, with depth in almost all positions. He did a fantastic job there, which many are at pains to underplay for whatever reason.

Since he's been at Carlton, he has shown he's prepared to think outside the box, like drafting Cam Polson, and we won't see whether or not it pays off for years to come. But some of what gets written about him on this forum borders on petty mindlessness.

Yeah pick 23 in the rookie draft is such a pivotal selection to a clubs future.

Why didn't you comment on him picking up Kim LeBois, he was a decent pick for #5 in the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we get rid of the Pre-Season Draft now? Don't really see the point of it anymore.

But how else were Essendon going to threaten Jaegar O'Meara ending up with them?

From the AFL, they see it as a leverage or bargaining chip for clubs that performed poorer throughout the year, so they won't scrap it.

No bias but Brett Eddy would probably be the most ready made player picked in this rookie draft.

If he doesn't somehow (not sure of Port's list situation, and whether it would be possible under the rules) get elevated to the senior list immediately, it will really look like Port just picked him to strengthen their SANFL side (especially now that John Butcher is gone), and in turn weaken another SANFL club (as the Crows did by picking Jono Beech from West Adelaide last year).

If he doesn't somehow (not sure of Port's list situation, and whether it would be possible under the rules) get elevated to the senior list immediately, it will really look like Port just picked him to strengthen their SANFL side (especially now that John Butcher is gone), and in turn weaken another SANFL club (as the Crows did by picking Jono Beech from West Adelaide last year).

Whether it's rookie or senior list, I don't care. I want him playing for us in the AFL come round 1 alongside Dixon. I doubt we'd be drafting a goal machine like Eddy to strengthen the Maggies considering we need someone like him playing for us in the seniors straight away.

Eddy kicking goals for the Power is also good for Todd Marshall, as he'll get more time to develop his body in the SANFL so he's the next Tredrea and not the next Hoff.

But how else were Essendon going to threaten Jaegar O'Meara ending up with them?

From the AFL, they see it as a leverage or bargaining chip for clubs that performed poorer throughout the year, so they won't scrap it.

I'm still yet to see that "threat" ever come close to being a realistic factor, though. It wasn't ever really in play in the O'Meara situation, even.

Just don't really see the point of it. I feel like the National Draft and Rookie Draft cover all purposes as it is, even with the half-arsed, illogical contract/trading/free agency rules (eg. a player is still a tradeable asset and beholden to a club when he is out of contract).

The jury is out until this rebuild at Carlton is tested but it sure has foundations of a lot of GWS cast offs.

So if GWS win a flag that means nothing? seriously just compare gws to the suns and see what happens.

If your claiming he burnt a lot of high picks you must also acknowledge that he got the majority of them correct. Developed the current GWS strategy of turning players who had limited opportunity into picks.

Yeah his form at the back end of the season was solid and he provides immediate depth. Is no star but can hold his own when he's not injured..

by the sound of it he is a solid citizen who for us will be able to provide leadership/mentoring to our younger KPD primarily at reserve level. In a sence he replace Jamison who from memory had another year on his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back