Pre Season and Rookie draft thread!

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't understand the SOS hate; him and his team are really turning things around at Carlton, especially compared to the previous regime responsible for Boekhorst etc.

Hate and Jealousy are a very fine line especially on here.

Opposition supporters want to see clubs they do not like fail in every aspect of the game and Drafting/Trading are no different as Internet egos are self stroked when the masses of haters come together like sheep to heap the hate on a common enemy.

Clear Big Footy logic 101!

Opposition supporters want to see clubs they do not like fail in every aspect of the game and Drafting/Trading are no different as Internet egos are self stroked when the masses of haters come together like sheep to heap the hate on a common enemy.

Have to agree sadly..

I'm still yet to see that "threat" ever come close to being a realistic factor, though. It wasn't ever really in play in the O'Meara situation, even.

Just don't really see the point of it. I feel like the National Draft and Rookie Draft cover all purposes as it is, even with the half-arsed, illogical contract/trading/free agency rules (eg. a player is still a tradeable asset and beholden to a club when he is out of contract).

Don't get me wrong, it's largely redundant with Free Agency around

Yep, very evident over the last 3-4 years.

If he doesn't somehow (not sure of Port's list situation, and whether it would be possible under the rules) get elevated to the senior list immediately, it will really look like Port just picked him to strengthen their SANFL side (especially now that John Butcher is gone), and in turn weaken another SANFL club (as the Crows did by picking Jono Beech from West Adelaide last year).

Yeah, nah.

I know the SANFL is a petty place, but a professional AFL side would never bother to waste their time and resources on something like that. With the retirement of Schulz, there is a bit of uncertainty regarding how our forward set up looks next year. Dixon and Westhoff will be the incumbents up there, but with our injury list/management over the past couple of seasons I think it is a necessity to having another option somewhere on the list, even if not immediately available for selection.

Still can't work out why WC drafted Petrie. He had a great career but did the WC recruiters watch him particularly at the end of the season.
Completely agree. He's cooked. Bordering on non-competitive at times.
Not due to a lack of heart, will, care or effort, that will never be in question with Drew. He's a true professional by all accounts. Unfortunately for him, and now WCE, the body just can't keep up any longer. The evolution of the game in recent seasons hasn't helped him either. Doesn't exactly play to his strengths...

If he doesn't somehow (not sure of Port's list situation, and whether it would be possible under the rules) get elevated to the senior list immediately, it will really look like Port just picked him to strengthen their SANFL side (especially now that John Butcher is gone), and in turn weaken another SANFL club (as the Crows did by picking Jono Beech from West Adelaide last year).

we have gone in short on the main list again. so can use rookies any time as we plz

I have no problems admit I wish nothing but the worst for the Pies in every facet of football!!! And it has nothing to do with the internet or some mass mob theory. Ive felt this way long before social media became a thing. And I expect nothing less from pies supporters in return. Its called rivalry!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your free kick hawthorn melts are a classic example of this.

That is true though and half the Aussie population that follow this game agree except every Hawks supporter for some reason.... :rolleyes:

#freekickhawthorn is mentioned everywhere on social media and has been for ages now so do not just single me out cause the Umps love you blokes.

Ever heard of confirmation bias? Because you hate us (like most do) any advantage we may get real or not gets a lot of focus. But the doggies finish with 100+ in the free kick differential and basically were awarded free kicks at a 2-1 ratio in the finals series and no one says anything because everyone loves them.

Where do you get the " I hate Hawks " from???

I have never said this but the chip on your shoulder just assumes it to be true.

I love successful teams and the Hawks have been the greatest of the last 2 decades arguably but i like a lot of others can see clear bias from umpires and they love you guys while being to scared to pay the 50/50 against you blokes and the superstar so to speak calls happen in every sporting code around the globe which all the champion teams are a beneficiary of.

It is also not the ones they do pay but more often than not the ones they do not that never show up on any stat sheet, therefore free kick counts means SFA at the end of the day, while 4 frees in the backline mean squat when you get a cheapie in the F50m resulting in a goal that swings the game etc but hey the opposition got more than us...... :rolleyes:

Still can't work out why WC drafted Petrie. He had a great career but did the WC recruiters watch him particularly at the end of the season.

Told he plays for one year as back up then goes straight into a assistant coaching role at wce.
Hopefully plays the whole season at east perth.

Completely agree. He's cooked. Bordering on non-competitive at times.
Not due to a lack of heart, will, care or effort, that will never be in question with Drew. He's a true professional by all accounts. Unfortunately for him, and now WCE, the body just can't keep up any longer. The evolution of the game in recent seasons hasn't helped him either. Doesn't exactly play to his strengths...
He'll be right. Hard home ground and regular long flights will freshen him up.

SOS's job was list manager, not recruiter. He's always making the big picture point in regards to list building, rather than individual trades or draft selections. I'd say the list he built at GWS is one of the most balanced in the league, with depth in almost all positions. He did a fantastic job there, which many are at pains to underplay for whatever reason.

Since he's been at Carlton, he has shown he's prepared to think outside the box, like drafting Cam Polson, and we won't see whether or not it pays off for years to come. But some of what gets written about him on this forum borders on petty mindlessness.
It's hard to stuff up that list with that many concessions

It's hard to stuff up that list with that many concessions

Scott Clayton has shown this is a fallacy. A cop out bought into by the unconsciously unskilled who sit on the sidelines pretending it's all so easy.

What we have from SOS, is that he did an outstanding job building GWS their list. People who say otherwise are kidding themselves.

Scott Clayton has shown this is a fallacy. A cop out bought into by the unconsciously unskilled who sit on the sidelines pretending it's all so easy.

What we have from SOS, is that he did an outstanding job building GWS their list. People who say otherwise are kidding themselves.
Your the one kidding yourself. GWS have had that many free hits at first round talent and academy kids since they entered the afl that it's dead set impossible for them to **** up their list management. This is a fact.

Do you even realise how vastly different the concessions that GWS got were?

That is true though and half the Aussie population that follow this game agree except every Hawks supporter for some reason.... :rolleyes:

#freekickhawthorn is mentioned everywhere on social media and has been for ages now so do not just single me out cause the Umps love you blokes.
Sheep mentality :cool:

Your the one kidding yourself. GWS have had that many free hits at first round talent and academy kids since they entered the afl that it's dead set impossible for them to **** up their list management. This is a fact.

SOS was on a hiding to nothing at GWS. Build a really strong and balanced list with depth in almost every position and the the unconciously unskilled will claim anyone could've done it. Do a Clayton type job; and be regarded a failure anyway. It's a lose-lose proposition. There is only one fact here though and that's that SOS was very successful in his job at GWS. Kidding yourself to suggest otherwise.

Do you even realise how vastly different the concessions that GWS got were?

Different yes, but not nearly as vast as top and bottom end of the ladder, which is where you've both ended up. Not sure why some people have such difficulty accepting SOS did a much better job than his GCS counterpart with what they both had, but it's undeniable that he did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back