Pre-season December draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
Stefan Carey's "retirement" means that Brisbane will have at least one space on their list and possibly up to three if they are allowed to name two players on the "veteran" list.

If Brisbane participate in the pre-season draft, they will probably have pick 10 or 11, allowing for the fact that West Coast, Carlton and Geelong are unlikely to participate. Who should we pick up? In my opinion we should pick up an experienced player...one who would add further depth to our list.

Players like Paul Lynch, Simon Eastaugh, Ryan Pagan, Shane Watson, Ryan O'Connor, Chris Ladhams, Kym Koster, Troy Bond, Illija Grgic, Simon Arnott, Tristan Lynch, Craig Treleven, Matthew Febey, Stephen Tingay, Danny Morton, John Rombotis, Tony Brown, Jason Heatley, Shane Wakelin, Paul Symmons, Matthew Dent, Josh Mahoney, and Mark West are all available.

Some of the players I believe Matthews and co. should look at closely, are in my order of preference..

1. Simon Arnott aged 24, 184 cm tall, played 56 games. Tall midfielder. I was surprised he was delisted at all as he had a strong 1999, finishing fourth in Geelongs B&F and deserved another year, even if 2000 was a little poor. Could also play in the forward line if required.

2. Shane Watson aged 27, 185 cm 141 games. Backman-cum-forward. Could add depth and versatility to the list. Has been, like Martin Pike, linked to Brisbane in media reports and must be the favorite to be Brisbane's first draftee, especially as Arnott is likely to be gone by Pick 10-11.

3. Paul Symmons aged 28, 188 cm, 99 games. Would be a good pick-up for Brisbane as he is a tallish wingman/half-back, that could complement Pike and also add further depth to the list. May be gone by the time of our pick however. Mick Martin also fits into this mold.

4. Tony Brown aged 24, 176 cm tall, played 108 games. Midfielder and onballer. Big problem is he is slow..very slow, but then again so is Adrian Fletcher and so was Greg Williams. If making the choice between Arnott and Brown, I would much prefer Arnott if available. However I wouldn't play Brown anywhere but the centre and that could be a problem with Ashcroft, Hart, Voss, Black, Lappin and co. However Hart is getting on and Brown could be a good back-up for him when he retires.

5. Shane Wakelin, aged 27, 193 cm tall, 94 games. A tall backman who has played a quite a bit at full back. Perhaps could free up Leppitsch to play forward, next year or definitely after Alistair Lynch retires. Could also replace Matthew Kennedy who is nearing retirement.

6. Kym Koster aged 28, 182 cm tall, 133 games. A tallish wingman/midfielder, he could also be a good pickup. Good tagger. Could easily replace someone like Brad Scott, if his injuries remain on-going.

7. Paul Lynch, aged 28, 184 cm, 62 games. I would have him further up my list, if he wasn't so injury-prone. We badly need another forward, to replace Lynch at the end of 2001, although Charman might fit the bill. My feeling is Lynch will be taken by Collingwood with Pick 2 anyway.

If Brisbane are going to take a youngster then why not Chris Hall? A U-18 All Australian representative in 2000, he's 18, 177 cm tall and is a midfielder/rover. Why he wasn't picked up in the draft is a little bit of a surprise.

Salary cap considerations will obviously influence who we pick. I have a hazy understanding of the conditions for the veteran's list, but to me it's interesting that Brisbane have no one on the veteran's list. 10 years' service, over 30 years of age or 100 games for the club is the criteria I believe. If Steve Paxman is on the veteran's list for Port Adelaide, why aren't Alistair Lynch, Shaun Hart and Matthew Kennedy candidates for the brisbane Lions. if they were put on the veteran's list then Brisbane would free up it's salary cap considerably and be able to to aadd two more players to it's list of 38, to bring it's list to 40, just as Carlton have with Silvagni and Bradley.

As indicated on another discussion, if the AFL is going to include Brisbane Bears records as part of the Brisbane Lions records then certainly Kennedy aged 31 (debuted 1990) and Hart aged 30 (debuted 1990) would be VERY close to qualifying. If they don't qualify, because of the merger in 1997, then the AFL should be beginning its Brisbane records in its publications from 1997.

What do other people think on who we should pick up?

Simon Arnott is the only one of the experienced players mentioned I think may be worth getting.

I believe a young player would be much more valuable, as we have a number of experienced players, and plenty of on-field leaders.
With Pike and Michael, we already have experienced recruits, and one more would be too much.

I think a young defender would be the way to go, as I think we may be a bit short on defenders in the future.

I'd pick Mark West on the proviso his shoulder's sound. Hasn't really been able to string any matches together since he starred in the Dogs' ill-fated '97 Prelim. Hard as nails.

Others I'd consider: Tony Brown - if his mind's on the job. Very classy left footed centreman. Great to watch when in form and bursting out of the centre. Paul Symmons, the lanky wingman, was very good for WC a year or two back, wouldn't be too bad an aquisition either. Bickies Arnott's more of a mud lark and wouldn't like the firm going at the Gabba IMO. Shane Wakelin's already been picked up by the Pies, BTW.

And on behalf of Olmy, I'd like to nominate Danny Morton, Johnny Rombotis and Matthew Dent.
wink.gif

Theres no logical reason to get Watson or Symmons. I don't reckon they'd really contibute that much - especially Watson. Where would he fit in? Plus hes not that crash hot a player. Besides, we've already drafted an experienced player (Pike), why get another? I think we should get Kenna - give a young bloke a go who has obviously impressed a lot of people. Hopefully hes impressed the right ones and hes eligible!

Yes, you're quite right Mr Ripper. Shane Wakelin has been picked up by the Pies. Obviously missed that... when I was going through the de-listings and trade pick-ups. He'll be a good pick-up for them.

I think we've got plenty of young blokes at the moment with the likes of Black, Bolton, Brown, Charman, Clarke, Cupido, Hadley, Hammond, Headland, Knobel, McDonald, McGrath, Morrison, Notting, Picken, Power, Rusca and Shattock..just over 50% of our list. I still favor a bit of experience with a player who could give us three to four years service.

Roylion,

You bring up a depressing point. Lynchy will have to retire soon. How on earth do you replace a player of his calibre? It's hard to believe his age when you see him outmarking his opponents week after week & generally causing havoc in the forward line.

Not sure who to pick up really, although I think a tall player, wether young or old is what the Lions list needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back