Pre-Season Friendlies 2019 Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kepa did the same on the previous penalty vs Salah, centimetres only in it.
Yes but he scored it. I was of the understanding that if the keeper is off his line and saves it, then it’s retaken. First opportunity to apply the rule, and it’s forgotten

No doubt it would've been called back to be retaken by the corrupt UEFA officials if Kepa saved.

Nah it wouldn't have. Nearly every pen is like that, the only ones that get called are when the keeper moves forward significantly.

And if the officials were really corrupt they wouldn't have paid a very dubious penalty to you guys in ET. Thought the ref had a pretty good game.

Yes but he scored it. I was of the understanding that if the keeper is off his line and saves it, then it’s retaken. First opportunity to apply the rule, and it’s forgotten

You'd never get a penalty shootout done on that basis. Sure call it back if the keeper moves forward a yard or so.

In any case Chelsea benefitted from a very dubious pen in ET, dont see too many complaints about that for some reason.

You'd never get a penalty shootout done on that basis. Sure call it back if the keeper moves forward a yard or so.

In any case Chelsea benefitted from a very dubious pen in ET, dont see too many complaints about that for some reason.
As a Spurs fan, I don’t really care about who won etc, I just want clarity on when a penalty is retaken or not. To me that is a clear retake. You disadvantage the keepers doing the right thing if you allow it all to go. Where is the line as to how far they can come off the line. Same as offside, it’s either on or off. No grey area.

They missed a great chance to set a precedent today.

It’s not a real trophy

Yep. I wish fixtures like this can be determined on how shattered you would be if you lost the match. I doubt Chelsea supporters are shattered right now.

So with that I would rank the super cup somewhere between “meh” and “why the * do UEFA risk injury by playing this meaningless fixture”. If UEFA insist on the super cup, have it a week after the CL final when at least the transfer window isn’t open and players haven’t been bought and sold and not a few days before important leagues matches.

Yep. I wish fixtures like this can be determined on how shattered you would be if you lost the match. I doubt Chelsea supporters are shattered right now.

So with that I would rank the super cup somewhere between “meh” and “why the fu** do UEFA risk injury by playing this meaningless fixture”. If UEFA insist on the super cup, have it a week after the CL final when at least the transfer window isn’t open and players haven’t been bought and sold and not a few days before important leagues matches.
It’s a contrived concept. The champions of Europe vs the 17th best team in Europe.

What does it really mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So with that I would rank the super cup somewhere between “meh” and “why the fu** do UEFA risk injury by playing this meaningless fixture”. If UEFA insist on the super cup, have it a week after the CL final when at least the transfer window isn’t open and players haven’t been bought and sold and not a few days before important leagues matches.

Have to agree. We won sure but I'm more thinking oh great now we're tired for the PL game which actually matters. Just a dumb time to have it. Move the CL forward and play the Super Cup after that or not at all.

Nah it wouldn't have. Nearly every pen is like that, the only ones that get called are when the keeper moves forward significantly.

And if the officials were really corrupt they wouldn't have paid a very dubious penalty to you guys in ET. Thought the ref had a pretty good game.
I'm only messing around, I don't mind keepers coming off their line a bit really.

But it's weird that it was so enforced in the world cup but not here.

I'm only messing around, I don't mind keepers coming off their line a bit really.

I think they changed the rule specifically in response to the WC.

Can someone refresh my memory... was it a young Lukaku who missed the decisive penalty in a SuperCup Final after returning back from loan? Very similar circumstances with Abraham’s penalty.

Edit: just found it.

Last edited:

It depends on the scale of it. When you are talking about centimetres its not going to be called (linesman calls it not VAR). If a keeper dives forward significantly it'll be pulled back generally. Adrian dived left and saved with his extended leg, the mere centimetres did not make a difference. It would be quite farcical if every single penalty was retaken where the keepers foot is slightly off the line.

Can someone refresh my memory... was it a young Lukaku who missed the decisive penalty in a SuperCup Final after returning back from a loan spell? Abraham’s penalty kick was very similar.

Edit: just found it.

Lukaku looks awfully young for a 1020 year old.

It depends on the scale of it. When you are talking about centimetres its not going to be called (linesman calls it not VAR). If a keeper dives forward significantly it'll be pulled back generally. Adrian dived left and saved with his extended leg, the mere centimetres did not make a difference. It would be quite farcical if every single penalty was retaken where the keepers foot is slightly off the line.
I disagree with this. It’s either on or off. Can’t be degrees of it. Call it a few times and the keepers will quickly keep there foot on the line. It’s a pretty simple decision. Similar to a no ball in cricket.

I disagree with this. It’s either on or off. Can’t be degrees of it. Call it a few times and the keepers will quickly keep there foot on the line. It’s a pretty simple decision. Similar to a no ball in cricket.

Its not the same at all. You wouldn't order a free kick to be retaken if the wall was 15 centimetres closer than the minimum 10 yards required. You would order a retake if the wall broke forward by a few yards and blocked a free kick. It's the same concept and why retakes are only ordered when keepers gain a significant advantage by moving forward and narrowing the angle. It's also the linos call, not VAR.

Yup has to be black and white. Scotland's GK in the women's world cup saved a pen but was millimetres over the line and a retake was called. I don't think it's a bad thing as long as it's consistent.

More positive signs from us and was an entertaining game to watch from both sides. We look so much more solid with Kante bossing the midfield.

Forgot Liverpool have the CWC too now. It's going to be a busy year that could really test them and their depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back