Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Its not the same at all. You wouldn't order a free kick to be retaken if the wall was 15 centimetres closer than the minimum 10 yards required. You would order a retake if the wall broke forward by a few yards and blocked a free kick. It's the same concept and why retakes are only ordered when keepers gain a significant advantage by moving forward and narrowing the angle. It's also the linos call, not VAR.
A wall is a different beast.

This is a penalty with a permanent line and a definitive rule in place. How can you judge the degree of advantage? Where is the threshold?

Are you sure VAR can’t review? This would be the easiest decision VAR would make. If they can review encroachment in the penalty areas, then I would think the goal line would also be included.

I have no doubt VAR will overrule a similar incident in the coming season, which would beg the question why this one wasn’t looked at.

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
Can someone refresh my memory... was it a young Lukaku who missed the decisive penalty in a SuperCup Final after returning back from loan? Very similar circumstances with Abraham’s penalty.

Edit: just found it.

Was so similar.

But i cant see Frank throwing Tammy under the bus like Jose apparently did to Rom. Tough start for the kid copping Maguire and VVD in his first too games.

Mount, Tammy and Tomori didnt look out of place at this level. Cant wait for James and CHO to get their cracks in the next couple of games. I think our youf will surprise a few with how good they really are.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Was so similar.

But i cant see Frank throwing Tammy under the bus like Jose apparently did to Rom. Tough start for the kid copping Maguire and VVD in his first too games.

Mount, Tammy and Tomori didnt look out of place at this level. Cant wait for James and CHO to get their cracks in the next couple of games. I think our youf will surprise a few with how good they really are.

Rom was shipped out on loan after that and never returned didnt he? Thought he was harshly dealt with by Mou.

Tammy is a beast, one of a select few who took the battle physically to Van Dijk. He's gonna be quality and dont think missing a pen in the super cup is going to affect him too much.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Rom was shipped out on loan after that and never returned didnt he? Thought he was harshly dealt with by Mou.

Tammy is a beast, one of a select few who took the battle physically to Van Dijk. He's gonna be quality and dont think missing a pen in the super cup is going to affect him too much.
His finishing is so-so though. He won't get as many chances as he did last year in the Championship and it's his ability to take the ones he's given that is questioned.

His finishing is so-so though. He won't get as many chances as he did last year in the Championship and it's his ability to take the ones he's given that is questioned.
Last season was a goal every 4.46 or so shots (0.22g/shot). Which doesn't seem too bad.

For comparison:
Salah: 6.05 shots/goal (0.16g/shot)
Aubameyang: 3.55 shots/goal (0.28g/shot)
Mane: 3.82 shots/goal (0.26g/shot)

So his conversion isn't that bad. I'm not expecting him to score 26 goals like he did in the Championship, I think it'd be crazy to expect that.
But 10-15 would be a decent season.

Apr 8, 2007
Dublin
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SJ Sharks/Everton/NY Jets
Last season was a goal every 4.46 or so shots (0.22g/shot). Which doesn't seem too bad.

For comparison:
Salah: 6.05 shots/goal (0.16g/shot)
Aubameyang: 3.55 shots/goal (0.28g/shot)
Mane: 3.82 shots/goal (0.26g/shot)

So his conversion isn't that bad. I'm not expecting him to score 26 goals like he did in the Championship, I think it'd be crazy to expect that.
But 10-15 would be a decent season.
Yes but it's the championship. I mean Dwight Gayle has an outstanding Championship record..

Oct 5, 2007
Yorta Yorta country
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
BlueCo
I've been impressed by Tammy, hasn't been overawed by the occasion so far.

Bit worried hes missed a couple of chances he should be nailing, but hopefully they come which should be great for his confidence.

Hes only 21 and being thrust into the number 9 role at a big club so a bit of patience is needed.

Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It’s not a real trophy

Yes it is. It’s an official match recognised by FIFA and UEFA with a trophy at the end of it. In terms of importance it’s not a big one and if we’d have lost it wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it’s still a real trophy and is nice to win.

Unlike the community shield which is actually a friendly, and not recognised as an official game (hence you can make a whole heap of substitutions in those games) .

WealstoneRaider

Cancelled
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Apr 8, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes it is. It’s an official match recognised by FIFA and UEFA with a trophy at the end of it. In terms of importance it’s not a big one and if we’d have lost it wouldn’t be the end of the world, but it’s still a real trophy and is nice to win. No proper trophy is won by winning a one off match

Unlike the community shield which is actually a friendly, and not recognised as an official game (hence you can make a whole heap of substitutions in those games) .
No one really considers it a trophy mate, no matter what fifa or uefa might insist. You don’t get to claim a trophy by winning one match

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
A wall is a different beast.

This is a penalty with a permanent line and a definitive rule in place. How can you judge the degree of advantage? Where is the threshold?

Are you sure VAR can’t review? This would be the easiest decision VAR would make. If they can review encroachment in the penalty areas, then I would think the goal line would also be included.

I have no doubt VAR will overrule a similar incident in the coming season, which would beg the question why this one wasn’t looked at.

A wall is not a different beast. No opposition player can be closer than 9.15m to a dead ball. So should one happen to be 9m away (15cm closer than allowed) you must be advocating a retake of the FK if they block it (it would be easy to calculate distance from a VAR replay). It is a definitive rule.

Coasters7

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 27, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea
Yep. I wish fixtures like this can be determined on how shattered you would be if you lost the match. I doubt Chelsea supporters are shattered right now.

So with that I would rank the super cup somewhere between “meh” and “why the fu** do UEFA risk injury by playing this meaningless fixture”. If UEFA insist on the super cup, have it a week after the CL final when at least the transfer window isn’t open and players haven’t been bought and sold and not a few days before important leagues matches.
Reckon Liverpool fans would have been more devastated had they lost. Any chance to win a “trophy” and be more insufferable to other PL fans. A trophy is a trophy but it’s hardly an achievement knocking off the Europa league winners as champions of Europe, the real achievement was obviously the CL. The Super Cup is just a weird fixture and I’d probably expect Community Shield matches have more competitively matched teams. Surely you’d expect the winners of the Champions League to knock off anyone from the Europa league 9 times out of 10

That being said, it’s still disappointing we couldn’t register a bit of silverware to start Lamps Chelsea career but I’m happy we put up a fight against one of the worlds best sides.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No one really considers it a trophy mate, no matter what fifa or uefa might insist. You don’t get to claim a trophy by winning one match

Whether you consider it a trophy or not is irrelevant. The governing body of football and the teams competing consider it a trophy.

I enjoyed seeing my team lift another trophy, no matter how small or irrelevant it is. Maybe if you hadn’t bottled it in Madrid you would have got to enjoy it instead.

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Looks like a trophy to me :huh:

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
A wall is not a different beast. No opposition player can be closer than 9.15m to a dead ball. So should one happen to be 9m away (15cm closer than allowed) you must be advocating a retake of the FK if they block it (it would be easy to calculate distance from a VAR replay). It is a definitive rule.
Var is not there to judge wall encroachments. So will never be referred or looked at. VAR is there to look at GK encroachment on penalties.

In this case they simply ignored it.

The question is why?

Blueboys11

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham, New York Mets
Don’t think VAR is used in shootouts. It’s up to the referees.
If that’s the case, then fair enough as Refs struggle to flag it

If not, then the question needs to be asked why it was allowed.

As a Spurs fan, I don’t even care about this game, I just want clarity going forward

CazC30

Far from the madding crowd.
Jan 12, 2017
Essex.
AFL Club
West Coast
That would've been Liverpool regardless...
Looking at it.... Yes, I feel Liverpool are a stronger team but their priorities this year are the Championship. I don't thnk anyone here gives a crap about the World Club cup.

Back