Game Day Pre season game 1 vs Collingwood - 1st March 2020 @ Norm Minns Oval, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

I only watched the first half and my strongest impression was that it was the least Richmond like performance by a group in many years. I understand the reasons for this and am not critical, just bemused. There was no forward surge game and mostly we seemed to play like individuals trying to find other individuals. Collingwood looked good and played a bit like the standard model us. I'm still unconvinced about Chol as a key forward but CCJ looks promising as a ruck/forward option. Can't see Dimma losing any sleep over this but it would have been nice to see some more hardness at the contests by a few players looking to break into the side.
Yeah 18 collective tackles by half time says it all. Maybe he wanted to see how we’d play in a more bruise-free style as putting pressure can be fairly taxing if consistently done for the whole season.

I honestly didn’t really think there was anything in it. Adams was a bit stiff if anything.
It is actually a pet peeve of mine, i hate the shepherding of the man on the mark and it should be a reversible free kick for anyone who does it.

It is actually a pet peeve of mine, i hate the shepherding of the man on the mark and it should be a reversible free kick for anyone who does it.
I’m not a huge fan of the shepherding off the mark either, but it shouldn’t be a $5,000 fine. That’s ridiculous!

Cheers. Anyone know what the rule is for shepherding/blocking on the mark? Hawks used to do it a ton and then it got changed I thought. Although it might have been nullified when they played on.

Otherwise unless it got him in the head (which = 1-2 was suspension), not much to it. Similar to Grimes’ hit on De Overated earlier.

Hope Vlas remembers though and gives him one back in Rd 2

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I personally am not the biggest Broad fan on here but I actually thought he looked good on the wing. I was sceptical about the move before the game to be honest but I think he did alright and would like to see him play there again next week.
Not sure if it was last year or the year before but Broad definitely played on the wing in the VFL so the club may see him in that position .
He has the athletic ability and would be a good target from kickins not sure about footy smarts and his disposal for that position though .Worth another try if they're trying too fit Balta in the backline .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers. Anyone know what the rule is for shepherding/blocking on the mark? Hawks used to do it a ton and then it got changed I thought. Although it might have been nullified when they played on.

Otherwise unless it got him in the head (which = 1-2 was suspension), not much to it. Similar to Grimes’ hit on De Overated earlier.

Hope Vlas remembers though and gives him one back in Rd 2

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hawks used to stand right next to the player on the mark, now you have to be behind them by a metre or so.

Not sure if it was last year or the year before but Broad definitely played on the wing in the VFL so the club may see him in that position .
He has the athletic ability and would be a good target from kickins not sure about footy smarts and his disposal for that position though .Worth another try if they're trying too fit Balta in the backline .

On SM-A520F using BigFooty.com mobile app
“Broad marks on the wing<Dusty/Cotch/Prestia/Lambert/Edwards/Stack/Short> peels off half back , handball receive and kick to <Riewoldt/Lynch> on the 50 mtr line”

so Broads footy smarts only have to extend to hand balling off to the midfield runner 😀

Only saw the first half but that was enough to see both sides are well established and look ready for the season

we would be silly to under estimate Collingwood they should be in the race for a top 4 spot

I’d be guessing the only ones outside last years gf side might be stack & Ross to get a run in rnd 1

Dimma played Buckley beautifully yesterday, sent the side out to blowout the cobwebs but didn't really put in play the high pressure move it on at all game style except for the 3rd quarter. When we did that we kept them goalless while dominating in attack. For the other 3 quarters we just ran around getting some miles in the legs and feeling a bit of heat from an opponent rather than against a teammate who takes it a little bit easier in the contest. Next game against the Giants I expect a full game of high intensity footy where we go all out.

The team I'd be taking to that game is:
B: Grimes Astbury Short
HB: Houli Vlastuin Baker
C: Broad Cotchin Caddy
HF: Rioli Castagna Bolton
F: Martin Lynch Riewoldt
R: Soldo Prestia Edwards
INT: Pickett Stack Lambert CCJ Ross Higgins Chol Garthwaite Dow
That is true and for most part prior to all the newbs coming on we had kept them to a very modest total suggesting our fault was in a completely non threatening attack that was kept to an even more modest total , you can disregard the 4-5 they piled on when we gave a handful of vfl boys a run whilst they stacked the CBD with treloar de goey and Adams

Kidding aren’t you , easily best 22 , had 28p Sunday , just extended his contract for 2y that’s where he’s at

Short has got and will get plenty of senior opportunities because the coaching staff rightly value kicking penetration as a key weapon.

I fully realise that the concept of the ball going longer and faster into attack being pure football gold is a difficult one for a puzzling number of people to comprehend, but rest assured the coaching staff get it. Elite kicking is a precious commodity and there's plenty of drafts where there's less available than any other elite skill.

Short is the best kick we've had in a very long time, we know he's elite and the coaching staff have made it pretty clear IMO, that they intend to make full use of it.

I'm 100% onboard with that and backing that he'll be a mainstay of future sides if his body holds up. He might play some VFL to work on some issues now and again over the next couple of years, but his long term future is very secure IMO.

indeed but baker > short and stack is seemingly a backman

again i like short but its basic maths

i can see short starting r1 due to being a premiership legend but interested how long he holds his spot. Hope to be wrong and see him AA - his kicking is for sure a weapon. no one was surprised especially not the pies when he plonked that goal

Last edited:
indeed but baker > short and stack is seemingly a backman

again i like short but its basic maths

i can see short starting r1 due to being a premiership legend but interested how long he holds his spot. Hope to be wrong and see him AA

The fact that he has played 39 games of the last 39 games he has been available for suggests he will be holding his spot, maybe go find a new whipping boy and the fact that you have been questioning his worth to the side suggests that you don't like him and that he is your next whipping boy target after Ellis.

The fact that he has played 39 games of the last 39 games he has been available for suggests he will be holding his spot, maybe go find a new whipping boy and the fact that you have been questioning his worth to the side suggests that you don't like him and that he is your next whipping boy target after Ellis.

I do like Short; he is a handy guy to have on the list

Vlastuin, Astbury, Broad
Houli, Grimes, Stack
Lambert, Cotchin, Edwards
Caddy, Riewoldt, Castagna
Rioli, Lynch, Bolton
Nankervis, Martin, Prestia
Soldo, Graham, Pickett, McIntosh

FB: Grimes Astbury Broad
HB: Vlastuin Balta Houli
C: Bolton Cotchin Caddy
HF: Rioli Riewoldt Edwards