AFL Autopsy Pre-Season Game 2: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Saturday 06/03/2021 @ 7:10 PM AEDT

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Observations

Geelong:

Essendon: The Bombers had a solid hit out against Carlton in their first pre-season match this season. Jye Caldwell stood out in the midfield, having the most centre bounce attendances whilst possible addition Alec Waterman kicked 4 goals in an impressive display from the small forward

Head to Head (last 5)

Geelong 3-2 Essendon

Form Guide (including pre-season)

Geelong:
Essendon: 0-1

Sportsbet odds (unavailable)

Carlton:
Essendon:
Line: .5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Geelong vs Essendon

FB: Jed Bews - Lachlan Henderson - Jake Kolodjashnij
FF: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - Peter Wright - Alec Waterman
HB: Jack Henry - Mark Blicavs - Tom Stewart
HF: Will Snelling - Harrison Jones - Devon Smith
MF: Mitchell Duncan - Charlie Constable - Isaac Smith
MF: Brayden Ham - Jye Caldwell - Kyle Langford
HF: Tom Atkins - Jeremy Cameron - Luke Dahlhaus
HB: Nick Hind - Cale Hooker - Mason Redman
FF: Gryan Miers - Tom Hawkins - Sam Simpson
FB: Jordan Ridley - Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - Martin Gleeson
OB: Rhys Stanley - Sam Menegola - Patrick Dangerfield
OB: Sam Draper - Andrew McGrath - Darcy Parish

IC: Quinton Narkle - Shaun Higgins - Cameron Guthrie - Zach Tuohy
IC: Zachary Merrett - Dylan Shiel - James Stewart - Dyson Heppell
IC: Jordan Clark - Mark O'Connor - Esava Ratugolea - Brandon Parfitt
IC: Matthew Guelfi - Archie Perkins - Ned Cahill - Nik Cox

Geelong defence vs Essendon forward line

Geelong had one of the most miserly back line's in 2020, conceding a goal only 18.2% of the time it went in there. Essendon struggled to kick goals once it entered their forward 50, kicking a goal just 20.1% of the time it entered their forward 50 last season. After impressing against Carlton, Alec Waterman will be hoping that a list spot comes his way this week and furthermore, a chance to stake his claim for a round 1 spot against a strong defense like Geelong, the mobile Jack Henry his most likely opponent. Peter Wright and Harrison Jones both showed signs against Carlton, but will be facing a sterner test from Lachlan Henderson and Mark Blicavs, whilst Jed Bews will be hoping to continue his good record against tricky small forward Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti.

Midfield/rucks battle

Geelong were arguably the best inside midfield group for 2020, being second for clearance differential and first for contested possession differential. Essendon were also pretty solid at the clearances, being 7th in that particular area whilst being 15th for contested possession differential. Since the end of 2020, Shaun Higgins has joined the Cats in their last gasp attempt to win a premiership, whilst they still have the likes of Patrick Dangerfield and Joel Selwood playing good football. Isaac Smith has also been brought in for more outside run and skills to go with Mitchell Duncan and Sam Menegola in their wing rotations. Essendon have brought in Jye Caldwell to improve their on-ball brigade, and will be looking for Darcy Parish and Andrew McGrath to keep on their steady progression, as well as guys like Brayden Ham and Kyle Langford to have more impact on the outside of the contest. Sam Draper will go against Rhys Stanley in the ruck, the former having huge wraps on his small, 5 game career so far.

Essendon defence vs Geelong forward line

Essendon last year conceded a goal 23.3% of the time it entered their defensive fifty, down in the bottom 4 of the AFL. Geelong, meanwhile, were the second best at converting their inside 50's into goals, kicking a goal 25.3% of the time. Since then they've added one of the best key forwards in the AFL with Jeremy Cameron, who is likely to be matched up by Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, whilst Tom Hawkins and Cale Hooker will go head to head once again, Hawkins edging Hooker the past few times they've gone against each other. The main small the bombers will be worried about will be Gryan Miers, the Cat averaging nearly 2 goals/game against the Dons, with Mason Redman the most likely to get his match-up.

X-Factor Player

Jordan Clark looks ready to make his mark on the competition. The versatile small can play half back, wing or even forward, but he'll need to find a place to settle soon.

Key stat

Geelong: Clearance differential. One of the best clearance teams in the comp, and added another very good clearance player without losing much.

Essendon: Defensive conversion. This has been the focus of their pre-season apparently, and it wasn't exactly the best in the first practice match.

Tip

Geelong by 42. Will show the difference between top 6 and bottom 6 here.

Are spectators going to be allowed in to this?

It's weird thinking about this game, the last game I saw live before covid hit was us vs Cats in Colac.
Yes, the club sent emails a week or two ago about claiming free tickets as a member

Jul 20, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
"Sit tight, we're securing your tickets...."

10 mins later and still securing those tickets. This had better improve by the time the regular season rolls around. Ticketmaster is absolute rubbish.

Bugger, mine took no time at all. Will be weird as a member to make the mad dash for tickets week to week.

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Bugger, mine took no time at all. Will be weird as a member to make the mad dash for tickets week to week.

It doesn't inspire much confidence when it gets to the loading screen and refuses to move off that no matter if it's on the wifi on the laptop or the app on my mobile data. How is a website this piss poor going to deal with this every few weeks or god forbid every week?

kleanr

Team Captain
Dec 9, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
took about 10 mins for me, I was 8 minutes late to the party but eventually got 2 against our AFL Full memberships in A32, Row D. I think that's mid wing'ish near the Centrelink ATM and behind the toothless & handbags permitted section

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got tickets in the members sale but it would not let me use two bar codes so I am on one side of the ground and Mrs Ant is on the other side in a different zone o_O Although in saying that it could be a good thing :D

Training watcher on Blitz just said Jones may have injured his leg today at training. May not play during the practice match in that case.

Hopefully nothing serious.
So you’re telling me the main player I was looking forward to watching might be out?

FFS.

Back