AFL Autopsy Pre-Season Game 2: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Saturday 06/03/2021 @ 7:10 PM AEDT

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I hope hepp gets up to pace (and takes learnings from tonight!). He looked good from what I saw in the Carlton practice match...especially his spread. Seemed to provide an option for a well weighted kick. Maybe the pressure from a better team caught him out a few times tonight.
Better team? Mate Carlton will win the flag. Just ask them.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah I hope hepp gets up to pace (and takes learnings from tonight!). He looked good from what I saw in the Carlton practice match...especially his spread. Seemed to provide an option for a well weighted kick. Maybe the pressure from a better team caught him out a few times tonight.

If he can’t hack it ..then so be it.

It’s ok. There’s plenty of young blokes with pace to replace him.

But the guy is an EFC legend and a one tough Leongatha:country boy hard nut

Let’s see how he pans out by round 5 or 6

Apr 30, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't really complain about the performance tonight. Lots of positives around the place. Only issue is that it feels like deja vu from every 3-5 year plan over the past decade.

Good signs from some of the young brigade.

Laverde down back could be the surprise of the year. Looked good but we need to see a bigger body of work.

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't really complain about the performance tonight. Lots of positives around the place. Only issue is that it feels like deja vu from every 3-5 year plan over the past decade.

Good signs from some of the young brigade.

Laverde down back could be the surprise of the year. Looked good but we need to see a bigger body of work.

Jayden was good

Release the pressure of kicking goals is sometimes good

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First game of footy I've been to in a long time, glad we put up a decent showing. I assume Daniher coughed into everyone's lockers before he left and they all caught whatever makes him a s**t shot on goal.

Some big nuffy energy from some of our fans which is embarrassing but to be expected I guess.

Our ball movement looked really good, lots of long, forward handballs that really opened the Cats up. We stood up pretty well in most parts of the ground aside from the forward line and even that was decent if you ignore the kicking on goal - 30 or so scoring shots is nothing to sneeze at.

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good hit out that for us. Would have won if we kicked straight. There was also that Franga mark on the line the Cats got a goal from and then backed it up with a 2nd straight after it.

Draper is terrific. Hit outs to advantage. Not used to seeing that from an Ess ruckman. Bryan looks like he can play too. Hind was very good, Caldwell impressive, Jones looks good, the mids are good mostly. Even Laverde was decent in the backline. Lot to like about the game plan too.

Query if we can play Hooker, Jones and 2MP in the same forward line. 2MP is more agile than I realised too and a slimmed down Hooker might mean he is now just slow rather than glacial.

And I have to say, the man on the mark not being able to move thing is pretty good for footy other than hearing the umps say "stand" all the time. Although they seem to wait for the player to stop moving before they say it so what seems to happen is that some players keep moving an extra second or 2 to game the system by which time the player with ball may well have played on anyway. That is where the problems with this will come and players will adapt to move off a couple of metres so they can then move to where the mark is supposed to be and gain a couple of seconds of time which helps players down the field get into position.

bacon buster

Premiership Player
Jul 8, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man Utd, LA Lakers
Pretty much positive signs all around really. I feel our ceiling this year is to sneak into the 8 if all goes well, and this performance only reinforced my view

Only thing that was disappointing really, was not winning the game, given the chances we had

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Really good hit out that for us. Would have won if we kicked straight. There was also that Franga mark on the line the Cats got a goal from and then backed it up with a 2nd straight after it.

Draper is terrific. Hit outs to advantage. Not used to seeing that from an Ess ruckman. Bryan looks like he can play too. Hind was very good, Caldwell impressive, Jones looks good, the mids are good mostly. Even Laverde was decent in the backline. Lot to like about the game plan too.

Query if we can play Hooker, Jones and 2MP in the same forward line. 2MP is more agile than I realised too and a slimmed down Hooker might mean he is now just slow rather than glacial.

And I have to say, the man on the mark not being able to move thing is pretty good for footy other than hearing the umps say "stand" all the time. Although they seem to wait for the player to stop moving before they say it so what seems to happen is that some players keep moving an extra second or 2 to game the system by which time the player with ball may well have played on anyway. That is where the problems with this will come and players will adapt to move off a couple of metres so they can then move to where the mark is supposed to be and gain a couple of seconds of time which helps players down the field get into position.

Yep ..Draper was sensational

I counted at least 85% of center bounces he clearly won

Good timing with the Tap ...good signs ahead

Back