AFL Autopsy Pre-Season Game 2: Geelong vs Essendon, Kardinia Park, Saturday 06/03/2021 @ 7:10 PM AEDT

Chicken Dinner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the game and watched from level 2 behind the goals so I got a good look at the whole ground set up.
Initial thoughts before watching the game again.
Best side did not win. We should have won by 5 goals easily.
Team defense looked good. I would say 80% happy with the overall defense.
Having players that can mark the ball makes a huge difference.
Hind kicks the ball 200% better than he did when we last had him.
Harry although quiet for long periods will be a bloody good player.
2MP can do what we need. No star but can hold up second ruck and 20 goal forward.
Draper. A ruck that can mark. :hearteyes:
Parish is a bloody good midfielder but he does kick it to the opposition a bit.
Stewart will make it as a defender but we can not afford to turn the footy over midfield as we do play off our opponents.
The man on the mark rule will throw up some interesting discussions in game reviews. Did not mind how it worked last night.
Happy with how we played minus the goal kicking.

I am going to say Shiel was good.
55% game time.
Lead all players in clearances and score involvements and second with inside 50's for both sides.
Had the most tackles inside 50 for both sides.
His contested v uncontested footy was around 45%/55%.
Disposal eff was at 70% which could use some more improvement but was better than the 50 to 60 range he can be in.
And a Ant555 stat. Team defense. 7/10.
Goal kicking sucked but a decent effort for just over half game time.

And for those interested. Zack Merritt 8/10 for his defensive work rate.

Really happy with what we saw tonight. Particularly happy with Laverde (I was a massive sceptic of him going back), Draper, Caldwell, McGrath and Hind.

Can’t believe people are canning Smith in here, he literally put us on his back for 4-5 minutes in the last to get us in the game. Kicking a goal on the run, followed up with an assist and then had a massive hustle play that nearly resulted in a goal when he was gassed.

That’s what you want from smith, that clutch campaigner. Smith looked anything but cooked. Hooker and Heppell on the other hand look really slow, teams will look to exploit their lack of athleticism. Heps awareness is a long way off, needs to to come back quick if he’s going to play half back. And Hooker is toast when the ball hits the deck.

Really happy with that performance though. Ripper.

Really happy with what we saw tonight. Particularly happy with Laverde (I was a massive sceptic of him going back), Draper, Caldwell, McGrath and Hind.

Can’t believe people are canning Smith in here, he literally put us on his back for 4-5 minutes in the last to get us in the game. Kicking a goal on the run, followed up with an assist and then had a massive hustle play that nearly resulted in a goal when he was gassed.

That’s what you want from smith, that clutch campaigner. Smith looked anything but cooked. Hooker and Heppell on the other hand look really slow, teams will look to exploit their lack of athleticism. Heps awareness is a long way off, needs to to come back quick if he’s going to play half back. And Hooker is toast when the ball hits the deck.

Really happy with that performance though. Ripper.
Hooker also kicked 4.2. Not sure what else you could really want.

Impressed with Laverde because he took a couple of nice contested marks and his positioning was good at getting to a couple of punches ...also in last qtr he got in front of much bigger Hawkins in a one on one and made sure of body contact to earn a free kick. Plus his kicking in defence was good as well

I maintain my policy of not reading too much into pre-season. But I thought there were some encouraging signs last night.

If we can bring that system and intensity, we’ll be competitive. It’s not going to be a season where we’re properly in contention, but there’s something there to work with.

I maintain my policy of not reading too much into pre-season. But I thought there were some encouraging signs last night.

If we can bring that system and intensity, we’ll be competitive. It’s not going to be a season where we’re properly in contention, but there’s something there to work with.
Lids off in the Doss house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

beg to differ mate. It's actually more alive than alot of the Melbourne CBD right now
however reading a few of your last posts, I can appreciate you aren't in the best space right now. Hopefully a few early rounds wins will help "perk" you up

i havent been in a good place for a long time........

I don't mind Snelling usually, but he was crap. Would rather give Waterman a crack in Round 1 and see what he can do.

We looked pretty good. Better ball movement and more structure. Still think we'll finish bottom 6 but there are encouraging signs going forward. Actually pretty excited for the season.

I don't mind Snelling usually, but he was crap. Would rather give Waterman a crack in Round 1 and see what he can do.

We looked pretty good. Better ball movement and more structure. Still think we'll finish bottom 6 but there are encouraging signs going forward. Actually pretty excited for the season.
Interested to know what area you thought he was crap ?
I thought he was okay. Not brilliant but did most of what he was supposed to short of nailing one goal he should have and a holding the ball in the last quarter where he did not take first option. His handball link was very good in the first 3/4. Was also second in our pressure acts behind Dev Smith and some of that was in the defensive half which is a good sign he is working hard as a half forward.

That was some of the more competent footy I have seen us play for a while.

Players knew what we were doing when we had the ball, their was connectivity. Players knew what we were doing when we didn’t have the ball, defensive pressure and positioning were good.

Individual skill level was good. General ball handling and hand ball under pressure were as good as I can remember them for some time.

I dunno....it looked.....competent. I can’t think of a better description.

That was some of the more competent footy I have seen us play for a while.

Players knew what we were doing when we had the ball, their was connectivity. Players knew what we were doing when we didn’t have the ball, defensive pressure and positioning were good.

Individual skill level was good. General ball handling and hand ball under pressure were as good as I can remember them for some time.

I dunno....it looked.....competent. I can’t think of a better description.

Well, considering our coach has rolled out "there was some confusion" early in the last two seasons, then yes, this game was definitely competent and we were at least organised in comparison

Well, considering our coach has rolled out "there was some confusion" early in the last two seasons, then yes, this game was definitely competent and we were at least organised in comparison

Merrett even said that Rutten has streamlined the approach so the players have a lot more clarity on structure and game plans.

Back