Unofficial Preview Pre season game at Arden Street v Hawthorn - Sunday 26 Feb 2:05pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
The fixturing of this borders on stupidity.

Temp fencing I suppose?

Temp stands I suppose?

Waste of everyone's time, money and effort.
I don't think that anybody takes pre-season games seriously. If the AFL are shelling out the money then who cares where they are played? It's simply about taking the game to the people regardless of whether it's at Arden Street where we all stand on mounds covered with gum trees or in Bourke. It's only the most ardent of fans who turn up to watch these practice games where most of the players aren't the main list players anyway. I just prefer to watch the spectacle and let AFL worry about the rest ;)

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think that anybody takes pre-season games seriously. If the AFL are shelling out the money then who cares where they are played? It's simply about taking the game to the people regardless of whether it's at Arden Street where we all stand on mounds covered with gum trees or in Bourke. It's only the most ardent of fans who turn up to watch these practice games where most of the players aren't the main list players anyway. I just prefer to watch the spectacle and let AFL worry about the rest ;)
Doesn't help that it's muppet Aussie Rules where new rules are added with the frequency of flatulence at Taco Bell.

Arden Street a ‘perfect’ option for a boutique stadium, says North Melbourne CEO Carl Dilena
  • DECEMBER 8, 201610:33AM

• NORTH Melbourne CEO Carl Dilena has suggested Arden Street would be the “perfect” venue for a boutique stadium, which could potentially become the home of women’s footy in Victoria.

Footy will return to Arden Street for the first time in 31 years next season, when the North Melbourne home base plays host to a pre-season fixture between the Kangaroos and the Hawks.

But Dilena has forecast a bigger future for the ground, claiming he would love to see Arden Street act as a venue for both VFL and AFLW games in years to come.

However, he stopped short of saying the ground has the capacity to host home-and-away AFL fixtures, as has been suggested for other potential boutique stadiums like Princes Park, Punt Road and Whitten Oval.

Instead, Dilena believes the AFL is “well served” with both the MCG and Etihad Stadium hosting the majority of competitive fixtures in Victoria for the time being.

“It’s a hard one, because you’re catering for a small crowd and then you’ve got to question the economics around it,” Dilena told SEN Radio.

“I think if it (a boutique stadium) was multipurpose — and I think one thing the AFL needs to look at longer term is a home for women’s football, where you might not necessarily get 100,000 people and you don’t need the MCG size, but you might need a ground that’s a bit more boutique — it could possibly be used for VFL and for smaller drawing games as well.”

But Dilena did state his belief that Arden Street is more than capable of hosting VFL and women’s fixtures in future years.

“I reckon it could be,” Dilena said.

“If we built in some of those facilities, we’d love to see VFL and women’s football played at Arden Street.

“I think it would be a perfect venue for it, particularly because of the new construction across the road of the Arden Street underground station. There will literally be a train station right across the road from the ground.”

The AFL is likely to restrict capacity at next year’s pre-season game at Arden Street to a “manageable number” of around 5,000 people.

Maybe the NMBF Challenge GF can be played as a curtain raiser.

Make it happen Twinkletoes

Who do you think I am, Euge? Have your people speak to my people GN and we'll get back to you following the next Chaddy Food Court pow wow of power.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Who do you think I am, Euge? Have your people speak to my people GN and we'll get back to you following the next Chaddy Food Court pow wow of power.

I am my people, who are your people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am my people, who are your people?

The North Melbourne Mod Squad, at your service.

tumblr_meoqbjINnq1ryu5rko1_500.gif

FYI - was chatting with my mate that owns the "remastered" hot dogs food truck last night. He said that he's been contacted by * about rocking up to their family day. I asked if he adds peptides to his sauces?

I'll get in touch with the club and see if they're looking to do something similar - food trucks, not peptides.

theboyfrombalga

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2009
Balga
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The fixturing of this borders on stupidity.

Temp fencing I suppose?

Temp stands I suppose?

Waste of everyone's time, money and effort.
Couldn't agree with you more. A couple of intra clubs/games against Werribee are all we need each year at the ground. Won't be much fun for anyone sweating on a metal temporary stand and queuing for a few hours to piss in a portable toilet in the February heat. Will be like being at a music festival only minus the pingaz.

Back