Review Pre-Season Games 2023

Hey GremioPower we have another Lucas fan!

I'm a Liverpool fan. I can't not love Lucas. I was also a big backer of his when he went through that rough period early in his days at Liverpool.

BigRang

All Australian
Mar 11, 2011
South of the Black Stump
AFL Club
Fremantle
Remember that time I wanted Treacy as my BFF this year and one of you other numpties got him instead and I had to settle for 2023 Coleman medallist Nathan Fyfe? Lol suckers.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm a Liverpool fan. I can't not love Lucas. I was also a big backer of his when he went through that rough period early in his days at Liverpool.
Same. Just love how he embraced everything about the club and the city. He’s now at his old club in Brazil, and Luis Suarez just joined him.

DocT

All Australian
Sep 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fyfe: 3 goals, 2 assists, 8 score involvements. Yes please.
Pretty damn special to be The Man and yet delivering that performance in your 14th preseason. I think he has learned a lot of humility in the past couple of years and there is a huge internal drive to deliver anew. Just another awesome Docker Story to see play out in 2023 and beyond. LFG! ('Let's F*G Go!')

DocT

All Australian
Sep 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle

Fremantle Dockers: How every player fared in scratch match victory over Port Adelaide​

Andrew Brayshaw, Will Brodie and Nat Fyfe all impressed in the Dockers’ win over Port on Thursday, writes ELIZA REILLY.

March 2, 2023 - 10:24PM

Fremantle bounced back from a first-up defeat against Adelaide with a 31-point victory over Port on Thursday.
Andrew Brayshaw and Will Brodie combined for 72 disposals while Nat Fyfe kicked a game-high three goals.

Here’s how every Docker fared.

Jordan Clark: Electric and creative out of defence. Gave the Dockers plenty of drive and also won the ball back when Port were surging.
Brandon Walker: Made some costly errors and got away with a few as well. Appears to be competing against Nathan Wilson for a round one spot.
Hayden Young: Won plenty of the ball but wasn’t as penetrating as we’ve seen him at times.
Nathan Wilson: If it’s a choice between him and Brandon Walker round one, it may be in Fremantle’s interests to invest in the future. Sound defensively.
Brennan Cox: Hasn’t been slowed down by an interrupted pre-season. Played spare in defence and won plenty of the ball.
Alex Pearce: Was back to his shutdown best, blanketing Charlie Dixon. Put his fist through the ball at every opportunity.
James Aish: Solid game on the wing. Used the ball well and got involved in offensive chains.
Sam Sturt: Has learned the art of pressure in attack and it could earn him a round one berth. Laid a few big tackles, did all the little things well and hit the scoreboard for his efforts.
Liam Henry: Lock him in for round one. Has changed Fremantle’s dynamic on the wing and looks to have found more consistency in his game.
Lachie Schultz: Inaccurate, finishing with 0.4 but was constantly dangerous up forward for Freo with several score involvements.
Matt Taberner: Didn’t get the best service at times but got his hands to the footy in spite of it. Gave a contest without imposing himself.
Caleb Serong: Gained plenty of ground for Fremantle and surged the ball forward.
Josh Treacy: Has clearly overtaken Jye Amiss in the pecking order and it’s easy to see why. So strong in the air but also athletic at ground level. Sound the cyclone warning.
Nat Fyfe: Gave the outside of his boot a fair workout with two sublime first half goals but the most impressive facet of Fyfe’s game is his growing confidence. A massive presence.
Sam Switkowski: Perfected the set play off the palm of Sean Darcy in the second quarter. A textbook small forward performance.
Sean Darcy: Said last year he wanted to improve his marking around the ground. Did exactly that and took the points against Scott Lycett.
Andrew Brayshaw: A typically prolific game. Won an equal game-high 36 touches and had five score involvements.
Jaeger O’Meara: Oozes class. Has slipped in seamlessly to the role vacated by David Mundy. Also hit the scoreboard.
Liam Reidy: Didn’t check into the game despite Luke Jackson’s absence as Treacy offered support in the ruck.
Matthew Johnson: Came on in the final quarter and spent it up forward.
Bailey Banfield: Got a starting spot in the forward line and had a bigger impact than the stat sheet suggests. Halved a lot of contests.
Ethan Hughes: Split his time between the wing and defence. Comes in the Blake Acres ‘defend first’ mould but isn’t as effective.
Will Brodie: The Brodie renaissance rolls on. Was a clearance machine against the Power but also impacted defensively, laying a memorable tackle on Sam Powell-Pepper.
Heath Chapman: Played taller than usual in the absence of Luke Ryan and didn’t look out of place. Part of a stingy defence.
Eliza seems to have been looking at the game thru the same binoculars as the BF faithful. Great to see your (our) observations confirmed.

DocT

All Australian
Sep 4, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
I thought this game was on tomorrow for some reason or I would've headed down to watch it.
At the very least it'll fuel Sack Hinkley for the next fortnight
Love your avatar largebus. That'd be Cooper 'Killer' Connolly right? The face on The Heat 2024 Promo Dart Board.

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Just watched the replay.

+
  • Cox was fantastic. His intercept work was excellent and as Pav said he is often the quarterback of the backline. He'll be huge for us this year
  • Fyfey. 6 goals in two games. Multiple assists. He's not gonna average 3 goals a game but his pressure is gonna freak some defenders out. He bashed a couple bodies today that you know will be on oppos video reels.
  • The midfield brigade. I've never played footy so I don't know how easy it is to slot into a new side, but JOM looked at home for only his second game. He even said after the game that he's really liking what the other mids are doing and he's enjoying playing with the boys. Brodie is gonna have another huge year (with hopefully less drop off as the year goes) and Braysaw and Serong are like soul brothers. lol.
  • Big onion just cleaned up today. I thought some of his taps were going to Port a bit too often, but I'd like to see the hit out to advantage numbers. We obviously dominated the clearance work, so it couldn't have been that bad. He also took some nice clunks around the ground. My hot take is that he's going to have career high goals this season. With Jako in the ruck, he's gonna be that big target up top that will see some opportunities.
  • Moose. Our new skipper's first game. He had the golden fist today and neutralized Dixon and the other Port talls. Really good game.
  • Henry. Was this his coming out party? I thought he was much better than Hughes today. You would think he'll be in the side in round one, especially since NOD will need to build fitness. He was very active out there and was up and down the ground helping on both sides of the field.
  • Aish. This dude is such an unsung hero for us. He is everywhere and does everything. I really like him as a player. He looks like he's gonna have another solid year.
  • Sturt. Geez, I thought he played really well in the HF flank. A couple goals. Some big tackles and overall pressure on the ball. If freddy comes back in, does he have a place? Maybe as long as Walters is out? He's a hell of a good kick on goal though. Would love to see more of him.

-
  • I felt our ball movement between the arcs needs to be cleaned up. There were a lot of times that someone got a handball and was turned around as opposed to being on the move going forward on the overlap. It almost seems like we need to do a better job of the release handball out of congestion to take pressure of people. Too many small handballs under pressure that resulted in turnovers or HTBs. We weren't as free flowing as I would have liked.
  • Shultz's accuracy. Yes, his set shots were not easy and there was some wind out there today, but you'd expect him to go at least 2.2, not 0.4
  • They said Freo oval is much skinnier than Optus, but our transition work in defense didn't really get the release to space you'd like. You also have to give credit to Port for their defensive structure. Every time we switched the ball, they were all over it. Will this change with bigger grounds? Do we need to make the switch faster? I guess time will tell. I'm not smart enough to know. lol.

Anyway, I think this set us up well for the Saints. Can't wait to see our unicorn out there next week and having the boys in purple giving our good ol' pal Ross the Boss some headaches. :)

Go :freo::freo::freo::freo::freo::freo:!!!

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Great hit out. Amazing what a few key players back can make after last week’s lame effort. Also Brayshaw & Brodie seemed to be trying this week!

Most enjoyable for me was how freaking good Cox is, Henry looks at home & Sturt is coming good.

And the best bit.

Fyfe’s combination of footy smarts & brutal body work- that goal here he ripped the ball out of the hands of a port player, fended off another like he was a small child & kicked a checkside was incredible. That & the last Q when he perfectly timed smashing into 2 defenders in the air skittering them both, kept his feet, gathered the loose ball & gave it on a platter to Tabs.
I’ve been quietly praying to the football gods to let us see one more season of Fyfe enjoying the game & playing it at the level we know he can.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Always been the best junior in his team / competition. Never had to be a team player ?.

Still thinks he’s numero uno. Needs to pull the head in and soak up team items from experienced players.

Give me a player like Serong over him, 7 days a week.

They said similar s**t about Dusty and Petracca early on JHF will be the same , there is a reason that level of power through the contest is the most highly sort after trait in the game …. it’s completely unteachable and near on unstoppable

I remember a NFL coach’s quote from a few years back … you can write as many encouraging notes on little Johnnys sandwich bags as you like but nothing beats genetics at this level

Him and Rozee will be a hell of a combo in the coming years unless they have bad luck

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Stupid Brownlow specs time of the year for me

Brodie looks like he’s gone from a two effort type to a three , Andy being a 4+ effort freak does hurt Wills Brownlow chances though

IMG_0244.JPG

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
They said similar s**t about Dusty and Petracca early on JHF will be the same , there is a reason that level of power through the contest is the most highly sort after trait in the game …. it’s completely unteachable and near on unstoppable

I remember a NFL coach’s quote from a few years back … you can write as many encouraging notes on little Johnnys sandwich bags as you like but nothing beats genetics at this level

Him and Rozee will be a hell of a combo in the coming years unless they have bad luck
I agree , Has had interrupted preseason showed some good signs yesterday .
With a higher fitness base will be some sort of player IMHO

Back