Pre-Season Injury Update

Remove this Banner Ad

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Key Crows Tom Lynch and Kyle Hartigan will be ready for the start of pre-season after recovering from serious injuries.

Lynch, 24, spent a month in a brace after suffering a small fracture in his neck in a sickening front-on collision during the Club’s Round 20 clash with the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba.

Adelaide’s 2013 leading goalkicker has received medical clearance and will train with his teammates when the full group returns to West Lakes on November 17. Lynch endured a wretched run with injury in 2014, faced with foot, shoulder, jaw and neck complaints.

Hartigan, 22, missed the last month of the season as the result of a nasty clash while playing for Adelaide’s SANFL team.

The promising key defender narrowly avoided losing his spleen after suffering internal bleeding in a heavy collision during the SANFL Showdown in July. The former rookie, who played seven AFL games this year, spent three days in Intensive Care where he was diagnosed with a lacerated spleen, fractured rib and sprained AC joint.

Hartigan has also been cleared medically and will start pre-season when Adelaide’s 1-4-year players return on Wednesday (November 5).

Physical Performance Manager Nick Poulos said the pair had made full recoveries.

“Lynchy is back training 100 per cent. He’s been cleared and will be raring to go in full training. Kyle’s also back running and training as normal, so there are no issues there either,” Poulos said.

“It’s great to see both boys back in good health and out on the track.”

Captain Nathan van Berlo will also be ready for day one of pre-season after missing the entire 2014 campaign because of a ruptured Achilles.

“If we’d made finals, we might have seen ‘VB’ play before the end of the season. In the end, he missed out by a couple of weeks,” Poulos said.

“He’ll be jumping out of his skin."

A handful of Crows will be eased into full training after post-season surgery.

Forwards Eddie Betts and James Podsiadly both had minor hip operations, while Club Champion Daniel Talia and veteran midfielder Scott Thompson had minor knee surgery. Talia is already back running as is young defender Sam Siggins, who had wrist surgery.

“Eddie had a cyst removed from his hip. He’ll be running a little bit at the start of pre-season and will progress over the first couple of weeks,” Poulos said.

“Scott Thompson is also likely to be on a modified program for the first few weeks. Both Thommo and Eddie are experienced players with strong training bases behind them, so it won’t affect them too much. They won’t be far away.

“Pods will have a progressive re-entry to training. Knowing Pods, he’ll want to be out there running around from the start but given his age and profile we have to be careful and make sure we don’t bring him back too early.”

Adelaide has two longer-term injury concerns in defenders Andy Otten and Sam Shaw.

Otten is three months into his rehabilitation from a second knee reconstruction.

“For someone who is recovering from his second knee reconstruction, Andy’s in amazing spirits. I’ve never seen someone, who has done an ACL, so positive about his rehab,” Poulos said.

“If he has that attitude now, I’ve got no doubt he’ll come out the other side even better.”

Shaw is recuperating from hamstring surgery and will be monitored closely upon his return to training after Christmas.

Shaw had surgery as a result of a full review into his ongoing hamstring issues.

“Sam had surgery mid-September and it went very well,” Poulos said.

“He’ll aim to be in full training just before the start of the season.”

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-11-04/preseason-injury-update

Shaw had surgery as a result of a full review into his ongoing hamstring issues.

“Sam had surgery mid-September and it went very well,” Poulos said.

“He’ll aim to be in full training just before the start of the season.”

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-11-04/preseason-injury-update

So of our three "3rd tall" defenders from last year, Otten is recovering from an ACL and probably won't play all year, Shaw had hamstring surgery and won't be training until April and we delisted L.Thompson. In Cheney we trust?

Thought I shouldn't do it, but what the hell. What happened to the much vaunted 'AFL-young' body that this bloke brought with him from Geelong.

“Pods will have a progressive re-entry to training. Knowing Pods, he’ll want to be out there running around from the start but given his age and profile we have to be careful and make sure we don’t bring him back too early.”

Thought I shouldn't do it, but what the hell. What happened to the much vaunted 'AFL-young' body that this bloke brought with him from Geelong.

Anybody who thinks that a player will have a longer career, simply because they didn't arrive in the AFL until a later age, has rocks in their heads - particularly one who was around in the state leagues for as long as JPod was. That's a fantasy that only exists on BigFooty. I doubt you ever heard anyone at the club say something that stupid.

Anybody who thinks that a player will have a longer career, simply because they didn't arrive in the AFL until a later age, has rocks in their heads - particularly one who was around in the state leagues for as long as JPod was. That's a fantasy that only exists on BigFooty. I doubt you ever heard anyone at the club say something that stupid.

I'm sure Sando has said this before hahaha

Gonna be great to see VB redeem himself next year. Prove the doubters wrong VB!!!

I'm happy to hear Lynchy's training again, was slightly worried for his career due to that neck injury.
They very rarely gave any updates on his progress too. I was genuinely concerned it might be over for 10 goal Tommy.

So of our three "3rd tall" defenders from last year, Otten is recovering from an ACL and probably won't play all year, Shaw had hamstring surgery and won't be training until April and we delisted L.Thompson. In Cheney we trust?

We may well pick up one more mature age player in the draft, or more likely the rookie draft, for depth and as insurance. Someone who could play third tall. Either a delisted player or one of the better SANFL type players who has been around a while and is ready to go. I suspect Kelly is still about a year off from being properly ready, as is Sam Siggins, if he is going to make it that is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back