Prediction Pre-season is nearly done. When everyone finishes training the house down, who do you see playing the house down and contending in 2023?

2023 premiership

• Melbourne

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Geelong

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Sydney

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Carlton

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Bullddogs

Votes: 10 9.7%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 24 23.3%
  • Other

Votes: 31 30.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Yo!

I'm not across any teams' preseason outside of some mentions of Essendon on our board. Seeing Essendon is still not even middle of the road, without noticeable off-season improvement, compared to rivals, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to list changes and how that affects the pointy end of the competition.

I'm assuming that Melbourne very much has the window open and based on what their list has shown over the last two years and their demographics "should" be favourites going into 2023.

Geelong defied the gravity of ageing last year, but I also think that is also related to some teams underperforming. I think their culture, list and systems say they'll be there to swoop if younger more powerful teams don't perform but I don't think they go in as favourites.

I think Sydney got where they did with a young list that will improve and also have culture and systems that keep them in the frame but I see them like Geelong as not quite "the s**t", but unlike Geelong, I think their demographics suggest they'll be on the improve over the next two years.

Carlton is in a similar position (in my eyes) that we saw Melbourne in 2022 and Richmond in 2017. Underperforming for decades and finally at the peak of a patient and thorough rebuild. Sure they choked last year and they haven't put anything on the board, but I think their list is as good as anyone's going into 2023.

Richmond has got Martin back and added some real power to their midfield. Over the last two years, they've blooded a lot of youth as well. If their pressure returns to what it used to be I think a lot of teams trying the roll-the-dice game plan that worked for Collingwood last year will be found lacking against Richmond.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that Footscray's list is also "in the window" and a lot better than what we saw last year. 2022 is a better indication of what they are capable of and a combination of injuries and internal politics brought them down. If they play to their potential they could be as good as anyone.

Finally, Brisbane. They have excitement all over the park and despite finishing in and around the top 4 you feel like generally speaking, they have underperformed over the last few years. Partly by drinking their own bathwater as they smash teams on the home deck and then going to water in the finals. It is a lot like the Port side of 01-03. The additions of Dunkley and Ashcroft to their midfield make it potentially the best in the league. Hipwood was just finding his feet last year and the combination of him and Daniher could be unstoppable if Joe stops clowning. The addition of McKenna is interesting too he's only 26 and I expect him to make a huge impact.

So, ranking them all I have Melbourne and Brisbane as my favourites, I think Brisbane is the sleeper, with Carlton to round out the top three. I'll throw a blanket over the rest of those above as 4th. However, considering where their list is at, I think all 7 of those teams will be disappointed if they don't make the top 4 without a huge injury list as an excuse.

Anyhow, as I said, I haven't not been following it closely to say any of that with real confidence. Why am I wrong about Melbourne and Brisbane? Why won't Carlton charge up the ladder and dominate?

Yo!

I'm not across any teams' preseason outside of some mentions of Essendon on our board. Seeing Essendon is still not even middle of the road, without noticeable off-season improvement, compared to rivals, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to list changes and how that affects the pointy end of the competition.

I'm assuming that Melbourne very much has the window open and based on what their list has shown over the last two years and their demographics "should" be favourites going into 2023.

Geelong defied the gravity of ageing last year, but I also think that is also related to some teams underperforming. I think their culture, list and systems say they'll be there to swoop if younger more powerful teams don't perform but I don't think they go in as favourites.

I think Sydney got where they did with a young list that will improve and also have culture and systems that keep them in the frame but I see them like Geelong as not quite "the s**t", but unlike Geelong, I think their demographics suggest they'll be on the improve over the next two years.

Carlton is in a similar position (in my eyes) that we saw Melbourne in 2022 and Richmond in 2017. Underperforming for decades and finally at the peak of a patient and thorough rebuild. Sure they choked last year and they haven't put anything on the board, but I think their list is as good as anyone's going into 2023.

Richmond has got Martin back and added some real power to their midfield. Over the last two years, they've blooded a lot of youth as well. If their pressure returns to what it used to be I think a lot of teams trying the roll-the-dice game plan that worked for Collingwood last year will be found lacking against Richmond.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that Footscray's list is also "in the window" and a lot better than what we saw last year. 2022 is a better indication of what they are capable of and a combination of injuries and internal politics brought them down. If they play to their potential they could be as good as anyone.

Finally, Brisbane. They have excitement all over the park and despite finishing in and around the top 4 you feel like generally speaking, they have underperformed over the last few years. Partly by drinking their own bathwater as they smash teams on the home deck and then going to water in the finals. It is a lot like the Port side of 01-03. The additions of Dunkley and Ashcroft to their midfield make it potentially the best in the league. Hipwood was just finding his feet last year and the combination of him and Daniher could be unstoppable if Joe stops clowning. The addition of McKenna is interesting too he's only 26 and I expect him to make a huge impact.

So, ranking them all I have Melbourne and Brisbane as my favourites, I think Brisbane is the sleeper, with Carlton to round out the top three. I'll throw a blanket over the rest of those above as 4th. However, considering where their list is at, I think all 7 of those teams will be disappointed if they don't make the top 4 without a huge injury list as an excuse.

Anyhow, as I said, I haven't not been following it closely to say any of that with real confidence. Why am I wrong about Melbourne and Brisbane? Why won't Carlton charge up the ladder and dominate?

I think your listing is pretty realistic really but I can sum it up in less words. Sides that win the flag have two things in common (Much to the dismay of many modern footy experts and coaches....its not DEFENCE). Sides that win flags generally have a bit more luck with regards to their injuries to key players and they have the key component.....they have two GUN (better than average) key forwards.
So your list rates Geelong, Brisbane, Richmond,Carlton, WB's and Melbourne (who have average forwards but a GREAT midfield). I'd personally forget the Swans (Buddy can't do it alone) and maybe suggest that Port Adelaide will feature due to their list of tall and medium forwards.

Richmond, Geelong, Carlton and Melbourne imo.

I would have Brisbane up there as well but they seem to have a tough draw. If they manage to finish in the top 4, they would be favourites.

Tigers, cats, lions and dockers top 4 is my prediction

Dees midfield and addition of grundy should give them a decent top 4 shot too.

Swans, pies and dogs im less sure on.
Outside the 8 - port, blues and suns will give it a shake. Reckon they all need some injury luck and the 3 above to slip.

I've been worried about Carlton's depth in recent years, and now with Walsh, Williams and Philp missing all or parts of 2023 I genuinely believe they could miss finals again.

Don't see a real reason why Geelong won't go back to back at this stage unless Richmond or Melbourne really reload.

Western Bulldogs are the hardest to get a gauge on.

Brisbane have the most to lose because anything less than a Grand Final appearance will likely be viewed as a wasted opportunity.

We're getting ignored again aren't we?

1 point from a GF, added a Brownlow medallist and a few handy bigger bodies, N Daicos with infinite upside, a confident coach who gets great results...

Ignore us at your peril!!!

The poll is for who will win the premiership in 2023. Not who will get within a goal of the eventual premier.

There is a solid chance Collingwood will be making up the numbers again. They seem to do that very well.

1 point from a GF, added a Brownlow medallist and a few handy bigger bodies, N Daicos with infinite upside, a confident coach who gets great results...

My only concern is ruck depth. Cameron is injury scare you really couldn't afford.

And 2nd year blues. Macrae seems like a great coach to work under though. So could all pan out quite nicely.

The poll is for who will win the premiership in 2023. Not who will get within a goal of the eventual premier.

There is a solid chance Collingwood will be making up the numbers again. They seem to do that very well.
The flag winner actually comes from the 8 sides who make up the numbers, so not sure why Carlton are on this list having not had a top 8 finish since 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The flag winner actually comes from the 8 sides who make up the numbers, so not sure why Carlton are on this list having not had a top 8 finish since 2011.

Collingwood have potential to finish as high as 2nd in 2023. You should be proud of that mate. You’ve taken the poll options the wrong way.

Not sure why Collingwood, Freo, Port and even Gold Coast aren’t included in the OP.

Dogs should rise, thought carlton were a definite but injuries might hurt, and Freo should give top 4 a shake if one of the young forwards stands up and Fyfe has a good season.

If you continue to pray hard enough, the Blues may get to experience finals footy.

I’d love to share something in common with you.

OP is an anti-Collingwood troll

Back