Preview Pre season match v Hawks March 6th @arden street 4:10pm

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'd like to see Powell operate in a full strength midfield for decent portions of the game.

10+ center bounces.

With Goldy, LDU, Cunners/Simpkin.

This clipping is from the March 1 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

Kangas key trio in mix for Hawks
Herald Sun - Monday, 1 Mar 2021 - Page 55

NORTH Melbourne is hopeful Ben Cunnington and Jared Polec will be available to give its midfield a huge boost for its clash against Hawthorn on Saturday.

And veteran ruckman Todd Goldstein is on track to return for the AAMI Community Series clash, after sitting out of the heavy scratch match loss to St Kilda on Thursday.

Cunnington will be assessed for any lingering concussion symptoms at training this week after copping a head knock in an intra-club game on February 12.

He was one of the first players to serve a compulsory 12-day break, which expired last week, as part of the AFL’s bolstered concussion protocols.

The Roos are keen to unleash their star hardball winner after an injury-ravaged 2020, but only if he is passed fit to play against the Hawks at Arden St.

Cunnington, 29, battle a debilitating back problem last year and played only three games.

Polec, 28, is on the comeback from a hamstring problem and is keen to recapture his best form.

Coach David Noble has made it clear he wants to maximise Polec’s weapons as a hard-running wingman, while continuing to develop the Roos’ young playmakers such as Luke Davies-Uniacke , Bailey Scott and Jy Simpkin.

The Kangas also have No.3 draft pick Will Phillips, who missed out on a berth for North’s practice match in favour of fellow youngsters Tom Powell and Charlie Lazarro and mature-age recruits Connor Menadue, from Richmond, and ex-Bulldog Lachie Young at their disposal.

But Jed Anderson is in a race against time to be fit for Round 1 as he tries to overcome a calf complaint.

Anderson is unlikely to play against the Hawks and has instead set himself to take on premiership fancy Port Adelaide in Round 1 at Marvel Stadium.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

1614538474078.png

Sent from my iPad

Good post almost exactly my thoughts too.

I wouldn't mind another look at Tyson to see if/how he can work in with Cunnington at all. I'm not sold on Tom.

Atu or Spicer - I really want a small forward with outright closing speed in there. Kayne runs hard in the role but doesn't have the agility and pace of those 2. Someone like Zurhaar could really capitalise with an angry ant creating opportunities around him.

Either of them in a Byron Pickett style "make the rebounding defender soil themselves" role would make things interesting.
I want Atu in the backhalf as the lockdown defender so Hayden can play midfield more. Menadue as well in defence.

There is only one spot available in defence isn't there! Currently with atley holding it....

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Pre-season matches are the time to experiment with our depth. Having Corr, McKay, Taz, and Ziebell makes us very top-heavy and one-paced. Leaves only two on-field defensive spots and one bench spot. Assuming Atley is one, L Mac is one and Hayden potentially another, then there’s no spot. One if Hayden is primarily playing as a midfielder. However, we do need defensive depth.

Last edited:
We are building a stand?

Note: Level 1 premium reserved (Archer's Legends), level 1 premium seating, level 2 premium seating (Premiership Club) and level 2 premium reserved members (Schimma Platinum Club) will have access to an exclusive area, including a bar and seating to watch the match.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pre-season matches are the time to experiment with our depth. Having Corr, McKay, Taz, and Ziebell makes us very top-heavy and one-paced. Leaves only two on-field defensive spots and one bench spot. Assuming Atley is one and Hayden potentially another, that leaves only one spot. Two if Hayden is primarily playing as a midfielder.

Where is lmac in this? Corr is surprisingly quick

Where is lmac in this? Corr is surprisingly quick

Not the main point.

L Mac - McKay - Taz
Atley - Corr - Ziebell

Hayden/Young

The point is that it is still too heavy with the addition of Ziebell, and you do need to test depth and alternative options in preseason games. I rather we test our smaller defender depth considering how badly small forwards regularly play really well against us.

Last edited:

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not the main point.

L Mac - McKay - Taz
Atley - Corr - Ziebell

Hayden/Young

The point is that it is still too heavy with the addition of Ziebell, and you do need to test depth and alternative options in preseason games. I rather we test our smaller defender depth considering how badly small forwards regularly play really well against us.

Still abit of pace though with ats corr and lmac.... I'd prob prefer young to ats.... and yes happy to see R2 have a chance back there obviously quick and with rugby background strong tackler.... still to accept jz back there at this stage

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I want Atu in the backhalf as the lockdown defender so Hayden can play midfield more. Menadue as well in defence.

Don’t mind trying Atu as a lockdown small defender. Would help him learn the craft of a small forward too. At the moment he’s a very raw project player with his pace being his biggest weapon. Giving him the job of just focusing on shutting down the most dangerous small forward could be just what he needs.

So everyone going to get a bulk email on Wednesday just before the tickets go on sale? I presume no one else has one yet? What a mess, and you are right very predictable.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
FB: Hardwick, Hartigan, Frost
FF: Turner, Larkey, Thomas

HB: Day, McEvoy, Impey
HF: Taylor, Zurhaar, Stephenson

C: Phillips, O’Meara, Downie
C: Hall, Cunnington, Scott