Training Pre season. Next up a VFL practice game v Williamstown at Arden St 10.30am Sat 17th Mar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why have Durdin, McKay and Daw all been named in the squad as KPD?

They've been cut, but all have claims as back up ruckman. Nielsen doesn't.

You may have no issues with his ability, and personally I agree, but like Mountford it appears pretty clear at this point that the club doesn't rate him particularly highly. He's only still on the list because of his late '17 form, was done and dusted up until that point.

Mate, just because a 7 game kid can't currently displace a couple of Syd Barker Medalists in the side, doesn't mean the club doesn't rate him.

FFS, you have the patience of the road runner on Ritalin.

They've been cut, but all have claims as back up ruckman. Nielsen doesn't.

Mate, just because a 7 game kid can't currently displace a couple of Syd Barker Medalists in the side, doesn't mean the club doesn't rate him.

FFS, you have the patience of the road runner on Ritalin.
I genuinely can't stand how aggressive you constantly feel the need to be mate. It's ridiculous. Looking at the facts we have access to over a period of time, including how contracting the two individuals I was speaking about played out, what respected posters with various degrees of inside info have said, how the club rated their performances in the syd barker count (which is the best public analysis we have) , and current selection; I have drawn what is from where I'm sitting the only reasonable conclusion.

I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that a fully fit Nielsen doesn't get a run in either the 'trial' JLT squad or the 'mock round 1' squad, hasn't featured in any media even though the club is flogging its 'youth' message to anyone who will listen, and is sitting on a very low $ 1 year contract, means something. Its stupid to pretend that it doesn't.

Neilson has it.

It sticks out like dogs balls and I think a new contract is a formality.

It comes down to where we are at as a list.

Hunter can't go on forever and regardless of modern trends, a player like that is still a valuable alternative.

That's what Neilson is.

There isn't a spot for him once Tazz & Thommo take the KPD roles.

I have no issues with Neilsens ability. He's just biding his time until a spot opens.
Thommo should be slowly weaned out in his final year.
Play the 1st mth of the season then the important games :-ie anticipated final teams of 2018.
We need to blood the back spine with Tarrant asap.

like ive said before was given a 1 year contract for a reason, not rated internally as high as others
You mean after the club continued to support and renew him after his knee injury and hadnt played a game up until late last year? He was rewarded his first game after great form in the VFL over many weeks. And didn't look out of place in AFL.

Let's not this thread go all Dec Mounford again.

Last edited:
Thommo should be slowly weaned out in his final year.

He's 31, not 87 and he's coming off another excellent season.

Play the 1st mth of the season then the important games :-ie anticipated final teams of 2018.
We need to blood the back spine with Tarrant asap.

Blooding them with Tarrant and Thommo is even better.

I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for Thommo's career to finish. He could still be playing in 2020.

I genuinely can't stand how aggressive you constantly feel the need to be mate.

I genuinely can't stand the irrational hysteria and impending doom you display in some of your commentary. It's completely illogical as I will point out below.

It's ridiculous. Looking at the facts we have access to over a period of time, including how contracting the two individuals I was speaking about played out, what respected posters with various degrees of inside info have said, how the club rated their performances in the syd barker count (which is the best public analysis we have) , and current selection; I have drawn what is from where I'm sitting the only reasonable conclusion.

I hope I'm wrong, but the fact that a fully fit Nielsen doesn't get a run in either the 'trial' JLT squad or the 'mock round 1' squad, hasn't featured in any media even though the club is flogging its 'youth' message to anyone who will listen, and is sitting on a very low $ 1 year contract, means something. Its stupid to pretend that it doesn't.

Nielsen is a young 21 year old defender with 7 games under his belt. Bigger defenders historically take time to get ready to take on the role as KPD types in the AFL. He is also limited by the fact that he is pretty much a one position player and the fact that there are currently two top shelf blokes holding down the spots in the senior side that are holding him out. I can't see any issues about him biding his time for a spot to open up.

By comparison Tarrant had only played 2 games at the same age:

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...056&pid2=2315&fid1=A&fopt1=21&fid2=A&fopt2=21

...and Thompson was still running around at South Barwon!!!!!!!!

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...056&pid2=2337&fid1=A&fopt1=21&fid2=A&fopt2=21

In conclusion, it is completely illogical to suggest there is some impending doom over Dan Nielsen's current inability to gain a spot in the senior side. I have watched him play, he has ability and I am confident his time will come. If it doesn't, and he is not contracted again by seasons end, then it's hardly going to expose the clubs KPD depth by that outcome. We're not losing David Dench.

Last edited:
Anyways I have bought my reserved Standing Room Ticket for the match at Carlton between the NMFC vs Richmond. Looking forward to seeing the Master Coach in Brads Scotts strutt his stuff. :stern look

Interesting to hear that Mason Wood agreed with Bartel's comment that tomorrows game will be a "full dress rehearsal" for round 1.
Well we've picked a side for that purpose. 2 key defenders to match up with Richmond's small fwd line and only one key out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we've picked a side for that purpose. 2 key defenders to match up with Richmond's small fwd line and only one key out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Yeah, and I hope Preuss plays as a back up ruck and can have some forward impact and expose the Astbury/Rance pairing.

A forward line with Brown as KPF and Waite rotating through the wing with Wood & Garner, and Preuss going in there, gives us a hell of a lot of mismatch possibilities.

I’m liking that JZ has been named in the forward line. Hoping he plays the majority down there and is only rotated through the middle.

Yep, Turner and Brown will probably be the only stay at home forwards.

Interesting to hear that Mason Wood agreed with Bartel's comment that tomorrows game will be a "full dress rehearsal" for round 1.

We might be reading too much into it but it does sound promising. I've been of the opinion (based on random brain impluses) for a while that we just are not confident yet in Preuss being able to compete for full games. Having him in as a genuine backup I like though, he can learn a lot in a year where we'll be aiming for wins but not devastated if they don't all come our way. Waite can play backline as well if needed when we are too tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back