Training 2019 Training - pics, reports etc

Thought this deserved to be in this thread...

Ok peeps. One to lift the spirits.
Willa is fighting fit, yes he’s gotta watch the diet but he is going to be cherry ripe for 2019.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
I'm confident our young guys will begin hitting targets consistently as they get stronger to buy more time and the natural composure that comes with experience. They're all skilled footballers with strong pedigrees.

Otherwise, we're ******.
We drafted specifically on kicking ability the last few years so as you say with game time and size it will come together. I'm not worried I think we have some great kicks coming through.

Jan 20, 2008
Bullengarook
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t think Kennedy had much preseason then did ankle in round 1 that eventually required surgery. Played with pain all season & had some good stats in some games. Hopefully his end of season surgery went well & he’s rehabing towards a full preseason. Kennedy is important to play similar style big body bulldozer in the middle when Cripps goes forward for a rest. Need those big bulls getting the ball out for fish, Dow & sps to use their pace.
Spoke with matt at the B&F. His ankle did require surgery after the round 1 injury but he played out the year. His rehab is going well & his ankle is fine, will start running in about a week, meantime he’s been swimming/bike riding. Think we’ll get to see a lot more from Matt as he gets to learn from the best contested midfielder in Cripps.

murphster

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Steelers,Dodgers,Casey Stoner
Don’t think Kennedy had much preseason then did ankle in round 1 that eventually required surgery. Played with pain all season & had some good stats in some games. Hopefully his end of season surgery went well & he’s rehabing towards a full preseason. Kennedy is important to play similar style big body bulldozer in the middle when Cripps goes forward for a rest. Need those big bulls getting the ball out for fish, Dow & sps to use their pace.
Yeah I think your spot on about Kennedy, never really got going, minimal preseason then ankle which was mismanaged, also I think he was carrying a bit to much weight compared to the year before plus ankle which didn't help with his burst speed from contests. If you watch him the year before was definitely lighter and quicker, not sure whether the weight gain was intentional to try to help with his inside contested work but either way it didn't work and needs to drop weight over preseason. Russell will get him cherry ripe for Rd1. Expect a big lift from Kennedy in 2019 to lighten Crippsload.

Space Cadet

All Australian
Feb 24, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Good Question.
I like the idea of him in the midfield may be sitting at the back to sling shot play, although that is what Doc would be great at as well.
Yeah I'm thinking onball or HB are the options. Hopefully he's allowed to just focus on one position to lock down.
A big preseason and he can still play an important role in the team I think.

Blubagger71

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm excited to see how an industry expert shapes the development of our guys. Russell"s acquisition is timed well given the kids are back already and the preseason kicks in soon.
In terms of our reset, Russell's contribution will take a year or two to truly kick in. I remember thinking the Hawks just looked bigge and more able to dish out and deal with relentless pressure. This will take time to build.
Lean muscle mass into SPS.
Improve JSOS general athleticism and size.
Get some legs under Harry.
Leaner Bam.
Build the resilience of Weiters.
Help keen Kreuz and Murphy on the park.
Plow and Marchy bashing and intercepting down back without the risk of injury at every contest.
Tank on Pickett.
And get C Curnow a tank ffs, kidding!
Can't wait to see the pics of these guys working at the cutting edge and paying off in the coming season.

Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Do we have any idea what role JSOS will be training for this preseason? 3rd forward seems ruled out now.

Interesting to see what AR can do with him

Honestly, i think he may end up playing a whole lot of VFL, and being used as a utility. Start on the ball, rotate forward at times, drop back when we need the extra defender. His best chance is to become a versatile run-with type who can match up on a few different opposition types. Simon White with better disposal.

Mr_Plow

That name again...
May 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Wings
Screenshot_20181019-111109.png

Will settling in with Kennedy and Williamson.

What I'd like to see;

1. A small, or better still, non-existent rehab group. (Should be 1, 2, 3.....)
2. Weitering crashing packs.
3. McKay now capable of holding his ground not just against one, but two opponents.
4. Fisher with a little extra weight and muscle on him.
5. Petrevski-Seton fully fit.
6. Williamson smiling for having put his issues behind him.
7. Setterfield twisting and turning in stoppage drills
8. Dow again embarrassing a few for his commitment for the ball.
9. Cripps and Docherty to control the players in a way that players haven't been used to.
10. Jones to enter beast mode MII

Plenty more of course, but this wouldn't be a bad start point.

Aug 24, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
If done properly actually strengthens your wrists, once upon a time was a black belt..
I don't believe you ever have your black belt revoked. At least not anywhere I've trained.

There are far safer ways to strengthen your wrists that don't involve your entire body weight coming down on your wrist in a compromising position. Bench, various overhead presses, grip work, wrist curls, etc. I would challenge you to find a strength and conditioning coach worth their salt that would prescribe knuckle push ups as a sensible way to strength wrists.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back