Preview Pre-season practice: GWS v Sydney Swans, 6 pm Friday 25 February 2022 @ Lavington Sports Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
I reckon Riccardi was the most impressive in the first 4 for me, has added to his game a bit and competed well as the relieving ruck
If the Riccardi breakout/development is real I think this really changes the ceiling of this team, when Hogans fit we have 2 guys (in theory) capable of taking contested marks and being a leading target for the midfield plus Toby, however without him we're just crossing our fingers hoping Hogan doesn't get injured especially in these first 5 games cause we'd be in real tricky spot without either of Toby or Hogan. Now this way if Hogan is injured or managed we sort of have someone that can theoratically step in his place although likely won't be as good, but the structure still remains the same and a dramatic change in gameplan isn't needed. Also a Riccardi/Hogan duo puts less pressure on HH to be a big marking forward which he's okay at but is certainly not one of his strengths thought he pushed up the ground a bit more yesterday and we saw some real nice set up kicks from him for others. Very difficult to see if the Riccardi breakout is real or not based off a fake practice game but to see him do it early in the game against the Swans stronger side is really encouraging.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Both teams fielded strong squads, although most first-choice stars were replaced by younger players for the fifth and sixth periods.

"Whilst it was a practice game, our guys came with the right intent to play the right way," GIANTS assistant coach Steve Johnson told AAP.

"I thought we tackled with real vigour. We've been working hard on our defence."

Stephen Coniglio and Tim Taranto were prolific through the middle for the GIANTS, while Lachie Whitfield's kicking from half-back helped his side move the ball quickly.

Forwards Bobby Hill, Jesse Hogan, Harry Himmelberg and Jake Riccardi stepped up in co-captain Toby Greene's absence, all kicking multiple goals.

Riccardi was particularly impressive, with his strong marking and three goals a highlight.

"We need him to compete hard in the air and he did that really well tonight," Johnson said.

Former West Coast player Jarrod Brander also showed promise, kicking five goals in his first outing as a GIANTS player, albeit some against weaker opposition after coming on in the third period.

Veteran GIANTS defender Phil Davis shut Franklin out well, winning a number of one-on-one contests and limiting the star forward's impact.

Very impressive. Looks like he has added some size which will hold him in good stead as KPF and backup ruck.
Honestly thought he was Hogan at several times given the stream quality, which suggests how broad he's built up to.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
Based on this hit out would have to think Flynn is clearly our number 1 ruck and are likely to go with a 3rd key forward in Riccardi instead of a second ruck.
Stone and O’Halloran both look like locks. While it was clearly junk time Callaghan is a very smooth mover and can see him playing between 3-10 senior games this year and a lock for best 22 next year.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Encouraging first hit out against a side close to full strength..Anyone know anymore about Hoppers absence.Heard knee.Minor?
IIRC, it was mentioned as some soreness after an off-season knee op. I don't recall mention at the time of it, so presumably it was relatively minor, perhaps just a bit of a clean up that often happens.

Otherwise, still the Pies game to go, but certainly the Swans trial indicates Riccardi is firmly in the thinking to be the third forward, and take the relief ruck role. I've been in the camp with Flynn as the third forward/relief ruck, but he seems more likely to be the first choice ruck, and Riccardi showed pretty good promise. I'd certainly be happy to see that. Hogan - Himmelberg - Riccardi could be a solid combo. Hogan will have to rest through the season, so likely opportunities for Brander and possibly Briggs. But I do like the firepower that would seem to come with a Hogan-Riccardi pairing.

Hill-Stone-? as the small/medium forwards. No Bruhn last night, Peatling played essentially with the seconds. Lloyd was out there in the early quarters, so clearly remains an option for the Best 22.

PaythePerryman

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2020
AFL Club
GWS
IIRC, it was mentioned as some soreness after an off-season knee op. I don't recall mention at the time of it, so presumably it was relatively minor, perhaps just a bit of a clean up that often happens.

Otherwise, still the Pies game to go, but certainly the Swans trial indicates Riccardi is firmly in the thinking to be the third forward, and take the relief ruck role. I've been in the camp with Flynn as the third forward/relief ruck, but he seems more likely to be the first choice ruck, and Riccardi showed pretty good promise. I'd certainly be happy to see that. Hogan - Himmelberg - Riccardi could be a solid combo. Hogan will have to rest through the season, so likely opportunities for Brander and possibly Briggs. But I do like the firepower that would seem to come with a Hogan-Riccardi pairing.

Hill-Stone-? as the small/medium forwards. No Bruhn last night, Peatling played essentially with the seconds. Lloyd was out there in the early quarters, so clearly remains an option for the Best 22.
I agree with you about the talls in the forward line.
Ricca looks like a strong marking no 2 option. Opens things up for Himmel.
I have been harping on about Stone all off season. I'm backing him in to be he's to replace when Toby comes back and probably steals that spot off Lloyd.
Bobby is looking fired up. I like it. We just need one more small forward option. I think it's gonna have to be Bruhn with us investing in cogs as a full time mid.
Once he comes back from the corkie in his hip I think Bruhn will be a tough nut this year.
Callaghan looked in control late but I wanna see him play in a a proper hit out soon.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Haynes Davis Cumming
Perryman Taylor Whitfield
XOH Cogs Ash
Taranto Riccardi HH
Hill Hogan Stone

Flynn Hopper Kelly

DeBoer Lloyd Idun Ward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
I agree with you about the talls in the forward line.
Ricca looks like a strong marking no 2 option. Opens things up for Himmel.
I have been harping on about Stone all off season. I'm backing him in to be he's to replace when Toby comes back and probably steals that spot off Lloyd.
Bobby is looking fired up. I like it. We just need one more small forward option. I think it's gonna have to be Bruhn with us investing in cogs as a full time mid.
Once he comes back from the corkie in his hip I think Bruhn will be a tough nut this year.
Callaghan looked in control late but I wanna see him play in a a proper hit out soon.
When did Bruhn get the corkie?

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Dont think MdB makes it

Green gotta be a lock this year .... although MdB might have a role on occasion
Anyone know why Taylor missed.?.Backs were good and team defence was solid in limiting the way Swans change there angles.We should make it difficult aerially especially with Taylor back and to score in general .Especially if Papley misses

Anyone know why Taylor missed.?.Backs were good and team defence was solid in limiting the way Swans change there angles.We should make it difficult aerially especially with Taylor back and to score in general .Especially if Papley misses
Taylor has a facial injury from last week’s match sim, so think they were just resting him

The Kings Ransom

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Some nice surprises:
Keeffe is a very welcome addition… even if it is depth or injury cover early on.
Riccardi took some pack marks and played his role well.
Cogs is back to his old self.
Preuss was dominant while he was on… watch his ruck work closely… got into position and couldn’t be moved.
Don’t forget Hopper and Taylor didn’t play.
Barring the small forward role… competition for spots is hot.
Who plays the small forward role.
Hill / Stone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back