Preview Pre-season practice: GWS v Sydney Swans, 6 pm Friday 25 February 2022 @ Lavington Sports Ground

Remove this Banner Ad

I was pretty firmly in the camp as Flynn being third tall/ruck but man he looked so so good in the ruck the otherday and I thought he pretty comfortably outplayed whoever they were throwing at him in the ruck, looks like he's taken a step forward over the off-season. Gives us some nice flexibility to be able to rotate Riccardi and Flynn up forward and threw the rucks.

If the Riccardi breakout/development is real I think this really changes the ceiling of this team, when Hogans fit we have 2 guys (in theory) capable of taking contested marks and being a leading target for the midfield plus Toby, however without him we're just crossing our fingers hoping Hogan doesn't get injured especially in these first 5 games cause we'd be in real tricky spot without either of Toby or Hogan. Now this way if Hogan is injured or managed we sort of have someone that can theoratically step in his place although likely won't be as good, but the structure still remains the same and a dramatic change in gameplan isn't needed. Also a Riccardi/Hogan duo puts less pressure on HH to be a big marking forward which he's okay at but is certainly not one of his strengths thought he pushed up the ground a bit more yesterday and we saw some real nice set up kicks from him for others. Very difficult to see if the Riccardi breakout is real or not based off a fake practice game but to see him do it early in the game against the Swans stronger side is really encouraging.

Brander went alright too. 5 goals must put his hand up a little bit

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brander went alright too. 5 goals must put his hand up a little bit

It was good to see, and shows he has skills. But was on during the second phase of the game (which to me indicates he's behind others in the KPF race) and kicked 4 of the 5 in the 5th & 6th quarters, when the opposition was more junior and - at 16 & 12-a-side - the game more open.

HH has never really been that strong, pack-busting, marking forward. More the elusive, gap-finding forward. Not really surprised by your observation.
He's been his best when he's had a license to roam. He's regressed whenever he's had to play an at-home FF or any kind of marking target. He's actually a good-great contested mark, but none when he's the target.

Hi guys dream team related question.
I see cogs back to running a muck in the middle will he stay there with Greene out for the first couple of rnds? Cheers and good luck 👍

Hi guys dream team related question.
I see cogs back to running a muck in the middle will he stay there with Greene out for the first couple of rnds? Cheers and good luck 👍
I think we will get a better idea at Sunday's game against Collingwood.

We can guess though. I would be guessing he will be playing mostly midfield minutes with us opting to rotate Tom Green, Tim Taranto and Bruhn forward instead.

We can guess though. I would be guessing he will be playing mostly midfield minutes with us opting to rotate Tom Green, Tim Taranto and Bruhn forward instead.
If he gets back to his best it will be massive for you guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It truly would be. With Taranto and Hopper entering their prime and Ash and Tom Green elevating to the next level.
Callaghan and Bruhn as 1st/2nd year players....our midfield, led by vets of Ward/cogs/Kelly should be a FORCE for the next few years.
Just need our forwards to find some form.

He adds some burst and shiftiness that we can miss sometimes with having all the big powerful bodies in there, has a complete game as a midfielder running both ways, find the ball inside, able to kick goals, also a good hit up option in space to help chains moving down the field. So excited for him.

This is my best guess as well.

I don’t think they will play Tobes on Sunday. Would be silly to really. He needs to keep up his fitness but sadly not it the team structure for a while

I don’t think they will play Tobes on Sunday. Would be silly to really. He needs to keep up his fitness but sadly not it the team structure for a while

Pretty sure Leon, or maybe Stevie J on radio, has already said they won’t be playing Tobes as they don’t want to risk him and they need to plan for the 1st 5 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back