Game Day Pre-Season R1 v. Fitzroy (also Review Thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually thought that Mayes given less game time than the majority was very serviceable and solid every time he went near the ball, didn’t shirk a contest and used the ball well.
Very handy player to have in the squad imo, if he plays, you know he will at least use the ball well and if he doesn’t he’s wicked depth in a team short of good ball users.

Defence

I was okay with Bonner in defence. Made his customary holding the ball * up but he’s always going to do that. Brisbane seemed to have a hard time of moving it down the field so he must have been doing his job. Watts is still a better long term intercepting CHB than McKenzie though, even though I liked Trent's game and it means that Jack can get himself right.

Burton, Hartlett and Byrne-Jones were the stand outs - Hartlett having the confidence in his body to push forward like we know he can changes his game. Positioning seems key in this system which is probably why Garner isn't getting picked at the moment.

Clurey and Jonas just did what they do. Lienert is still prone to rubbish decision making under pressure.

Midfield

Ladhams worked into the game against Martin - Martin isn't that great a ruck and uses his mobility to get around the ground, so he's pretty much what Ladhams will become if he doesn't improve his ruckwork. He conceded 5 frees though, so I'm probably sticking him in the SANFL against everyone but teams that have a poor/developing ruck division.

Rocky didn't have his best game but if he keeps bringing 20 possessions, 6 clearances and 4 tackles from 62% game time to every game, he stays in the team.

Houston reminds me of a young Boak in the midfield - the sort of player people will look at when he gets selected as AA for the first time and go 'Who?'

While they didn't disgrace themselves and will be acceptable replacements if the need arises, you can see the difference between Amon and Duursma vs Mayes and Farrell in that wing role. They don't get as involved as much in link up play.

Attack

Motlop just played himself into R1.

Rozee and Butters picked up where they left off last year and actually look better.

It's amazing what being fully fit does to the confidence of Charlie Dixon. Didn't have a problem getting up the ground when he needed to and was always a threat.

Georgiades was lively and a point of difference. Ditto Powell-Pepper - I think forward/mid suits him a lot better because he's got the attitude towards getting after the ball that you need. Just like Motlop, I didn't have him in my R1 team when everyone was fit but he's in it now.

Westhoff had your typical Westhoff game when he's playing in the forward line.

Which brings me to Marshall. Let's face facts - he was rubbish. I've never seen a player's first disposal determine how well he plays the way like Todd does. Took a great grab and then as soon as he scrubbed that kick I knew he was going to go missing for most of the game. I'm still playing him R1, but people need to lay off the weed if they think he's the difference between winning and losing any game at the moment. He doesn't command his area the way a key forward needs to.

The only player worse than Marshall in the forward line was Cox. He did one good thing all game as far as I can remember. Put Robbie in that position and you'd see the forward line open up even more.

Ball Movement

Notable urgency in moving the ball. No as much hesitation in decision making where you were thinking 'FFS, someone give him an option!' And most of the time the decisions were good - I don't remember any ridiculous turnovers that weren't a result of general play pressure. An actual notable use of the corridor with a number of players providing the options necessary to make it work.

Skills

Brisbane was more ready for the initial contest than we were, but that comes from playing finals and wanting a redemption story. As the game wore on, the heat faded and our skills improved. I don’t believe playing 26 players to 22 for a half made that much difference - it’s the beginning of the season, not the end of it.

Conclusion

A solid hit out. A number of things to tidy up, but holding any team 98-76 is good no matter the stakes of the game. You’re just looking for excuses to be negative if you think otherwise.

It is what it is, and what it is is a pre season game. We played well, but obviously it comes with an asterisk.

What was impressive was the ball movement. Definitely cleaner and a bit smarter, with the sample size we have at the moment compared to last year. Last year was all about play what you see, this was play what you see within reason. I liked the desire to move the ball quickly but tending towards going down the corridor. We only went real wide when it was smart to do so. Was good to see.

The skills were neither here nor there. We were a bit cleaner with our hands. The kicking was a bit haphazard, but how much was due to the blustery conditions in the first 3 quarters I guess we will find out soon.

Overall we look a better side when Dixon is out there and in form. He played well. Yes Marshall struggled, but it also cleared space for Dixon to do Dixon things. MG helped in that regard as well. Motlop pulls one out of the box. But then he started last year on fire as well and faded quickly. I'll reserve judgement on him.

Was hoping for more from Farrell. Cox couldn't get into it. Ladhams struggled to get into it early, but improved.

Hartlett very impressive with his attack on the football. Loved it. Rozee and Duursma continue on from last years form. Good to see. Butters very clever. SPP was impressive with his attack. Boak being Boak.

Good to start with a win!

Player Reviews:
Boak - Starts the year off with a bang with 18 CP and 11 Clearances. Was the main mid stopping NealeFest 2020, worked hard in the clinches and was pretty clean with the ball. Very good game.

Dixon - A good battle with Andrews. Harris had plenty of spoils but Charlie ending with 4.3 from just 3 marks was a pretty good sign. Moving freely, running strongly. Looked good.

SPP - Loved his tackle in the forward line leading to Butters goal. Spread well, ran hard, found plenty of the ball. Once again just needs to settle a bit with it before disposing of it. Should have kicked at least one himself.

Motlop - Well, 20 minutes of madness in that 3rd/4th blew the game apart. We'd all love him to do that most weeks. We all know it won't happen. But, if he's fitter, then he absolutely has a part to play in this side in Round 1.

Houston - Bit of a mixed bag really. He looks so smooth in the middle and his second half was pretty good. Thought he was bad early. Bad. You don't really associate Houston with that word, but he was. Could win the BnF this year.

Rozee - 19 touches, 2 goals, moments of brilliance, off the ground for 20 minutes. Had it all today. Looks super clean.

Westhoff - Yeah, not sure about his game. Thought he rucked pretty well for a change, but other than that, just didn't look all that into the game. Not sure where he fits this year.

Duursma - Gut running at its best. Presented all day, rewarded with 2 goals. Looks fit and ready.

Ladhams - Whilst he was getting his hands on the ball early, he just wasn't able to find his midfielders at all. This improved as the game went on. Thought he was alright around the ground. Need to persist as there is gold there.

Hartlett - Through himself in time and time again. Thought his kicking was wayward through the first half, but improved in the second. Solid as a rock across half back. That's the floor that I want to see from Hammer this year. I want this to be his worst game.

Rockliff - Accumulated well, was ok in the middle. Was a totally fine, inoffensive performance.

Amon - Really good in the first half, had his moments through the second half, but felt they tightened up on him a bit.

DBJ - Looking more like peak Fiacchi every pre season. With the hair and the way he plays. Was good. Didn't do much wrong.

Burton - Was one of many down back who contested well throughout the game without really doing a whole lot with the ball. The ball wasn't down there much after half time.

Jonas - See Burton

Bonner - Didn't mind his game. Shaky start but grew into it. Had some good moments for sure.

Butters - So clever with the ball. Thinks quickly and delivers accurately. Like Hammer, I'd love this to be his lower standard this year.

Mayes - Another who jsut did what he had to do, which wasn't a whole lot, but he linked up well across half back and the wing and used the ball well. Interested to see where he fits this year and how far down the pecking order he is.

Ebert - A couple of good moments, a nice goal, a strong tackle, but overall just didn't really provide much. Not sure what his role can be this year.

Lienert - See Burton. Didn't do a lot, but did well when he went near it. Would rather him in the side than Westhoff at this point.

Farrell - Needs to slot his chances. 10 touches but barely noticed him.

Marshall - Moved well but needs to attack the ball more. I've said my opinion on Todd plenty over the last 12 months. He has to start doing more. But, he did open up space for others. Have to persist.

Georgiades - Really should have kicked a goal from his mark. Moved well, was lively around the ball. Good first outing

McKenzie - Tried to kick the cover off it a few times and clanged it. Wasn't bad.

Clurey - Hipwood got away from him early but was better as the game went on

Cox - A couple of nice gives with his hands but over than that looked nowhere near it

Nope fun game but our defense is going to get killed this year , 10th finish on the cards but in a more enjoyable way
21 goals to 20 goals games then.

Few positive signs of improvement today but a lot of familiar signs too with the fumbles in close and goal kicking.

Early days. As bad as the commentary was the one thing I agreed with is the first 3 rounds will say a lot about how the season may unfold.
Was the commentary bad? I thought it was pretty decent. Enjoyed Jonathan Brown having a more prominent role, and it was clear he'd done his homework on his subject matter of expertise (the forward line), was well educated on all our forwards, even Georgiades.

Something else they'd done their research on was our horrible forward entry conversion.

If we kicked into the wind every game last year we'd have probably made finals, it actually forced us to move the ball forward thoughtfully rather than Hinkleyballing it long to the pocket every entry.

I would love him to be pulling down marks and kicking goals, but you know who is doing that? His partner in crime.

Every time I see Marshall when we go forward, everyone is seeing him not mark it, you know what I’m seeing, I’m seeing his opponent, making zero play on the ball only trying to block Marshall.

Who was Marshall’s direct opponent? Cause I never saw him take 1 Mark in that 50.

Was there a loose back taking marks in front of Dixon and Marshall?

As far as I’m concerned Marshall could kick 0 goals for 2020, if we’re not giving up record breaking intercept marks that we were, and Dixon is monstering his opponent one out, then he’s doing his job. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

Until Dixon retires it’s his forward line and Marshall is a cog in a machine that works when he is there.
Yeah but does Ken Hinkley see Marshall that way?

Was the commentary bad? I thought it was pretty decent. Enjoyed Jonathan Brown having a more prominent role, and it was clear he'd done his homework on his subject matter of expertise (the forward line), was well educated on all our forwards, even Georgiades.

Something else they'd done their research on was our horrible forward entry conversion.

If we kicked into the wind every game last year we'd have probably made finals, it actually forced us to move the ball forward thoughtfully rather than Hinkleyballing it long to the pocket every entry.

JB also said Sam Gray was still part of our forward line so not sure how much homework he did!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s nice to go to work on a Monday after a win, even if it’s preseason....

Brisbane were a little kissed last year, a soft draw (as they finished bottom 4 in 2018) and no injuries (half their team played the whole season, how many did that at Ports?). I think they had an over inflated ladder position last year and will come down a little. (Nothing like what Melbourne did, expect to see them 5-8 this year)

At half time Brisbane also changed out 4 players, so it’s hard to get a read on the game. They played a flat 22, Port played 26, with higher rotations. I do think this had a massive influence on the game

But I did see enough to see Port’s improvement over the preseason. Hopefully they will take this into the season actual.

Can't believe how many people are falling for Dixon and especially Motlop. It's almost like we don't have 9 and 10 years respectively worth of evidence to suggest that these guys will as a matter of fact let us down when we actually need them to perform. Both of their games were largely meaningless to me.

Really happy with the form of Rozee, Butters and Duursma. All three look set to replicate what they were able to do last year. Butters may in fact take a big step - a second pre season looks to have done him the world of good, he looks noticeably stronger and fitter than last year.

Amon also continuing his form from last year. Very encouraging.

Georgiades has already gone past Marshall. He's raw but he actually competes and looks dangerous, unlike Marshall who increasingly looks unlikely to make it at the level.

When was the last time Motlop was skinny in February? Dixon has had an infinitely better preseason than any time at the club and looked far and away the most dangerous forward going around over the weekends games.

Georgiades for a skinny kid whos played 2 competitive games in 18 months is terrific and will go past a lot of players fairly quickly. Only 3 quarters so obviously still managing him. Marshall has a quiet game so what? He's just as likely to kick 3-4 next week.

I liked the ball movement. Hopefully they stick to "the runway" and don't revert back to the chippy chippy half back style when the real stuff starts.

Im a bit in that boat also, I like him and want him in the side come round 1 this year, but i want him to deserve to be in the side.

There is no doubt he has had a hard run, a very hard run, but going into his 4th year on the list its time to start showing us why his team mates and coaches have been raving about him and step us and show it at AFL level and not rely on other people telling us how good he is...SHOW US !

Or even at SANFL level when he's there, because if where honest he wasn't nearly as good as Billy at SANFL level last year.

That by no means means he shouldn't be allowed to have quite patches (because of course he will) and shouldn't be persisted with in between (because he should) but he needs to show us how good he can be. He has the U23 game and Marsh game 2 to make up for today and demand Round 1 selection, going of todays game you couldn't say he deserves to play round 1.

They are facts, clearly we are better with a second key forward. Without question we cant rely on Dixon being the only target, but over the years how many times did others get that opportunity ? Billy for example (given he was clearly the much better key forward at SANFL level last year) ?

This year Marshall has Georgiadies competing for the same spot, today he attacked the ball in the air far harder then Marshall did and found more of the ball from less time on ground.

Marshall needs to prove they we are better off with him in the side then Georgiadies and/or a second ruck.
i'm happy for him to be there but you have to ask yourself why isnt he getting more of the ball, i suspect its because he lacks work rate, i dont mean just covering the ground, i mean grinding out your opponent till you are free for the short lead, or you do get behind them in open space to score. About 60 percent of you possessions should come through pure work rate, we dont see that easy possession because he allows himself to be under the pump from the defender on his tail.

As pointed out not Riccuito or Dermie levels, but could tell they had little interest in the game itself and had pregame points they wanted to cover. Felt like they had a job of trying to sell some belief for 2020. As a result often got the free wrong despite umps being miked up, calling Ebert Dixon made me laugh but not as much as the Sam Gray reference.

Given we follow Ports a lot closer than them I suppose I’m expecting too much.

As pointed out not Riccuito or Dermie levels, but could tell they had little interest in the game itself and had pregame points they wanted to cover. Felt like they had a job of trying to sell some belief for 2020. As a result often got the free wrong despite umps being miked up, calling Ebert Dixon made me laugh but not as much as the Sam Gray reference.

I think it's reasonable that they had a focus on the season ahead and reviewing some of what happened the season before.
Hudson is a fairly safe bet as a commentator IMO, and although he over-analyses things, King brings some thought to the discussion.

When our standard commentating is generally along the lines of.....

"Yeeeeahhhh I mean it's not a bad goal 45 metres out checkside on the boundary line and it's brought the scorress level but I just have to go back to 12 minutes ago when Port was given a free kick that just waaaasn't there and then another time 20 minutes agooo I'm sure there was aaanother free kick that wasn't called for the ooother team and Port's been luuuucky today even though the freeee kick count is 26-8 agaaainst them all the kicks for the opposition have beeeen there but nooone of Port's eight freee kicks have been there and ohhh someone's scored again....."

or...

"Yeah they've done really well today without their star players Chad Wingard and Ollie Wines not being there, this new player Tom Clurey has been good down back is this his first game?"

A win is a win regardless of whether it's a preseason game, not sure brisvegas are going anywhere with their bring it to the boundary game style though, I won't be greatly surprised if last season's top 8 finish may have flattered them a tad.

I liked our endeavour and more centralised game plan, but there is still way too much of the kick it high to a pack when entering the forward 50, but that could be as much to do with our taller forwards grouping together too much and seldom anyone coming towards the ball carrier to provide a better option.

The key to better forward patterns will probably be how Marshall and/or Georgiades work with Dixon.
It's arguably going to be Marshalls make or break year, and although there is a lot to like about MG he is very lightly framed at this stage and although it definitely appears the talent is there I suspect he will struggle against the bigger bodies as the season progresses.
Another preseason and 5 kegs and we may have a player.

It was horrendous, they even called Ebert, Dixon when he was lining up.
As usual they had zero clue about anything going on at Port and their assessment for the teams for the whole year depended solely on the score in the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back