Opinion Pre-Season Reports - Houses collapse everywhere due to volume & intensity of training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My exams finish tomorrow morning, so I'm hoping to get down to training on Friday if they have one - anyone else thinking of this?

We have games on Friday night... Would they have full training on game day? I think not... Maybe Thursday morning if not tomorrow.

We have games on Friday night... Would they have full training on game day? I think not... Maybe Thursday morning if not tomorrow.
10.00 am today according to website.Would recommend getting down if able as the improvement in training standard is tangable and should at least give hope we are improving.

Just listened to the Triple M prematch talking about a kid they picked up from Sth Croydon.

My husband made a joke "I wonder if it's Jonesy' and he was referring to a kid who wired up our house 2 years ago, and who often wore his Sth Croydon footy club tank top.

When they just said his surname was Jones, I had to look him up on your club website.

It is him, what a great story. Was a lovely young guy, worked with his Dad and was a really hard working sparky.

Didn't give up on playing on the AFL, good for him. :thumbsu:

Will especially tune in tonight to watch him go about it.

Just listened to the Triple M prematch talking about a kid they picked up from Sth Croydon.

My husband made a joke "I wonder if it's Jonesy' and he was referring to a kid who wired up our house 2 years ago, and who often wore his Sth Croydon footy club tank top.

When they just said his surname was Jones, I had to look him up on your club website.

It is him, what a great story. Was a lovely young guy, worked with his Dad and was a really hard working sparky.

Didn't give up on playing on the AFL, good for him. :thumbsu:

Will especially tune in tonight to watch him go about it.
Any circuits shorting? Not sure he would be too keen to come back out and fix it!
Nah he does look like a good depth player and have heard great reports about his character. Finally starting to weed out the 'cancers' at the club. Thanks for your feedback and good luck to your mob.

Anyone down at the training today?
I popped down this morning. Not a lot to report with the exception that both Mitch Clark and Jack Trengove were out on the track doing plenty of sprints and that despite strong winds disposal was really quite good.
More than happy to answer any questions if able.

Someone on Demonland who was at training today commented that Clark and Trengove were back in full training. :thumbsu:

Any other information regarding training today? I'd rather not have to venture over there if I can help it...

file.php

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Travelled down to Gosch's Paddock this morning and arrived just as players were completing warm-ups.
Couple of encouraging notes being Clark,Trengove,Gawn,Dawes,Viney,Kent and Blease all participating in either full training or in running drills and all looked ready or not far away and all seemed to be moving freely however TMac only competed a few laps very slowly and was not moving like someone with a minor injury.
Apart from that we would seem to have almost a full list and training was of a pretty good standard with plenty of banter and a really high intensity.
We are definitely fitter than previous seasons and our run and spread while still needing work is markedly improved however our disposal is still lacking. This was shown up most at the end of training when Dave Hughes turned up for a TV segment. He donned a helmet and stood about 35 metres from the group who took it in turns to kick at him from this distance,resulting in the entire playing group completely missing the target, not one hit and in some cases missing him by 10 - 15 metres. For professional footballers to miss a static target from this distance under no pressure probably explains a lot about why we are where we are, but all in all I go into this season at least feeling that we have started moving in the right direction.
Any enquiries about today's training are welcome.

This was shown up most at the end of training when Dave Hughes turned up for a TV segment. He donned a helmet and stood about 35 metres from the group who took it in turns to kick at him from this distance,resulting in the entire playing group completely missing the target, not one hit and in some cases missing him by 10 - 15 metres. For professional footballers to miss a static target from this distance under no pressure probably explains a lot about why we are where we are, but all in all I go into this season at least feeling that we have started moving in the right direction.
Any chance this was a joke, i.e. they were told to miss him?

Travelled down to Gosch's Paddock this morning and arrived just as players were completing warm-ups.
Couple of encouraging notes being Clark,Trengove,Gawn,Dawes,Viney,Kent and Blease all participating in either full training or in running drills and all looked ready or not far away and all seemed to be moving freely however TMac only competed a few laps very slowly and was not moving like someone with a minor injury.
Apart from that we would seem to have almost a full list and training was of a pretty good standard with plenty of banter and a really high intensity.
We are definitely fitter than previous seasons and our run and spread while still needing work is markedly improved however our disposal is still lacking. This was shown up most at the end of training when Dave Hughes turned up for a TV segment. He donned a helmet and stood about 35 metres from the group who took it in turns to kick at him from this distance,resulting in the entire playing group completely missing the target, not one hit and in some cases missing him by 10 - 15 metres. For professional footballers to miss a static target from this distance under no pressure probably explains a lot about why we are where we are, but all in all I go into this season at least feeling that we have started moving in the right direction.

That's harder than it looks. 35m is a decent distance to hit something as small as a person. In a game when you see a "pin point accurate" pass. It's no doubt a good kick but the marker on the other end of it no doubt has moved to some degree to get to the ball.

That's harder than it looks. 35m is a decent distance to hit something as small as a person. In a game when you see a "pin point accurate" pass. It's no doubt a good kick but the marker on the other end of it no doubt has moved to some degree to get to the ball.
No pressure, nobody on the mark, no hits, no good.

From memory there was a similar challenge recently with coke cans on the goal posts. Can't remember Melbourne doing it but there were some absolute shocking attempts. I noticed you mentioned Kent in the group of players carrying some degree of injury. Do you know what his concern is. Cheers for the write up!

From memory there was a similar challenge recently with coke cans on the goal posts. Can't remember Melbourne doing it but there were some absolute shocking attempts. I noticed you mentioned Kent in the group of players carrying some degree of injury. Do you know what his concern is. Cheers for the write up!
Yes similar challenge but bigger target.
Kent was in the injured group but was completing his running drills with no apparent discomfort. Not sure of his injury but would seem to be moving freely now, was only a matter of meters away from this group and was surprised at how solidly built Kent is.
He is a big Kent.

Based on the results of the Dave Hughes challenge, let's give the season away.:rolleyes: This challenge is no different to attempting to kick a footy into a wheelie bin from 35 metres, which aint easy. As for the Swans coke can challenge, I just watched a clip of it, and they only had to hit the post to knock the can off. Goodes was the only player to hit the can. Why this was brought up in a training report is beyond me.

Touch wood, but injury wise I can't remember us being in such a healthy state leading into round 1. Really wasn't expecting to see Clark or Trengove till rounds 4-6. Just need Blease to commence full training, and we are at full strength.

Based on the results of the Dave Hughes challenge, let's give the season away.:rolleyes: This challenge is no different to attempting to kick a footy into a wheelie bin from 35 metres, which aint easy. As for the Swans coke can challenge, I just watched a clip of it, and they only had to hit the post to knock the can off. Goodes was the only player to hit the can. Why this was brought up in a training report is beyond me.

Touch wood, but injury wise I can't remember us being in such a healthy state leading into round 1. Really wasn't expecting to see Clark or Trengove till rounds 4-6. Just need Blease to commence full training, and we are at full strength.
It was brought up in a training report because it happened during training, and given that 40 professional footballers who are well paid to kick a football couldn't hit a stationary target from 30-35 meters with no pressure on may say something about where we are at and why regards the most basic football skill.
Can't agree more about the injury front and hope this is the start of a decent season injury wise and just on Blease he was clearly the quickest when running the constant sprint drills and was definitely moving freely.

It was brought up in a training report because it happened during training, and given that 40 professional footballers who are well paid to kick a football couldn't hit a stationary target from 30-35 meters with no pressure on may say something about where we are at and why regards the most basic football skill.
Can't agree more about the injury front and hope this is the start of a decent season injury wise and just on Blease he was clearly the quickest when running the constant sprint drills and was definitely moving freely.

I understand your point about the kicking but, seriously, you're making far too much of it. So they couldn't Dave Hughes for a bit of fun? Doesn't worry me in the slightest. I'll be worried when we can't hit a target consistently on the field once the real stuff begins. Until then I'm not putting any stock in what they did with Hughes.

It was originally only mentioned as an aside but kicking well has not really been a strong suit for us for quite some time.
I have mentioned my belief that we are improving our skills in previous posts, and still think that this is an area we are getting better at but need to continue this improvement. How many times have we watched a really great piece of play to get control of the ball only to see it absolutely butchered by poor disposal.
I haven't seen us hit a target consistently on field for the last 5 seasons at least so if we start to hit up targets with gay abandon once the real stuff starts I'll be surprised but chuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back