Opinion Pre-Season Reports - Houses collapse everywhere due to volume & intensity of training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As is my understanding of reading match updates on Demonland, I think they were rotating the AFL players pretty generously and a couple of the boys hit the showers early. Just wanted to get through the game unscathed.

Yer that makes sense, last thing we want is players getting re-injured and what not!

Just got home from Casey and before anyone feels the need to start slashing wrists, don't.
Melbourne's listed players got exactly what was required, a decent hit-out, with all getting through unscathed, except for Fitzpatrick who copped a whack in the eye and Kent who got reported and would be unlucky to miss any.
Viney played well and I felt Blease did pretty well too while Clark and Trengove didn't show any effects from injuries.
Casey may cop some whackings from the better VFL sides as they seem very young and undermanned.
I returned largely upbeat about what Melbourne got out of the hit-out and what it means going in to next week.

Just got home from Casey and before anyone feels the need to start slashing wrists, don't.
Melbourne's listed players got exactly what was required, a decent hit-out, with all getting through unscathed, except for Fitzpatrick who copped a whack in the eye and Kent who got reported and would be unlucky to miss any.
Viney played well and I felt Blease did pretty well too while Clark and Trengove didn't show any effects from injuries.
Casey may cop some whackings from the better VFL sides as they seem very young and undermanned.
I returned largely upbeat about what Melbourne got out of the hit-out and what it means going in to next week.

The one thing to come out of this, to me, is the fact that for the first time in a long time we may have a pretty below par VFL side. I know we will have some young kids and the older guys who can't crack a game down there but the Casey list doesn't seem very strong. Been a while since we had a VFL side that wasn't up and about.

There weren't that many AFL players playing - McKenzie, Viney, Trenners and Mitch were the main ones for us.

The rest were new draftees or new rookies plus Fitzy.

Half the blokes who had clearance to play didn't.

There weren't that many AFL players playing - McKenzie, Viney, Trenners and Mitch were the main ones for us.

The rest were new draftees or new rookies plus Fitzy.

Half the blokes who had clearance to play didn't.

Dominic Barry
Sam Blease
Mitch Clark
Mitchell Clisby
Jack Fitzpatrick
Dean Kent
Tom McDonald
Jordie McKenzie
Nathan Stark
James Strauss
Rory Taggert
Jack Trengove
Josh Tynan
Jack Viney

9 of the 14 played today so I wouldn't say it was half who missed. But I get your point.

Sounds like Fitzy is well and truly out of form at the moment too. The big fella is in big trouble if he can't get going this year.

As someone who went out and watched the boys I'll add my own two cents the the discussion. First of all it's worth noting that Melbourne really didn't have all that many AFL listed players out there. I believe we had, Kent, Clark, Mckenzie, Viney, Blease, Clisby, Taggert, Trengove, and Fitzpatrick. During the normal season we would have about five or six more afl listed players out there and they would have approached the game far differently than the guys out there today.

A lot of focus of our afl players seemed to be on getting the correct minutes into players, making sure the rotations were correct and they only got the amount of game time that they were supposed to. I actually went into the quarter time huddle and the coach really reiterated how important it was to get the rotations and interchange correct. And from watching the players go to and from the ground a lot of the conversation was making sure they were supposed to go out or who was next etc.

Onto the actual game. Make no mistake Casey did have a shocker, there were a lot of turn overs and the disposal of the scorpions was really poor. Port were very impressive for a VFL side though there is no reason they couldn't make another Grand Final this year. Now most of you probably don't care about the Casey players and are more focussed on how the demons do so I'll give you a rundown of what I saw

Taggert: This guy had a really good day, he has some real talent, his speed and endurance was sublime and did some great things off the wing and around half forward. Worked as hard as anyone today. I expect we'll see him debut within the first five rounds

Viney: Had a solid game, was great in the centre on a few occasions he just managed to power through contests shaking any would be tackler around him, with a bit more protection around him he'll really shine. Had a few poor disposals from time to time but always made the effort to redeem them.

Clark: Honestly he played like it was his first game in nine months, he was fairly quiet especially during the first half but if you were worried about his fitness then you'll be happy to know that this guy is still an athletic beast, there were a few moments where he just beat all the opponents around him and held the ball up or moved it out of trouble under supreme pressure. His biggest issue today though were a few brain fades where he was caught napping when the game came his way or when he touched Taggerts kick as it went through the goals. He just needs to get back into the speed of things and he'll be in good shape but those brain fades put a bit of a damper on an otherwise pass mark game for him.

Trengove: I'll be honest I noticed Trengove more on the bench than I did on the field. Seemed to really be going for about 50% game time. Looks leaner, less puppy fat and was faster on the ground. Not sure if he'll be right for round 1 but I reckon the club is happy with what they got out of him today considering his injury.

Blease: Was okay, did some nice things but by no means dominated. Had a couple of great bursts of speed we love aroun CHF and set up Taggerts would be goal that Clark touched.

Fitzpatrick: Did some good things in the ruck, still too slow when it comes to his decision making, needs to improve his kicking. Went down early in the third, seems to be a concussion.

Clisby: saw him pop up a lot seemed to be a real workhorse but not a huge amount of x-factor, very blue collar

Kent: Not the best example of his talent or work ethic tonight but I do like what I saw of him, needs to work on his goal kicking.

Mckenzie: There is a reason this guy gets the coaches award. He's a s**t kick and doesn't have a huge amount of talent but he will go into every contest with no regard for his well being, not sure he'll play round 1, could be in Trengoves boat.

I don't know about anyone else but I was a bit nervy about Clark. Seems he and Trengove got through with no problems and that's all that matters. Could not care less about the result of a Casey practice match.

I don't know about anyone else but I was a bit nervy about Clark. Seems he and Trengove got through with no problems and that's all that matters. Could not care less about the result of a Casey practice match.

Reckon he'll be right for next week, not sure if he'll be back to his best right away but his fitness is as good as anyone, just needs to ease his way back into the game. His movement and decisions were rusty. His skills and athleticism were stellar.

Dominic Barry
Sam Blease
Mitch Clark
Mitchell Clisby
Jack Fitzpatrick
Dean Kent
Tom McDonald
Jordie McKenzie
Nathan Stark
James Strauss
Rory Taggert
Jack Trengove
Josh Tynan
Jack Viney

9 of the 14 played today so I wouldn't say it was half who missed. But I get your point.

Sounds like Fitzy is well and truly out of form at the moment too. The big fella is in big trouble if he can't get going this year.

Haha, yeah - I was just generalizing! Ceebs'ed looking up the exact stats!

Great write-up BL. Stark didn't play though mate. I think you're thinking of Clisby.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dominic Barry
Sam Blease
Mitch Clark
Mitchell Clisby
Jack Fitzpatrick
Dean Kent
Tom McDonald
Jordie McKenzie
Nathan Stark
James Strauss
Rory Taggert
Jack Trengove
Josh Tynan
Jack Viney

Thought the same about Fitz, but not willing to cross him of the list after a meaningless practice match. Does need to lift significantly though.

AFL: Mitch Clark returns to action

MELBOURNE co-captain Jack Trengove and big-man Mitch Clark remain in doubt for round one, while father-son recruit Jack Viney looks likely to debut, after a hit out in the VFL.

Trengove and Clark played three and a half quarters for affiliate side Casey Scorpions in a practice match at Cranbourne on Saturday, but the club is yet to make a call on their availability to take on Port Adelaide.

Both will face fitness tests early in the week, and then it will be a call for match committee ahead of next Sunday's game...

Any hope young Melbourne draftee Dean Kent may have had for an early season debut may have been dashed.

Kent, from Western Australia, will come under scrutiny for a hit late in the first quarter.

Reckon Trengove is more in doubt than Clark. We can keep Clark inside the forward 50 alongside, hopefully, Dawes, and he doesn't need to run all day. Trengove on the other hand would need to be used in the midfield and he simply isn't fit enough yet.

Obviously they have to pull up okay but I'd say Clark is a strong chance.

Reckon Trengove is more in doubt than Clark. We can keep Clark inside the forward 50 alongside, hopefully, Dawes, and he doesn't need to run all day. Trengove on the other hand would need to be used in the midfield and he simply isn't fit enough yet.

Clark was also at least week ahead of Trengove in terms of match-fitness, if I'm reading what Neeld said before today correctly.

Clark was also at least week ahead of Trengove in terms of match-fitness, if I'm reading what Neeld said before today correctly.

Very true. I think Clark has been right to play for a few weeks but they have simply been extra cautious, much the same way they have been with Dawes. I'd expect them both to play next weekend.

I could potentially see both playing next week but Clark would be closer than Trengove. I doubt Mcdonald will play as he couldn't get up this week.

I could potentially see both playing next week but Clark would be closer than Trengove. I doubt Mcdonald will play as he couldn't get up this week.

Agree with that. McDonald might be a week or two away. I still think Gillies, or even Pedersen if they choose, can provide solid coverage down back for a few weeks while McDonald gets himself fit.

Agree with that. McDonald might be a week or two away. I still think Gillies, or even Pedersen if they choose, can provide solid coverage down back for a few weeks while McDonald gets himself fit.

It will be either Gillies or Terlich for mine. Not sure Pederson has earned a spot yet.

Thanks Bluelegs and others. Another dissapointing hit out by the sound of things.

I honestly doubt the Melbourne players gave two shits about winning today, they seemed to have a check list of things to get right for the practice match from the sounds of things, so I'm not all that fussed. On the Casey side of it, if you plan on watching them at all this year I wouldn't have my hopes up, they didn't look to flash at all.

I honestly doubt the Melbourne players gave two shits about winning today, they seemed to have a check list of things to get right for the practice match from the sounds of things, so I'm not all that fussed. On the Casey side of it, if you plan on watching them at all this year I wouldn't have my hopes up, they didn't look to flash at all.
Nah I was referring to the Melbourne players. No one except Viney showed anything today (form-wise or recovery from injury), by the sound of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back