Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2002
who cares
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sacramento Kings
I am interested for your 25 for round 1 of the pre-season comp.

_ F:__ Ronnie Burns __ Wayne Carey __ Brett Burton
HF: __ Andrew McLeod __ Mark Stevens __ Mark Ricciuto
_C: __ Matthew Bode __ Tyson Stenglein __ Michael Doughty
HB: __ Jason Torney __ Ken McGregor __ Ben Hart
_B: __ Nigel Smart __ Nathan Bassett __ Graham John****
1R: __ Rhett Biglands __ Simon Goodwin __ Tyson Edwards

Int: Matthew Clarke __ James Gallagher __ Chris Ladhams
___Ben Marsh ;) __ Brent Reilly __ Ben Rutten

Emg: Martin Mattner __ Trent Hentschel __ James Begley

Any thoughts??????:)

Pretty Good looking side on paper. I'd swap Bode and Burton through wing and pocket.

Also let Roo have a rest and let Mattner have a run.

Think Begley will be a permanent by the end of the year but you may be right for round 1 of the cup.

Isn't it good to have to worry about who to leave out rather than who to bring in?

Originally posted by Stiffy_18

HF: __ Tyson Edwards__ Mark Stevens __ Chris Ladhams
_C: __ Tyson Stenglein __Mark Ricciuto __ Michael Doughty
HB: __ Jason Torney __ Ken McGregor __ Nigel Smart
_B: __Ben Hart__ Nathan Bassett __ Graham John****
1R: __ Rhett Biglands __ Simon Goodwin __ Andrew McLeod

Int: Matthew Clarke __ James Gallagher __ Matthew Bode
___Ben Marsh __ Brent Reilly __ Ben Rutten

Same 24 as you Stiffy. Just a bit of a reshuffle of the deck chairs!!
:)

Tried to get Begley and Mattner in but no room at this stage.

Re: Re: Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

Originally posted by macca23

HF: __ Tyson Edwards__ Mark Stevens __ Chris Ladhams
_C: __ Tyson Stenglein __Mark Ricciuto __ Michael Doughty
HB: __ Jason Torney __ Ken McGregor __ Nigel Smart
_B: __Ben Hart__ Nathan Bassett __ Graham John****
1R: __ Rhett Biglands __ Simon Goodwin __ Andrew McLeod

Int: Matthew Clarke __ James Gallagher __ Matthew Bode
___Ben Marsh __ Brent Reilly __ Ben Rutten

Same 24 as you Stiffy. Just a bit of a reshuffle of the deck chairs!!
:)

Tried to get Begley and Mattner in but no room at this stage.

Matty Bode off the bench, Interesting;)

Re: Re: Re: Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

Matty Bode off the bench, Interesting;)

Yep. IMO Bode would play most of the match - just feed him into the game after the initial edge of pace has gone off the game. I've gone for a tallish but quick centre line to kick off with.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

Yep. IMO Bode would play most of the match - just feed him into the game after the initial edge of pace has gone off the game. I've gone for a tallish but quick centre line to kick off with.

Thats fair enough!!!! I was giving a bit more opportunity to younger players playing through the middle, thats why I had centre line of Bode Stenglein and Doughty

Which ever way you look at it its a pretty good side. We have to blood some new players to take over from Bickley and Smart when they retire.

In your opinion how would Nathan Bassett go as a 3rd tall in our defence???? I am a bit doubtful with him on medium forwards of the same calibre as our own Scotty Welsh.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

Thats fair enough!!!! I was giving a bit more opportunity to younger players playing through the middle, thats why I had centre line of Bode Stenglein and Doughty

Which ever way you look at it its a pretty good side. We have to blood some new players to take over from Bickley and Smart when they retire.

In your opinion how would Nathan Bassett go as a 3rd tall in our defence???? I am a bit doubtful with him on medium forwards of the same calibre as our own Scotty Welsh.

Bassett does a pretty good job on most forwards, but I do think the bigger bulkier ones find him out a bit. The Welsh type could find him out for pace a bit too. That's why Smarty and Hart have been so valuable in mix and matching at times. If Rutten or Bock do make the grade down back, then they too will become part of this mix and matching with Bassett.

You're right that we have to develop a replacement for Smart this year as this will almost certainly be his last year - and that will be hard because there aren't too many backmen of Nigel's size that have his agility, versatility and pace. He's been very very good for a very long time.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pre-Season Round 1 Line - up

You're right that we have to develop a replacement for Smart this year as this will almost certainly be his last year - and that will be hard because there aren't too many backmen of Nigel's size that have his agility, versatility and pace. He's been very very good for a very long time.

I reckon Nathan Bock has the agility, size, versatility and decent pace. He is some 6 cm taller than Nigel but it will take a LONG time for Bock to bulk up enough to hold down a key position. I watched him play a few games on the wing with W-W Torrens and I thought he did pretty well

I haven't really changed my mind since a couple of weeks ago. I would like to see us rotate our experienced players off the bench to keep them fresh (hence Smart, McLeod & Goody on the bench rather than in our starting 18 per normal). Would like Rutten tried as a key defender & Hentschel as a key forward (to rest Carey & Stevens for some of the game). Also, like to see Torney & Stiffy given a run down back, & a shoot-out between our young wingers (ie. Gags, Reilly, Dogga & Mattner) to see who wants Sugar's spot.

B: Bassett, Rutten, Hart
HB: Torney McGregor, Stiffy
C: Gallagher, Riccuito, Reilly
HF: Burton, Stevens, Ladhams
F: Burns, Carey, Bode
R: Biglands, Stenglein, Edwards
I (from): Clarke, Hentschel, Smart, McLeod, Goodwin, Doughty, Mattner

Originally posted by Kane McGoodwin
I haven't really changed my mind since a couple of weeks ago. I would like to see us rotate our experienced players off the bench to keep them fresh (hence Smart, McLeod & Goody on the bench rather than in our starting 18 per normal). Would like Rutten tried as a key defender & Hentschel as a key forward (to rest Carey & Stevens for some of the game). Also, like to see Torney & Stiffy given a run down back, & a shoot-out between our young wingers (ie. Gags, Reilly, Dogga & Mattner) to see who wants Sugar's spot.

No problems with any of the above Kane - in fact I probably prefer it. However I based my selections on what the club has been saying about wanting to get off to a winning start, and being against the Powder I'm assuming they will start with their best side on the oval. I reckon if they do win against the Powder they will experiment a bit more the next week

Is it likely they will try and give the whole list some game time - if fit enough! - during the preseason?

I guess it will depend on whether they are winning and how far they really want to go. I'd like to have a look at all the players under match conditions.

dzm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back