Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Astonishing he looked right at home in his first game being a GF. Consider Finlayson, who had a cracking year, had 1 touch for the day.

I’m hoping we’ll hear after the event that Finlayson played against doctor’s advice because he had a heart murmur, broken toe and strained hammy - because I really rated him as a player and can’t believe he was that insipid.

I’m hoping we’ll hear after the event that Finlayson played against doctor’s advice because he had a heart murmur, broken toe and strained hammy - because I really rated him as a player and can’t believe he was that insipid.
I can't think of any justification for a player who spent 63% ToG to only have one disposal. Despite the terrible team performance I don't know how he could look any of his teammates in the eye after such an insipid individual performance. I expect he'll be torn to shreds in his end of season exit interview.

I formed the idea some time ago he was a spud and every time he did well I would grudgingly think "Oh, just got lucky" or "Playing in a good team" and so in a way his performance in the GF reverted to my expectations. But he is a better player than I give him credit for. Think he just had a bad day along with a lot of his mates.
We probably all have players we think are lucky to be getting regular AFL games. I've never understood for instance the dislike for Castagna.

I formed the idea some time ago he was a spud and every time he did well I would grudgingly think "Oh, just got lucky" or "Playing in a good team" and so in a way his performance in the GF reverted to my expectations. But he is a better player than I give him credit for. Think he just had a bad day along with a lot of his mates.
We probably all have players we think are lucky to be getting regular AFL games. I've never understood for instance the dislike for Castagna.
Personally - I think you were right the first time.

One of the worst GF performances of any player that i can recall.

17 clubs missed a trick with Stack

Can't believe Eagles and Dockers had Marlion Pickett and Tim Kelly playing under their noses for 7-8 years and never took them

Eagles were poised to take Kelly by loading up on early second rounders in the draft where Geelong took him, they just hesitated and have ultimately paid the price for it.

Yeah conservative gets you nowhere. I'm all for the Dayle Garlett risk. No regrets.

If you're using a rookie pick you should be even more inclined to take the gamble.

It's a free shot.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I wonder if Garlett will ever get out and play footy again. Has spent a lot more time in prison and made a lot more mistakes than Marlion ever made.

Those who were making Garlett and Pickett comparisons were a bit off base for mine. Outside of being indigenous players from WA the similarities end pretty quickly. Pickett made mistakes, got his life in order, played many years in the WAFL while living a sober life raising a young family. Garlett got drafted despite his already rocky past - pissed away his chance quickly and then got into a deep life of crime and drug addiction. There is no 'risk' in picking someone like Pickett outside of the risk of him being able to cut it at AFL level - which is the risk you take on pulling any player from the state leagues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

had 6 drafts before that to get him

Which would be fine if he looked overly draftable before his 2017 season, when he honestly didn't. He averaged close to 10 more disposals and half a goal more a game in his 2017 season than any season prior.

Which would be fine if he looked overly draftable before his 2017 season, when he honestly didn't. He averaged close to 10 more disposals and half a goal more a game in his 2017 season than any season prior.

Really? He won a B&F in 2014 and was averaging decent numbers up to drafting.
He got better as he got older, as do most recruits, thats the point of recruiting kids

Those who were making Garlett and Pickett comparisons were a bit off base for mine. Outside of being indigenous players from WA the similarities end pretty quickly. Pickett made mistakes, got his life in order, played many years in the WAFL while living a sober life raising a young family. Garlett got drafted despite his already rocky past - pi**ed away his chance quickly and then got into a deep life of crime and drug addiction. There is no 'risk' in picking someone like Pickett outside of the risk of him being able to cut it at AFL level - which is the risk you take on pulling any player from the state leagues.

Characterisations like this are not uncommon on here, so I'm not singling you out in any way, I'm just commenting on the characterisation. From what I heard from a few who dealt with him, he had an anxiety disorder while at Hawthorn and was quite upfront and honest about it. What he went on to do is something else, but while at an AFL club, to be young with an anxiety disorder and interstate, that is non-trivial. I'm not painting him as a super hero, but I think suggestions that he wilfully through his chance away are a bit unfair.

In this particular case you were comparing him to another player which is fair enough. As I said, I'm not singling you out as a strong proponent of this view...

Back