Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Grant Birchall: Playing Status: injured:- Knee / Calf. Estimated Return: Indefinite
A 31 year old who has played 5 games since the end of 2016 (5 of a possible 74).
Contract Status: expires 2019

I am not sure I see the value for the Hawks or the player if Birch comes back this year.

= We can select a player at the Mid-season draft (for Mohr) AND upgrade CJ if we put Birch on the long term injury list.

Wasn’t it announced last week that Birch was ramping up his intensity with his training again? If he manages to get back then that’s awesome but if he doesn’t then that shouldn’t sway us from picking up someone in the mid season draft tomorrow night. If Birch doesn’t look like making it back then we can put him on the long term injury list and upgrade CJ. Win win IMO.

Has Liam McBean nominated? Kicked another 4 in the SANFL today in awful conditions. Kicked 9 in round 1 against the crows as well. Still only 24 and is 202cm
I saw his 9 goals from round 1 (YouTube). Maybe 3 were from good marks but most were from crumbing and Joe-the-goose gifts. Best I can say is that he did well to be in the right positions...
After watching those 9 goals my opinion was: no thanks.

But I will add him to the poll as a “Late Addition after x votes”, if he gets a second nomination

Last edited:

Grant Birchall: Playing Status: injured:- Knee / Calf. Estimated Return: Indefinite
A 31 year old who has played 5 games since the end of 2016 (5 of a possible 74).
Contract Status: expires 2019

I am not sure I see the value for the Hawks or the player if Birch comes back this year. If Birch is to play on as a 32/33/34 year old then give his knee/leg the rest of the year to strengthen and let us try out a new guy for 6 months.

= We can select a player at the Mid-season draft (for Mohr) and upgrade CJ if we put Birch on the long term injury list.

It's a little Machiavellian, but...
240d22bf3aeda750fca5c00d2dfbf72a.jpg

It's a little Machiavellian, but...
View attachment 681295
Any reference to Mr Burns has me on your side.

But it is not Machiavellian (= cunning, scheming, and unscrupulous) at all. If Birch is going to play on next year, his knee/leg must be mint. He has been out of the game for over 2 years and so will need time to get back into it.
In a perfect world Birch comes back this year as his 27 year-old self. It can be done: Burgers is the example. But why try? When CJ is looking ready.

Mumford won his place back onto the GWS list by out-performing all other ruckman on the training track. Birch should do the same to get himself another year, while the Hawks try-out a new guy for 6 months in the mid-season draft.

Last edited:
Would like us to snare that Ben Kelly + Marlion Pickett. That Bennell chap seems a real opportunist & often loves a tackle, but I reckon he'd lack a yard of pace & not do enough at AFL level (just from highlights, haven't seen live).

Pickett is my want of the bunch, but Kelly probs the smarter option.

Edit: Dammit. Also want Nathan Freeman & maybe Mitch Hibberd.
I would have been all in on Pickett only he has broken his finger badly and will be out of the game for 8-10 weeks, at 27 years do you still want him long term?

There's no way we'd take more than 1 pick into this draft. It's been massively overhyped. I'd rather stick with a 30 y.o 4 time premiership player than a speculative local league pick any day. If Birch is ramping up his training then he could be a massive in for us in the second half of the year. He's that good.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/bombers-denied-easy-access-to-exciting-midseason-prospect

The Druggies trying to manipulate the system again? Knock me down with a feather....

"Gold Coast and Hawthorn are among the other clubs to express an interest in the 22-year-old, who was part of Brisbane's Academy as a teenager."

"There is a suspicion he won't be ready to play in the AFL until after he has gone through a pre-season at the highest level."

To play devil's advocate here, this is exactly the problem with this mid-season draft where a player is taken from their respective state league team, disrupting their season, only to not play a single game of AFL footy.

This shouldn't be a way to stockpile talent. Only select players who you have a vacancy for at the senior level.

A mid-season trade period is a far more suitable option, or increase squad lists.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-27/bombers-denied-easy-access-to-exciting-midseason-prospect

The Druggies trying to manipulate the system again? Knock me down with a feather....

"Gold Coast and Hawthorn are among the other clubs to express an interest in the 22-year-old, who was part of Brisbane's Academy as a teenager."

"There is a suspicion he won't be ready to play in the AFL until after he has gone through a pre-season at the highest level."

To play devil's advocate here, this is exactly the problem with this mid-season draft where a player is taken from their respective state league team, disrupting their season, only to not play a single game of AFL footy.

This shouldn't be a way to stockpile talent. Only select players who you have a vacancy for at the senior level.

A mid-season trade period is a far more suitable option, or increase squad lists.
Should we pick him up before the Injectors do, just for the fist pump? :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we pick him up before the Injectors do, just for the fist pump? :think:

I see poor old Tippa has been blamed for their losses. He hasn't kicked any goals in their losses so it's obviously all his fault. Maybe if we draft his cuz he'd be inclined to eventually come over from the dark side. We know how to treat the Tiwi boys properly which a former #33 could vouch for :wink:

Back