Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Hawks may not be finished recruiting for 2019
(I'll edit this post to try to keep up with current events)

Pre-Season Rookie Selection:
  • Clubs will be able to sign players via the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 to replace retired or seriously injured players.
  • To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club (Termed a pre-season supplemental selection), although they cannot be re-listed by the AFL club they left the previous season.
  • Clubs will be able to take part in the mid-season rookie draft if they have a list spot available, or if they create one by moving a long-term injured or retired player to the new 'inactive list'.

Mid Season Rookie Draft
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-03-21/afl-reveals-key-dates-for-midseason-rookie-draft
Draft rules: https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...les-clubs-allowed-to-test-up-to-three-players

-The draft will be held on the evening of Monday May 27 after the conclusion of round 10 and clubs will have until midday that day to make a list spot available.
-Players must have previously nominated for the national draft or be a delisted AFL player, although they cannot be re-listed by the AFL club they left the previous season.
-Mid-year rookies could be selected for six or 18-months.

-A player who retired in 2018 must have nominated for last year's draft to be eligible to be selected. As a result, Hawthorn champion Cyril Rioli will need to wait until 2020 for any potential AFL return.

If Tom Mitchell is out for the season then he qualifies.
Clearly Langford has retired: it seems to me we are eligible for a Rookie spot between December 1 and March 15 to replace our retired player, or hold the spot until mid 2019 draft.

The Hawks List
Totals: 38 senior, 6 Cat A rookies (including Langers) and 2 Cat B rookies = 46 players (incl. Langers). The AFL says we can have 47.
Here are links to AFL website articles about players in the frame for the mid-season draft:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04...ho-will-be-the-next-tim-kelly-or-kane-lambert
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/brothers-of-afl-stars-explayers-nominate-for-midseason-draft
This link has the full list of players who have nominated:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees

Video of players who nominated for the 2018 draft can be found of at: https://www.afl.com.au/draft/draft-tracker
  • You will need to look under the “ALL ROUNDS” list of players to the “VIEW FULL NOMINATION LIST”. Click on the box and find player by their surname’s first letter

2019 Hawthorn Team list
1 Harry Morrison, 2 Jarryd Roughead, 3 Tom Mitchell, 4 Jarman Impey, 5 James Worpel, 6 James Sicily, 7 Ben McEvoy, 8 Mitchell Lewis, 9 Shaun Burgoyne, 10 Jaeger O’Meara, 11 Conor Nash, 12 James Frawley, 13 Conor Glass, 14 Grant Birchall, 15 Blake Hardwick, 16 Isaac Smith, 17 Daniel Howe, 18 Jonathon Ceglar, 19 Jack Gunston, 20 Chad Wingard, 21 Tom Scully, 22 Luke Breust, 23 Tim O’Brien, 24 Ben Stratton, 25 Ryan Schoenmakers, 26 Liam Shiels, 27 Marc Pittonet, 28 Paul Puopolo, 29 Changkouth Jiath, 30 Kaiden Brand, 31 Ricky Henderson, 32 David Mirra, 33 Mathew Walker, 34 Jacob Koschitzke, 35 Jack Scrimshaw, 36 Dylan Moore, 37 Jackson Ross, 38 Darren Minchington, 39 Tim Mohr, 40 Harry Jones, 41 Oliver Hanrahan, 42 Teia Miles, 43 Ned Reeves, 44 Damon Greaves, 45 Will Golds, 46 James Cousins ... & Langford (no number)

Rumours and Confirmed list additions post Rookie Draft.
Edit: (I’ll make changes to this list as I see them)
Announced / possible post-draft list additions (“______” for spot, bold = Confirmed list addition)
Adelaide:................ __________
Brisbane:...............
Carlton:................. Michael Gibbons, Matt Cottrell, ___________
Collingwood:.......... __________
Essendon: ............. Zac Clarke, _______
Fremantle:..............
Geelong:.................
Gold Coast:............ Sam Fletcher , _________ (a backup ruckman), _________ (for Thompson)
GWS:..................... Shane Mumford, __________ , ________
Hawthorn............... Ned Reeves, Connor Nash - Rookie upgrade Cat B to Cat A, ________ (for Tim Mohr)
Melbourne:............. Corey Wagner, Jay Lockhart
North Melbourne:.... Tom Campbell
Port Adelaide:......... _________
Richmond:.............. Mav Weller & Sydney Stack, _______ (for Alex Rance), ___________ (Grigg)
St Kilda:................. Jonathon Marsh, Sam Rowe
Sydney: ................. Hayden McLean, ________
West Coast:............ Keegan Brooksby
Western Bulldogs:... _________, _________ (Boyd)

Last edited:

GerryLewis

All Australian
Nov 10, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
San Antonio Spurs
The Hawks are not finished recruiting.

The New AFL Rules say:
  • Clubs will be able to sign players via the rookie list between December 1 and March 15 to replace retired or seriously injured players.
  • To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club.
  • Clubs will be able to take part in the mid-season rookie draft if they have a list spot available, or if they create one by moving a long-term injured or retired player to the new 'inactive list'.
Clearly Langford has retired: it seems to me we are eligible for a Rookie spot between December 1 and March 15 to replace our retired player, or hold the spot until mid 2019 draft.

The Hawks List (I hope this is correct)
Totals: 38 senior, 6 Cat A rookies (including Langers) and 2 Cat B rookies = 46 players. The AFL says we must have 47.
We must recruit 1 more rookie, and have Langers as our 47th.

So who should we take?
Well performing state league players are going to become hot property:
Obvious players: Mitch Grigg, Mick Gibbons are likely to get on a list.

It would be intriguing to know which clubs have a full list and which clubs have saved a spot for the Pre and Mid season Rookie spots, as the Hawks have done (but that research is beyond my talents).
If you are referring to Langers being moved onto the rookie list that is a TPP move due to the fact he has a year to run on his contract. Think we are done mate.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was just thinking of this today.
Technically the list is full with 46 players.
The club may indeed be looking at moving Langers onto the inactive list - if so and the club want to then yes they
can gain a player with SPP from 1 December - 15 March 2019 or even the mid season draft.

I look forward seeing what the clubs thoughts are regarding whether or not to use this option.

Intrigue as to what when if yes or no - have no idea or when it may be or not....

I was just thinking of this today.
Technically the list is full with 46 players.
The club may indeed be looking at moving Langers onto the inactive list - if so and the club want to then yes they
can gain a player with SPP from 1 December - 15 March 2019 or even the mid season draft.

I look forward seeing what the clubs thoughts are regarding whether or not to use this option.

Intrigue as to what when if yes or no - have no idea or when it may be or not....
What "inactive" list? He's on the Rookie list and will be for all of 2019, so his payout is in the 2019 TPP.

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What "inactive" list? He's on the Rookie list and will be for all of 2019, so his payout is in the 2019 TPP.

As per the new afl rule.
A player or players who retire or sustain a long term injury can be placed on the inactive list where that player can be
replaced pre 15 March or the mid season draft.

Examples are - Vickery retires and we had no option to replace him or Blues with Docherty with the LTI.

What happens after that I'm not sure as the afl hasn't made much mention of the future post that.

As per the new afl rule.
A player or players who retire or sustain a long term injury can be placed on the inactive list where that player can be
replaced pre 15 March or the mid season draft.

Examples are - Vickery retires and we had no option to replace him or Blues with Docherty with the LTI.

What happens after that I'm not sure as the afl hasn't made much mention of the future post that.
Issue with that is the 2019 TPP will include Langford and the new rookie.

hawkermitch

Team Captain
May 5, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Issue with that is the 2019 TPP will include Langford and the new rookie.

Yes that is true but as long as the club has the salary cap available then it will be fine.

I've copied part of the rule below from AFL website:

How the rookie-list replacements will work
Pre-season list changes (Dec 1, 2018 to Mar 15, 2019)

• Clubs that have a rookie list spot available can now utilise it by signing a player during this period.
  • To be eligible, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL National Draft or previously been on the list of an AFL club.
  • If a club suffers an injury or retirement, a list spot can be created by placing a player on an inactive list, and they can now be replaced by a rookie player.
  • Clubs must have the available salary cap for that player as per the current AFL rules
Mid-season rookie draft (date to be confirmed)

• Should AFL clubs have a list spot available or one is created through a player being placed on the inactive list, they will be able to add a player to their rookie list and select players based on reverse ladder order at a mid-season date to be specified.
  • To be eligible, players must re-nominate for the mid-season rookie draft.
  • Clubs have first rights to re-contract their drafted player or he becomes a delisted free agent.

My guess is that we won’t add anyone where we don’t definitively need it. Unless a talent emerges (not sure how!), or we get someone to train with us who really impresses Clarko, I reckon we’re done.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am a bit disappointed we didn't see a new Irish connection announced this year. Often those connections are announced a few years before any actual listing... with young players visiting the club.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I’m looking at the website. 30 survivors plus scrimshaw Scully Winguard shown 33 total

Two draftees plus minchington. 36

Three elevations Mirra Cousins and Glass. 39

I guess Nash would be elevated if his trajectory continues. You don’t get to play 2 finals in front of seniors for no reason

Edit ah Langford still in that seniors list so 38

Totals: 38 senior, 6 Cat A rookies (including Langers) and 2 Cat B rookies = 46 players. The AFL says we must have 47.
We must recruit 1 more rookie,
and have Langers as our 47th.

Not 'must'...'can'

Your senior and Cat A rookies MUST total 44, which can be anything from 38 senior + 6 Cat As, to 40 senior + 4 Cats As.

After that, you can have 0-3 Cat Bs

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As part of the SSP, former listed players Mav Weller (Richmond), Keegan Brooksby (West Coast), Corey Wagner (Melbourne) and Shane Mumford (GWS) will be back on AFL lists next week.
DOUBTS over the durability of No.2 ruckman Tom Nicholls will leave Gold Coast to scour the country for ruck depth after leaving one list spot open following Friday's rookie draft

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Hawks are not finished recruiting.

The New AFL Rules say:
  • To be eligible for the new rookie-list places, players must have previously nominated for the NAB AFL Draft, or had previously been on the list of an AFL club. Termed a pre-season supplemental selection.

The Hawks List (I hope this is correct)
Totals: 38 senior, 6 Cat A rookies (including Langers) and 2 Cat B rookies = 46 players. The AFL says we can have 47.
We can recruit 1 more rookie, and have Langers as our 47th.

So who should we take?
Well performing state league players are going to become hot property:
Obvious players: Mitch Grigg, Mick Gibbons, Jye Bolton, Sydney Stack, & Marion Pickett

It would be intriguing to know which clubs have a full list and which clubs have saved a spot for the Pre and Mid season Rookie spots, as the Hawks have done (but that research is beyond my talents).

Edit:
Announced / possible post-draft list additions (bold = Confirmed list addition)
Adelaide:................
Brisbane:...............
Carlton:................. _________ (likely one of Lamb, Palmer, Fisher, Blakey, BJ, Toumpas, Hibberd, or Lever)
Collingwood:..........
Essendon: ............. Zac Clarke
Fremantle:..............
Geelong:.................
Gold Coast:............ _________ (a backup ruckman)
GWS:..................... Shane Mumford, __________
Hawthorn:.............. ?mid season draft replacement for Langers?
Melbourne:............. Corey Wagner, _______
North Melbourne:.... Tom Campbell
Port Adelaide:.........
Richmond:.............. Mav Weller & _______ (likely Sydney Stack)
St Kilda:.................
Sydney: .................
West Coast:............ Keegan Brooksby
Western Bulldogs:... _________
The Blues confirmed on Thursday they have applied for Michael Gibbons to join their squad as a train-on player, bolstering his hopes of potentially signing at Ikon Park.
Dandenong Stingrays youngster Matthew Cottrell has also been invited to train with the club, having missed out on being recruited during last month's NAB AFL Draft.

Carlton retained one vacancy on its rookie list after the list lodgement deadline but could open a second availability following an ACL injury sustained by co-captain Sam Docherty.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not 'must'...'can'

Your senior and Cat A rookies MUST total 44, which can be anything from 38 senior + 6 Cat As, to 40 senior + 4 Cats As.

After that, you can have 0-3 Cat Bs
Many thanks eldorado. I have editited the initial post and title to replace “must” and “will” with “can”.
Your constructive feedback was awesome.
I have also added some info to make the initial post as complete as I can make it.

At this stage it seems unlikely that the Hawks will use their last option for a spot on the rookie list before 2019’s seasons start. It looks like they will hold the option untill mid-season.

Teams in development mode would likely fill their list to get the guys into their system.

But the Hawks want the option to fill a gap (due to injury or other). That is a club looking to contend.

Last edited:
Back