• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

PhatHQ

Premiership Player
Sep 26, 2015
Newcastle
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If we sign a Rookie, mid year, does that give us dibs on them during the 2019 Draft or Rookie Draft?

I know you can't 'claim dibs' on a player, but it feels like there's some kinda right to them. Maybe not a right, but like a vibe...

Can anyone help with a precedent case?

You would have to think that if they sign a rookie contract & the hawks want to keep them you can simply extend the contract.
It would be odd to think you couldn’t.
I’d be looking at the March 15 & mid season draft as a jump start on a speculative pick for 2020 that will replace a delisted or retired player.
The players Alite mentioned & obviously Reeves are a good example.
Mid season is good opportunity to consolidate on someone that for what ever reason didn’t quite make the list on draft day.
Let clubs like Carlton grab the top up/Gibbons types; plucking another Luke Breust or Sam Mitchell 5 months before anyone else does is more enticing I recon.

If we sign a Rookie, mid year, does that give us dibs on them during the 2019 Draft or Rookie Draft?

I know you can't 'claim dibs' on a player, but it feels like there's some kinda right to them. Maybe not a right, but like a vibe...

If we sign them up we have the option to offer them a contract for next year

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

If you sign a rookie mid year, you have them under contract for the remainder of the season, and you are able to re-sign them beyond this initial contract. So you do have "dibs"

aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
As with others, I would be happy to take Reeves and keep a spot open for mid year.

There are 100s of players who nominated for last years draft and were overlooked for whatever reason. This is a good pre-emptive way to snare a potentially improved player on the cheap.

Rather than take a speculative pick now and hope that particular player makes it, keep an eye on the hundreds of players who would qualify and take the most promising. Some one like Tim Kelly who had nominated previously, had a breakout year in the WAFL in 2017 and then went high in the draft can selected for peanuts.

We should do this every year.

Easy Slips Catch

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 10, 2006
Fringe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
Carton having three open spots shows what a rabble they are.

The second chance rookie idea is a joke. If they want to do something decent make it a full-blown mid-season draft.

Or, maybe let the actual footy do the talking and save all these shenanigans for the off-season.

Luke Meadows – 23yo, 185cm, 86kgs – 2018 avg: 22mtch, 25.1 disp, 3.9mks, 5tcks, 7gls, 7bhs
This is an interesting one, as Meadows will be moving interstate in 2019, should he not be drafted. The 23-year-old has broken out over the past two seasons, showing his value as both an inside midfielder, and an attacking option if required.

The appealing part of Meadows’ game is his attitude and able to push through difficult situations on the field to stand out. People living on the Eastern side of Australia will get to know more about Meadows if he isn’t drafted, and his value could end up increasing as a result.

"West Perth are expected to suffer a mass exodus ahead of the 2019 WAFL season, with several key players on their way out.

Big-bodied midfielder Luke Meadows is set for a move interstate if he doesn’t get an AFL shot in this month’s national or rookie drafts.

The 23-year-old met with SANFL premiers North Adelaide this week and will also spend time in Melbourne visiting several VFL clubs including Hawthorn’s affiliate Box Hill.

The Roosters, coached by former Port Adelaide and Fremantle champion Josh Carr, already have Sandover medallist Aidan Tropiano at their disposal and are favourites to get Meadows’ prized signature."

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
https://thewest.com.au/sport/wafl/a...ture-aged-wafl-draft-prospects-ng-b881020791z

1. Luke Meadows
Position: Midfielder

Height: 185cm
Weight: 86kg
Club: West Perth
Mature-aged recruits are all the rage these days and Luke Meadows is one of the WAFL’s best. The big-bodied midfielder is coming off another dominant season at West Perth, where he averaged 25 disposals and five tackles in 22 matches and finished in the top-10 in the Sandover Medal. The 23-year-old has 90 league games under his belt, the cleanest set of hands in the WAFL and is a ready-made addition to most AFL midfields.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Milkshaker

Cancelled
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Cleanest hands in the WA league, what do you reckon about that Scully, Hendo, Smith and JOM? With the new rules this could be a smart move.

Last edited:
Surely height, weight, average stats and description as inside bull are enough to tell you that the guy is a star. sign him up.
Yeah, just like the VFL star, Gibbins, and the SANFL star Grigg. And the knock on both of them was they can't kick.

But I will say there is something to be said for taking a player who can find the pill on a regular basis.

happyhawka86

Draftee
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, just like the VFL star, Gibbins, and the SANFL star Grigg. And the knock on both of them was they can't kick.

But I will say there is something to be said for taking a player who can find the pill on a regular basis.
I’ve read somewhere that he started as a half back, so hopefully that means abit of pace and good skills

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
Has anyone on this board seen Meadows play and can give a realistic assessment of his skills?

Meadows is a natural half-back turned midfielder (past two seasons). Seriously impressed this year with his complementary play to West Perth's 'big 2' in Nelson & Black. Can find the ball, has clean hands and a decent kick with penetration. Not afraid to win his own ball and break tackles out of the contest. I was really excited when I saw he joined Box Hill, and could be handy as a depth option on an AFL list. Won't have the same impact as Gibbons at Carlton because he's not as naturally good as football, but is a seriously hard worker who should be able to support JOM, Shiels and crew as a majority outside mid.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
I didn't see enough of WP/ Meadows to form my own opinion on him but I know that he was highly regarded in WAFL circles especially after becoming a more full time mid over the last couple of seasons.

Multiple state representative if my memory serves me right and will be a handy addition to Hawthorn/ Box Hill.

I know his raw, and what young ruck isn't, but I'm a fan of Ned Reeves and am not surprised that Hawthorn are seriously considering him after a year at Box Hill's Development side.

I wanted West Coast to rookie list him in the 2017 draft but we went for Olango at the time and now have Brooksby and Williams so that ship's sailed.

McEvoy isn't young anymore and has shouldered the load for a lot of his time at Hawthorn.

Think one of the selections, if they are both used before the SPP deadline, needs to be used on a tall but.

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
As Meadows is signed on for Box Hill and obviously at this stage likely to not be first choice to play perhaps we let him play half the year at box Hill to earn a senior game and learn the systems and nab him midseason.

That way we still have an option of another type of player if the situation changes and we desperately need a key position player.

Say we are top 4 and someone is dominating the sanfl at full forward and none of our guys are coming on, I think it's worth having the option to bring that guy in to push for a flag.

Geelong did similar with podsiadly and he was a perfect partner for Hawkins.

Back