Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting RR. I would have thought our half back line of Scrimshaw - Sicily - Impey was pretty attacking. Good mix of marking power, good ball skills and a little pace. Not sure I see the need there.

I would probably go for a midfield grunter.
My view is all 3 of those you have named may be more valuable in different roles whether mid or fwd. If we have depth up back we become a far more flexible and potent side.

So if we pick up someone from a VFL club (not Box Hill), and they don’t play in the Hawthorn seniors straight away, does that mean they could possibly be playing for eg. Williamstown one week, then for Box Hill the next??
Nah they would play for your affiliate.

A player can only play against their old side if all parties agree.

And at the end of the season, if not required by their new club, they can return to their old club for finals.

sam lowson caused box hill a lot of trouble on the weekend,i would give killer from box hill a shot

Lowson was impressive, but he's a very short full forward playing one out from the square (last weekend was the only time I've seen him though). He'd need to turn to learn a whole new role in AFL.

Could be another Matt Little... or maybe another Blake Hardwick.

sam lowson caused box hill a lot of trouble on the weekend,i would give killer from box hill a shot

Is a small goal sneak the priority for the Hawks list? Not sure Far C, but if he has outstanding attributes... then yes.
If Killer = Kilpatrick, then on my viewing, he has quality.

This thread is about information. Can you inform us. ..

Last edited:
Is a small goal sneak the priority for the Hawks list? Not sure Far C, but if he has outstanding attributes... then yes.
If Killer = Kilpatrick, then on my viewing, he has quality.

This thread is about information. Can you inform us. ..
Correct Kilpatrick ,I forgot his sir name at time of posting,just remembered the boys call him killer

I heard a whisper that there's apparently a young bloke from Sandringham we have interest in, no idea of a name though

Have to try and get Michael Bennell from Perth, country lad who came up this year and from all reports is a freak. 6ft 2 lively forward. Check his stats. They reckon he will go first pick so we need to lose the next few!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This link has the full list of players who have nominated:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees

Names on the list that people have mentioned in this thread are: Matthew McGannon (Redland), Declan Carmody (North Gambier), Marlon Motlop (Glenelg), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Joseph Ayton-Delaney (Oakleigh Chargers), Zane Barzen (Murray Bushrangers), Angus Hanrahan (Sandringham Dragons), Brayden Kilpatrick (Box Hill), Sam Lowson (Coburg), Damian Mascitti (Box Hill), Luke Meadows (Box Hill), Andrew Moore (Box Hill), Kyle Reid (Geelong), Mitch Riordan (Dandenong Stingrays), Jye Bolton (Claremont), Michael Bennell (Perth), & Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle).

And some other notables: Luke Surman (Norwood), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Kieran Lovell (Kingborough), Michael Barlow (Werribee), Tom Bell (Greensborough), Aaron Black (Geelong), Nathan Boucher (Box Hill), Nathan Freeman (Frankston), Alex Johnson (Northern Blues), Peter McEvoy (Coburg), Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (Box Hill Hawks), Jonathan O'Rourke (Northern Blues), Alex Woodward (Collingwood), Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle), Corey Gault (Swan Districts), & Kade Stewart (South Fremantle)

Notable absentees from the list: Kieren Collins, Mitch Grigg, & Tom Schneider

Last edited:
The Hawks may keep the Cat A rookie spot (Mohr) so that they can bring back Tom Mitchell by downgrading Nash to Cat B rookie and straight away upgrading Nash to Cat A rookie (Mohr’s spot).

I’d think it would Only be worthwhile bringing Mitchell back if we think that we are contenders. But after hearing Clarko’s assessment of the Hawks as a “middle-of-the-road” side, I hope we give Tom the year off to get himself mint 👌 and take a player based on potential.

Last edited:
i dont watch much VFL or other second tier footy, but from what i have seen, at BHH we have a few good prospects in Mascitti, Mullenger-McHugh and Kilpatrick, also from the u/18 comp, theres a few 19 year olds that could be picked up like Angus Hanrahan, Aaron Clarke, Cody Hirst, Kyle Dunkley and a 19 yr old SA player looked good Declan Carmody or a WA 19 year old also a chance Jarvis Pina

they would be my list of potential mid-season draftees

This link has the full list of players who have nominated:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-03/midseason-rookie-draft-the-full-list-of-nominees

Names on the list that people have mentioned in this thread are: Matthew McGannon (Redland), Declan Carmody (North Gambier), Marlon Motlop (Glenelg), Hugo Munn (Sturt), Joseph Ayton-Delaney (Oakleigh Chargers), Zane Barzen (Murray Bushrangers), Angus Hanrahan (Sandringham Dragons), Brayden Kilpatrick (Box Hill), Sam Lowson (Coburg), Damian Mascitti (Box Hill), Luke Meadows (Box Hill), Andrew Moore (Box Hill), Kyle Reid (Geelong), Mitch Riordan (Dandenong Stingrays), Jye Bolton (Claremont), Michael Bennell (Perth), & Haiden Schloithe (South Fremantle).

And some other notables: Luke Surman (Norwood), Jimmy Toumpas (Woodville-West Torrens), Kieran Lovell (Kingborough), Michael Barlow (Werribee), Tom Bell (Greensborough), Aaron Black (Geelong), Nathan Boucher (Box Hill), Nathan Freeman (Frankston), Alex Johnson (Northern Blues), Peter McEvoy (Coburg), Nathan Mullenger-McHugh (Box Hill Hawks), Jonathan O'Rourke (Northern Blues), Alex Woodward (Collingwood), Marlion Pickett (South Fremantle), Corey Gault (Swan Districts), & Kade Stewart (South Fremantle)

Notable absentees from the list: Kieren Collins, Mitch Grigg, & Tom Schneider
Jye Bolton maybe lacks a yard for AFL. His play at WAFL level reminds me of Ben Cousins - just not sure it'd translate to AFL. Averages about 400 possessions a week though, so obviously does something right.

Bennell doesn't get much of it, but often couples multiple goals with 5ish tackles. He could be very dangerous as a defensive forward/goal sneak. Loves a big mark, too. Wish he had Popeye's pace as he has some very good skills & physical attributes.

Jye Bolton maybe lacks a yard for AFL. His play at WAFL level reminds me of Ben Cousins - just not sure it'd translate to AFL. Averages about 400 possessions a week though, so obviously does something right.

Bennell doesn't get much of it, but often couples multiple goals with 5ish tackles. He could be very dangerous as a defensive forward/goal sneak. Loves a big mark, too. Wish he had Popeye's pace as he has some very good skills & physical attributes.
Jye Bolton... In his highlights I see the Cousins comparison in his movement....
That said, I also see Harry Morrison in his role. Lacks pace but runs hard and racks up possessions while being a link up player.
Michael Bennell: ??? Info? If he gets on the list he will be competing against Moore, Hanrahan, and maybe CJ to stay on the list. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Jye Bolton... In his highlights I see the Cousins comparison in his movement....
That said, I also see Harry Morrison in his role. Lacks pace but runs hard and racks up possessions while being a link up player.
Michael Bennell: ??? Info? If he gets on the list he will be competing against Moore, Hanrahan, and maybe CJ to stay on the list. Thoughts?
Bennell is 6ft 2, takes hangers. Throw his name in twitter and check out the mark of the year he took couple week backs. All reports from WA say he’s an absolute jet and a better Liam Ryan.I reckon he could jolt some excitement into our side.

I would really like to see us having a look at Mitchell Hibberd, now playing for Williamstown. Very good size, gets the ball, tackles and is a good user by foot. Was the best prospect out of Tassie in the year we took Lovell.

Nice big midfielder who IMO is more talented and has the scope to offer more athletically than Howe.

I would really like to see us having a look at Mitchell Hibberd, now playing for Williamstown. Very good size, gets the ball, tackles and is a good user by foot. Was the best prospect out of Tassie in the year we took Lovell.

Nice big midfielder who IMO is more talented and has the scope to offer more athletically than Howe.
I remember Mitch Hibberd’s draft year...Burton, Hardwick and Lovell..... many thought Hibberd may come to the Hawks.... but he is an outside runner who is not better than many others.
Mitch Hibberd is a long way off being a premiership player... because that is what we are looking for. Mitch needs to bulk up and become an inside player. = see Connor Glass. If he gets noticed as an inside mid he will likely have to loose weight to become an outside runner (but like Gaff, can do it all). Mitch now... no thanks... but the Mitch I described... yep and yep.

I remember Mitch Hibberd’s draft year...Burton, Hardwick and Lovell..... many thought Hibberd may come to the Hawks.... but he is an outside runner who is not better than many others.
Mitch Hibberd is a long way off being a premiership player... because that is what we are looking for. Mitch needs to bulk up and become an inside player. = see Connor Glass. If he gets noticed as an inside mid he will likely have to loose weight to become an outside runner (but like Gaff, can do it all). Mitch now... no thanks... but the Mitch I described... yep and yep.

Have you seen Mitch now? Lacking for size isn't what I'd say to describe him anymore. He's still great on the outside, but has also hugely improved his work on the inside.

1557180402180.png

Back