Prediction Pre-Season Supplemental Selection & Mid-Season Rookie Draft

Who would you choose in the Mis-Season Draft: Multiple selections allowed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We definitely need an inside Bull. Has the guy got speed or quick hands?

He's got decent hands, better by foot though. He's a threat on the spread and a great mark too which is one of the reasons why I think the club should look at him. It's fine to get contested ball and clearances; if it's to advantage great, and if it's to advantage with a mark even better.

Davo you watch a lot of the younger guys - there was a recent article about 200cm ruckman turned defender Ben Kelly. What do you think of his prospects?

I like him as a ruck, but i generally dont like young rucks as they usually take a long time to develop, but in saying that he is a good young ruck and may get an opportunity on an AFL list.

He would be in the top 3 ruckmen in the nableague, but for the mid season draft he will be competing with VFL/SANFL/WAFL rucks as well.

Totally Agree. This could be a good leg up going forward. If we lose next three games, surely it makes sense to retire rough and birch early and draft 3 players with upside for future, its like an extra draft. Draft Munn/Bennell/Hanrahan/riordan and maybe a mature mid like pickett. Makes sense but i might be going crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graham Wright on SEN this morning said that though we have the option to pick someone up with Mohr's injury, but we are no guarantee to do so.

this quote is concerning, so we have a chance of recruiting ANY player that has nominated for the draft in the past, which is a huge amount of players, with our list and how top heavy we are in terms of age, the desperate need to find replacements and he is saying were just chillin and we arent going to bother recruiting anyone? very odd

so we can have a pick in the top 10 for the mid season draft comprising most VFL/SANFL/WAFL players and a small amount of players in the u/18's, or save the spot for our last pick in the 2019 draft/rookie draft, thats the decision you make, top 10 mid season draft pick OR end of draft pick 2019, what is more valuable?

this quote is concerning, so we have a chance of recruiting ANY player that has nominated for the draft in the past, which is a huge amount of players, with our list and how top heavy we are in terms of age, the desperate need to find replacements and he is saying were just chillin and we arent going to bother recruiting anyone? very odd

so we can have a pick in the top 10 for the mid season draft comprising most VFL/SANFL/WAFL players and a small amount of players in the u/18's, or save the spot for our last pick in the 2019 draft/rookie draft, thats the decision you make, top 10 mid season draft pick OR end of draft pick 2019, what is more valuable?
Picking up players impacts TPP to some extent which impacts our available spend next year

Is someone able to explain this bit? Feels like I fell asleep during the off-season and when I woke up read Langford who was under contract had decided to retire. No one seemed too fussed (no surprise there), and all I could find was a quote that he wanted to be a one-club player, something about helping out with the salary cap and then we picked up Michington - not exactly an earth-shattering upgrade. I'm only left to assume he was told nicely that if he chose to play out his contract he would be spending the year at Box Hill no matter how well he was performing.
Moving this conversation over here as it is more relevant.

We obviously sat down with Langers at the end of the year and had a discussion with him about his future. Perhaps we said we only saw him playing at Box Hill, perhaps we said we only saw him playing elsewhere this year, I don't know.

What we ended up with was Will deciding to retire and pursue interests outside football rather than continue at another club/play VFL etc

In the end we did the same thing Sydney did with Tippett, we delisted him and redrafted him as a rookie. This allowed the club to have the part of his settlement that equates to a typical Rookie listed player salary not count against the cap. Essentially giving a roughly $70-80k saving to TPP as well as opening up a primary list position for another player.

The next part of it was that because he was retired the new preseason supplementary draft rules meant the Hawks could use that Rookie list spot for another player if we had the space in our TPP and the inclination to do so. Enter Ned Reeves

yea but they have said you can pick a player up for only 6 months, that is an option.... its only a win-win situation
But there is still a cost. If they don't see any value to either list development or success this year from any of the available players why would they reduce their war chest for the off season?

i guess it is possible we're at max TPP for the year?
Unlikely I'd say. AFL brought in a rule a couple of years ago allowing clubs to bank up to 5% salary cap space a year over 2 years that can be used to go over the cap in the next 2 year period. We'd be crazy to not take advantage of that.

Graham Wright on SEN this morning said that though we have the option to pick someone up with Mohr's injury, but we are no guarantee to do so.

My guess is:
The Hawks may keep the Cat A rookie spot (Mohr) so that they can bring back Tom Mitchell by downgrading Nash to Cat B rookie and straight away upgrading Nash to Cat A rookie (Mohr’s spot).

Though with Tom’s minor setback I cannot see this happening:

He was on 3AW yesterday and said he was unlikely to come back this year. He’s had a little setback with the running and the club are taking a much more cautious approach. He said “I’m not going to sacrifice my career for a couple of games this year”, or words to that effect.

Was originally hoping to be running in April but is just warming up to it now. Been doing a lot of swimming and bike. If you look up 3aw football on podcasts apps you will find. Worth a listen.

Last edited:
i guess it is possible we're at max TPP for the year?
It's not about that.
You have a minimum spend every year, whether you want to use it or not you have to.

If you aren't spending the entire cap you can bank the difference to use over future years (with limits on how much and for how long)
Banking cap space this year allows us to front end a free agent contract offer and go over the cap next year.
A front ended offer done right would be hard to impossible for GWS (as an example) to match.

The more of our cap we use this year the less we have available to do that at the end of the year.

Would you want to risk missing out on Cogs because you used an extra 60k of cap on a state league player for 6 months?

Why do u think that RR. We do not make hasty decisions they are always measured.
We have dead wood in Mohr and Tom Mitch who from his last press appearance basically said he doesn't want to jeopardise the rest of his career by playing this year.

A window of opportunity to get access to a mature ager or some sort of talent. Isaac Smith Nick Hind are examples there are always blokes who.come.out of the woodwork. If we have pick 3 or so would be crazy to not use it.

Back